Drilling and tapped my 1187 receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling and tapped my 1187 receiver

Talked to a gunsmith here in town and he wanted to charge $150 for the labor.....so I figured being the diy guy that I am I could handle it!

Ordered a picitanny rail off of eBay...

Found the center of the receiver, squared my drill press to it, then got to measuring out the location of the holes. Put my #31 bit in and drilled them out.

Next I put it in my vise and began to carefully thread the holes with a 6-48 tap

Finished that up then put the rail on to see how it fit......perfect and saved myself $150!!!

awesome!

Comment

Well heck yeah! Now spend that $150 on shells and go shoot something!

Comment

Nice work! Glad you tapped it by hand. Lately, I've seen people using a drill to tap with and that just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
          Nice work! Glad you tapped it by hand. Lately, I've seen people using a drill to tap with and that just sounds like a bad idea to me.
          Works fine with smaller taps. I've never tapped a gun, but drill and tap a bunch of holes at work. 1/4" or less, I use a drill.

Comment

That's great work man and looks good too.

Comment

Nicely done !!

Comment

What's going on top?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post

Yeah especially blind holes. I've seen some guys break a tap off in an expensive part trying to save time. OP nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                    What's going on top?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    probably a leupold with turkey plex reticle, with quick release rings. I'm fine with open sights have killed decoy shy turkeys out to 51yards with them, but I carry a few newbys each year and you'd be surprised how easily a person can miss a turkey inside 15 yards with a shotty.
                    Last edited by MASTERS; 05-03-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      Works fine with smaller taps. I've never tapped a gun, but drill and tap a bunch of holes at work. 1/4" or less, I use a drill.
                      I do it sometimes for non critical pieces, but I feel I'd mess up and strip the threads or something if it was important.

Comment

Clamp the tap in the chuck of the drill press, put the part to be tapped in the table vise, and turn the chuck by hand---no power tapping for me.

Comment

looks good!

Comment

If you ever do it again, or for anyone reading this and thinking about doing it. Get a tap wrench with guide.

Drill one hole, don't move the piece, chuck up the wrench with guide, and insure your threads are dead center and vertical. Guide keeps the threads from being on an angle.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Clamp the tap in the chuck of the drill press, put the part to be tapped in the table vise, and turn the chuck by hand---no power tapping for me.
                              I tapped it by hand

Comment

Working...
                              X