Recurve under water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve under water

Hey guys who refinished bows? I've got a Sweptwing recurve that was submerged for 24+ hours. Limbs are still straight and riser looks good except finish looks speckled. Thanks Brad

"Submerged." 24 hours? Esplain, please. Spearfishing? Sounds like a story should be told.

Comment

Sounds like harvey got him

Comment

Of course, Harvey. Apparently, I'm not situationally aware. Hope all is well with the bow and everything else. Praying for all affected by the storm.

Comment

Hate to hear of your situation. In my 60+ years of bowhunting I've never encountered that problem. I'm keeping an eye on this tread.

I know there are people out there that can give you some good advice. I'm just not one of them, sorry.

JC

Comment

Left one in the bottom of a boat once after bowfishing. Rain overnight and bow under water. Wasn't even 24 hours. Maybe 12. Took it out and let it dry for a few days. First time I tried to draw it the limbs delaminated. Old Bear bow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow that's a 1st time I've heard of I know 1 of my risers had a bad chip, was told to fill with super glue to kept moisture out ... ??

Comment

Have you shot it....my first concern would be to see if it's structurally sound and safe to shoot after being under water that long.

Comment

Yep Harvey got me 5'3" of Cedar Bayou in my house. Had it in sock hanging vertical so 3/4 of bow was under water. Haven't tried to string it yet. Got to get another stringer it was in the archery accessory cabinet in garage. Flow blew through back 10' door took everything with it. There is a frig I haven't found yet. Thanks for any advice. Hey Billy how you doing.

Comment

This is just a suggestion, may be completely wrong. Idk

Sand the old finish off and let it set in a low humidity environment ( indoors) for a month or so. Most epoxy used in bow construction is waterproof once it sets. the core and riser wood would be the concern. Then slowly check it on a tillering tree so there is distance between you and the bow. If all is good spray a new finish.
                    If you'd like you can send it to me and I can do it I'll test it out for you. Free of charge. A new finish would cost ya though! Lol
                    Last edited by Randy Madden; 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                      This is just a suggestion, may be completely wrong. Idk

Sand the old finish off and let it set in a low humidity environment ( indoors) for a month or so. Then slowly check it on a tillering tree so there is distance between you and the bow. If all is good spray a new finish.
                      If you'd like you can send it to me and I can do it I'll test it out for you. Free of charge. A new finish would cost ya though! Lol
                      Since Randy offered, this is what I'd do. I'd have a bowyer look at it if it were me. Either way, hopefully it can be saved.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate all your input. Randy thanks for the offer I may take you up on that after deer season. I've got a lot on my plate right now. Just in case pm me where I can send it or bring it. Thanks Brad

Comment

Working...
                        X