Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find
Default Nilgai hunt booked!!

Did a little bit of trade out and January 26th I will be heading south the chase a big blue bull! Gonna take my .308 on the trip. I know a lot of people say you need a magnum caliber but I would rather take a rifle that I am comfortable shooting and put a good shot on one in the vitals. Now I do have one question, I currently shoot 168 grain sierra game king rounds. My rifle will shoot groups at 300 yards that you can cover with a nickle, using this ammo. Is that an adequate bullet for a nilgai? I shot an elk with it at just over 300 yards over the Christmas holiday and he folded up like a cheap lawn chair but I know these nilgai are tough, tough animals.
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

I've always heard that you "should" use a bonded bullet (e.g., partition) or a mono bullet (e.g., Barnes). I'd also think a 180gr would be better.

And, congrats on booking the hunt.
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Mrsailfish
Four Point

I think most places require a 300 win mag at the smallest to use. The also require bonded bullets as already said.
Mrsailfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County
Default Nilgai hunt booked!!

My dad shot this cow on our lease last week with his 270 WSM shooting a 130 grain nosler partition. She weighed 210 dressed, puts the live weight around 240-250. She went maybe 100 yards with a blood trail that I could following looking backwards over my shoulder. Name:  IMG_5025.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  127.8 KB
If I were hunting a bull I wouldnít hesitate to use that 308, Iíd be aiming for a neck shot though, we have a good bull on camera right now, if he steps out on me the bullet is headed straight to his neck, no fun dragging those animals out of the brush. If it makes you feel better, a hunter I know shot a 300 pound bull with his 243, he said it spun him around in his tracks and dropped him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jmsck12; 01-09-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
IDFWU
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

Not much help on the type of bullet but you deff should practice shooting off sticks while standing. Bracken range will let you do it. Before I hunted mine I practiced off a bench at 100 to establish my group of 4. Then stood up and shot 4 as fast & smooth as I could....obviously there was a big difference. But after some practice I had a manageable group off the sticks.

Obviously a 300+ yard shot off of sticks is way harder than prone or on a bench rest. I got lucky, mine came out at about 450+ yards and walked right towards us. When he got to 75 yards I shot him in the middle of the chest (he was facing us), then ran up and put another in his vitals as he was crashing down.

Also, who are you hunting with?
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

IMO most people over think, nilgie and elk , a good .30cal will kill them DRT I have seen them killed with British 303 ,7x57 .270 .dont rush your shot and just punch a good hole in them
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

I had a guy that was shooting 150 grain remington core lokt's out of a 30-06. his first shot was too far back and into the guts. after we chased it down, we found it with it's head in a water trough. It stood up and he shot it in the neck from about 65 yards away. I told him to keep shooting until it was dead. He had to hit it 3 times total in the neck from 65-80 yards away. not a single bullet passed through the neck. He was putting them in a good spot but those bullets just weren't penetrating for ****. so, shoot a good bullet.

I've seen them killed with .243 and 25-06, but that's not ideal. head on shots in the white throat patch is a good spot. I have a buddy that's killed a couple hundred of them, and his favorite shot was head on, dead center in the chest. If you can get a quartering away shot and tuck one up behind the shoulder bones, that works pretty good too. High shoulder shots that might hit back and be high in the lungs will usually lead to a long trailing. the hide on their lower neck and shoulders is very thick, so 300 yards with a .308 wouldn't be my first choice.
Attached Images

Last edited by kyle1974; 01-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
dphillips62
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

I would look at something in the 175 to 180gr range i have been using a hornady 178 gr ELD-X very accurate and well constructed. I took a moflon ram at 480 yards just before thanksgiving (I know it's not a Nilgai) also took a large boar at 600 yards the 178 gr blew through both shoulders with my 308. Had to throw away both shoulders on the hog because it was too damaged.
dphillips62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Barring any restrictions from the place you are hunting, the 308 should be fine. Take your time and make the right shot and you will have your trophy. I would try to keep it inside 200 yards just for the extra energy dump over 300 yards.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
Dlove
Six Point

Hunt In: Hondo, Tx

My son shot this bull a few weeks back. 7mmSTW 150gr Barnes triple shock dropped in his tracks bullet ended up under the hide on opposite shoulder. I used partitions before but they loose a lot of weight when shot out of hot guns and nothing seems to beat the Barnes. The bull my son shot had hide over an inch thick.
Attached Images

Dlove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Good luck on your hunt
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlove View Post
My son shot this bull a few weeks back. 7mmSTW 150gr Barnes triple shock dropped in his tracks bullet ended up under the hide on opposite shoulder. I used partitions before but they loose a lot of weight when shot out of hot guns and nothing seems to beat the Barnes. The bull my son shot had hide over an inch thick.

