AR pistol caliber choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR pistol caliber choice

I am thinking of building an AR pistol to carry when checking cameras and filling feeders. I figure it will be easier to maneuver in and out of the truck when riding lease roads and such. My question is though, should I go 300blk or 5.56? What do you think?

either, which one do you like best?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
        either, which one do you like best?
        I have a full length rifle in each caliber. I take my 300 with me now, mostly because I like the hardware on it better, and since it's still deer season I figure a heavier bullet couldn't hurt. I am leaning toward a 5.56 just for cheaper ammo, but I was wondering if there is an advantage of the 300 over the 5.56 in a pistol. It's mainly gonna be in case I run up on a hog or two, or a predator, in the off season.
        Last edited by Bucksaw; 01-13-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

Any particular reason why?

Comment

Fun round. Good stopping power. It would be like walking around with a 30-30.

Comment

Of the 2 options, 300blk shooting subsonics, 6 inch barrel and suppressed. It's a pig killing machine and for walking around checking cameras, most shots I would assume be less than 100 yards. Its quiet enough you could wipe out a whole sounder of hogs before they scatter.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                Of the 2 options, 300blk shooting subsonics, 6 inch barrel and suppressed. It's a pig killing machine and for walking around checking cameras, most shots I would assume be less than 100 yards. Its quiet enough you could wipe out a whole sounder of hogs before they scatter.
                While that would be fun, I'm not shelling out the coin for a suppressor. Plus, the length of the suppressor would negate the purpose of building the pistol.

Comment

If you are going to build a pistol, why not a pistol caliber?
                  Either 10mm or 45 ACP would be fun rounds in an AR and sufficient for pigs.

My thoughts since you already have the other calibers.

T

Comment

300 Blackout since it was designed to perform in short barrels. I would keep the barrel length around 8” because there is little performance gain by going longer.

Run the purpose built Barnes 110 grain TAC TX rounds and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

9mm cheap ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

.300 BO was designed to shoot out of a short barrel. But neither are really fun to shot out of short barrels because they are so loud and I'm guessing if you are just checking cards and feeders you woun't have ear plugs or muffs.

Personally if I was going to do that I would get a little krink AK in 7.62x39.

Comment

Working...
                        X