That bull is beatiful, love the color, Iíve only seen one other one like that and he was on refuge land.

Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #13
Rick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction

It is weird, you can kill them w an arrow, but not w a 308?

I have always heard that you need 300 or bigger, the one I shot was with a 300, good shot and still went 100 yards, they are super tough animals
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
bustacap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Mexico

Hit a bull in the shoulder with my 280ai and 145gr Barnes LRX at 200yds....
Never found the bull and only one drop of blood.
Stay away from the shoulder! If I could take the shot over again, it would have been in the neck. Keep shot within 200 yds and you’ll be fine.
bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

I shot my nilgai cow with a 300gr SGK from my 375 Ruger. It killed the animal but the jacket separated...but no question did it kill it. If I hunt then again I will still take my 375 but will probably use a 270gr TSX or a NPT

They arenít bulletproof but they are tough. I personally would use a tougher bullet than the SGK.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

a 308 with 165 GMK's should do the trick no problem if you make a good shot.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

It would probably work but I would opt for a tougher bullet that a Sierra Gameking. There is a reason that most outfitters recommend or require a minimum of .300 Magnum.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Low Lander
Nubbin' Buck

Default .308 is fine

Folded this one up with a .308/168gr winchester silvertip.....they never un-track if you shoot them a little high.
Attached Images

Low Lander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
ttu1997
Six Point

Hunt In: In your stand when you are gone

I have guided several hunters and killed several bulls myself. I used a 165 gr hornady 30-06 and would get a full bullet mushroom every time and about 60% of the time full pass through on behind the shoulder shots breaking ribs on both sides. Many times the bullets that did not pass all the way through we found just under the skin on opposite sides. I have also killed them with 270 140 gr partitions. Clients had luck with magnums and non-magnum loads. I think if you stick to a bonded type bullet at or above 150 gr and you have a good shot placement you will be fine. They are tough animals. Have fund and good luck.
ttu1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
ShawnG
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan County

Good luck. Should be fun!
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
Dustinb09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
I had a guy that was shooting 150 grain remington core lokt's out of a 30-06. his first shot was too far back and into the guts. after we chased it down, we found it with it's head in a water trough. It stood up and he shot it in the neck from about 65 yards away. I told him to keep shooting until it was dead. He had to hit it 3 times total in the neck from 65-80 yards away. not a single bullet passed through the neck. He was putting them in a good spot but those bullets just weren't penetrating for ****. so, shoot a good bullet.

I've seen them killed with .243 and 25-06, but that's not ideal. head on shots in the white throat patch is a good spot. I have a buddy that's killed a couple hundred of them, and his favorite shot was head on, dead center in the chest. If you can get a quartering away shot and tuck one up behind the shoulder bones, that works pretty good too. High shoulder shots that might hit back and be high in the lungs will usually lead to a long trailing. the hide on their lower neck and shoulders is very thick, so 300 yards with a .308 wouldn't be my first choice.
That exact same thing happened to me same bullet and caliber.
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
IMO most people over think, nilgie and elk , a good .30cal will kill them DRT I have seen them killed with British 303 ,7x57 .270 .dont rush your shot and just punch a good hole in them
It's not over thought at all..
Nilgai BULLS are extremely tuff animals with VERY thick skin.. The ranches that sell these hunts want you to do your best to drop them or at least get a complete pass through. These things can run forever even when they are hit good.. No pass through means no blood trail and without one finding one in the thick brush is next to impossible..

I've seen the ski. On big mature bulls up to 1.5 inch thick in the neck/shoulder area with most being at least 3/4"-1" thick..

That being said I know a guy who killed one with a .243.
Right below the era hole.
The big guns are a better choice IMO but it can be done with smaller calibers but your chances of loosing one do go way up..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
kyle1974
Pope & Young

MySRT8U, when you kill the bull and cape it out, pick the cape up. with the head and cape they probably weigh about 80 pounds! good luck, they're a fun animal to hunt
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #24
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
It's not over thought at all..
Nilgai BULLS are extremely tuff animals with VERY thick skin.. The ranches that sell these hunts want you to do your best to drop them or at least get a complete pass through. These things can run forever even when they are hit good.. No pass through means no blood trail and without one finding one in the thick brush is next to impossible..

I've seen the ski. On big mature bulls up to 1.5 inch thick in the neck/shoulder area with most being at least 3/4"-1" thick..

That being said I know a guy who killed one with a .243.
Right below the era hole.
The big guns are a better choice IMO but it can be done with smaller calibers but your chances of loosing one do go way up..

Nilgai Bullls:
These beasts are tough! I put 3 rounds of 7Mag in the first of my bulls. First round was center high and right into the rear lung. He continued running without a skip. Next hit was just behind that in the gut. He went down after the 3rd round hit him in the high neck.

I avoid the mid-base neck area. Nothing passes through there.
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #25
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Spend more time studying their vitals if you're a life long deer hunter. They're much more forward and upright than those on a deer and it's really easy to hit an area too far back that may eventually kill them, but not in time for you to collect them.

I'd say the stories on them are both founded in reality and exaggerated based on my experience. My buddy shot a pretty big bull with a .270 and it went like 20 yards and piled up. I shot a cow with my .308 and MIGHT have hit her an inch back of ideal and she ran for like 5 hours. Kept laying down, but always jumped before I could get a shot off.

Point being: Make your shot and you'll be fine.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #26
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Here's one of mine that made the books.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #27
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Thanks for the advice guys. It definitely gives me something to think about! I may have to break the 7mag out for this one. I am definitely very excited. This has been a bucket list hunt for me for a long, long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #28
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

I've witnessed a lot of success with 7Mag or any fast moving 30 cal
Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #29
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. It definitely gives me something to think about! I may have to break the 7mag out for this one. I am definitely very excited. This has been a bucket list hunt for me for a long, long time!

If you have a 7mm Mag by all means use it.. Without hesitation over the .308.
Shoot a heavy(160gr+)Barnes or Nosler Partion bullet.
The extra power will do you well..
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #30
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Here's one of mine that made the books.
Great bull.. Who do you hunt with? I have the Nilgai itch very bad again....
Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #31
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

I don't know much about nilgai but I have killed one mature bull. I used a 300 win mag with 180 grain barnes. Im glad I had the knock down power. I think some people over hype how tough they are, but they are a tough animal. If it were me I would take a larger caliber. From what people have told me is they don't bleed much, the skin is thick and elastic like. Good shot placement is very important.
Shurshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #33
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I built some 168 TTSX Barnes 30.06 loads for a friend. It folded up his nilgai with one shot. I don't know any significant details about shot placement.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #34
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurshot View Post
I don't know much about nilgai but I have killed one mature bull. I used a 300 win mag with 180 grain barnes. Im glad I had the knock down power. I think some people over hype how tough they are, but they are a tough animal. If it were me I would take a larger caliber. From what people have told me is they don't bleed much, the skin is thick and elastic like. Good shot placement is very important.
This is very true that they,don't bleed much , and do have strong adrenal systems,my last bull I shot on the Kennedy was hobbling around with a broken shoulder and I broke his neck with my 300 then put a 22mag final shot by the ear, he pumped blood out of the .22 hole for probably 2-3 minutes! They do get tougher after that first shot
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #35
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

I'm dying to go after one of these. Good luck on the hunt!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #36
IDFWU
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

Who are you hunting with?
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #37
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

best eating animal in my opinion.
Shurshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #38
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDFWU View Post
Who are you hunting with?

Kayote Barrera

Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #39
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I've never hunted the blue bull so take my opinion for what it's worth...a cup of coffee

I feel a 308 will do the job but it's a minimum and as always great shot placement is key. That's really a stupid comment that we see repeated all to often. I don't care if you're shooting an 80 pound doe with a 300 anything mag, gut shoot her and it will be a long day.

As to the bullet choice, I think it's a good one and that bullet is say underrated for some reason. I saw a pile of them from a 7 and 300 mag recovered from an African hunt. Additionally, my dad shot a mature audad with a 7stw at 150 yards with a perfect shoulder pass through and a golf ball sized exit.

My point there is that 160 grain 7stw was going much faster at 150 yards then your 308 at the muzzle and still held together on a tough 300 ram.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #40
lordvader
Nubbin' Buck

Don't believe everything you here. Nilgai are tough, but not that tough. Some people will have you believe that you need a 375 H&H magnum to down these antelope. And some outfitters require a certain caliber, usually something like a 35 caliber and up. The nilgai I have shot in the past were killed with a 3006. I used 165 grain speer grand slams. The farthest nilgai I shot went 50 yards and keeled over. This year I hunted LRGV East Lake down in the Valley. It was a shotgun only hunt, with slugs, for deer and nilgai. Me and my son took two deer. But one of the other hunters shot a good size nilgai bull with a 12 gauge slug, one shot to knock it down and one to finish it. The bull dropped in its tracks. I know cause I went to go help the hunter get it out. You can kill nilgai with a 3030 if you can hit them. So don't believe all these BS'rs about you gotta have a cannon to kill nilgai. You don't. Shot placement is the key to a successful hunt. Your 308 will drop one, and if that is what you are comfortable shooting, then use it. Sorry for the long post, good luck on your nilgai hunt.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #41
kyle1974
Pope & Young

sure... 99% of the ranches and outfitters have established minimum calibers or bullet weights for no reason at all....

you can kill a nilgai with a 22 magnum if you hit it in the brain. For guided hunts with outfitters, shots are rarely under ideal conditions, and often at running animals. all this talk about critical, careful bullet placement is out the window when you start shooting at a bull on the run, or even a walk. you need to be prepared for the non ideal shot, not expect the perfect one.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #42
Brack
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I shot my bull with a 150 gr accubond in my 308. We topped a hill and caught him bedded down. He stood up immediately and was about to take off, and I had a fairly easy freehand shot at about 40 yards. He was standing straight on to me and I hit him near the bottom of the beard. His feet came out underneath him. The bullet was came no where near passing through, but it was enough to break the spine.

My brother shot one with a 7mm rem mag 160 grain sierra bullet in the base of the neck area. It hit the dirt and was kicking. Then it got up, and they still haven't seen it. So, moral to the story, you have to hit em good and even if they hit the ground, be ready for a follow up. Good luck.
Brack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #43
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

I have decided to take the 7 mag. I am very comfortable with it it is just a bit longer barrel and heavier all around rifle so shooting out of a truck may be a bit more difficult. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am very confident in my shooting ability but **** happens lol. All in all I am extremely excited!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #44
taylormade820
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county

super jealous. let us know how it goes!! I've wanted to take one in south Texas for a long time and hope to do so really soon!
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #45
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

[QUOTE=ttaxidermy;13087024]Great bull.. Who do you hunt with? I have the Nilgai itch very bad again....[/QUOT

Several over the last 11 years. All adjacent to the Kennedy and King properties.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #46
JJtomball
Six Point

Hunt In: Mertzon

Shot this one with a 300 WM with Barnes ttsx 180 at 100 yards and it never touched the backside ribs. It went in behind the front side leg and hit 1 rib and stopped in the chest cavity. Took out both lungs and top of heart.

b
JJtomball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #47
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtomball View Post
Shot this one with a 300 WM with Barnes ttsx 180 at 100 yards and it never touched the backside ribs. It went in behind the front side leg and hit 1 rib and stopped in the chest cavity. Took out both lungs and top of heart.

b

Why do people keep saying theee animals are tough? Pfffft. Just because they can stop one the highest weight retention bullets in about a foot?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #48
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtomball View Post

b
Thatís a good bull for sure.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #49
JJtomball
Six Point

Hunt In: Mertzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
Thatís a good bull for sure.

That's field dressed already. It was between 550 and 600 live weight.
JJtomball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #50
RPB
Six Point

Hunt In: A Big Oak,A Big Pecan Tree, and a Fertilizer Tank

I hunted the Laguna atascosa NWR two weeks ago and was able to bag a really nice bull. Shot him quartering away at 350 win a 139g out of a 7mm. Went in behind last rib and we found slight fragmenting when skinning and cutting the brisket and neck meat off. Ran 70yards and piled up

My buddy shot his bull at about 200 with a 270 that was quartering away. Entry at the last rib. Never saw any sign or damage when we cleaned the animal. Dropped within 50 yards

Both bulls were in the 500-600 pound range
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top