Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County, Medina/Kerr Counties
Default Lease ride opinions needed

I am finally tired of riding a 4 wheeler to the deer stand in the cold, in the rain, then wrestling a deer or pig onto the front or back rack and trying to get it secured down to make the ride back to camp and to the skinning rack.
So, my question is;
If you were going to buy yourself a different ride and you were making a choice between 3 different rides that were all at the same price point, all have clear titles, all are mechanically sound.....etc....
Would you choose a

Yamaha rhino 700

Soft top YJ jeep

Soft top suzuki samurai

If it not too much trouble...why would you make the choice you make
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

How far you are traveling? I was using my truck for awhile where I hunt but it was taking me a lot longer to get to the blind and way too long to fill feeders because I had to drive 10mph or less. I ended up with a new mule last year and don’t regret it one bit.
CSanders is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Jeep...

I find SXS a lot louder than a Jeep and my Jeep will go places where my brother in laws SXS got stuck... Jeep sits higher without mods so more clearance on rockier terrain. Jeep came fully enclosed without buying a bunch of additional add ons.

Last edited by nursejenn; 02-24-2018 at 10:16 AM.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Jeep....

Year round usability, can run to the store for groceries, and it will be worth what you paid 8yrs later unlike a UTV. Almost the same hassle to trailer as a crew UTV's but you can flat tow a jeep unlike a UTV if you choose. Zuks are cool but the age and maintenance would be a negative to me unlike the jeep.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed Outdoors View Post
How far you are traveling? I was using my truck for awhile where I hunt but it was taking me a lot longer to get to the blind and way too long to fill feeders because I had to drive 10mph or less. I ended up with a new mule last year and donít regret it one bit.
Its not a huge lease so if i went to the farthest stand that is there now .....its around 4-5 miles round trip in typical lampasas county terrain
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Hornfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Bridgeport and Collin

Jeep!
Hornfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Yamaha your still gonna be cold. Sami to me is too small. I'd go with jeep for cover and size.

I have a 2005 mule 3010 2 seater and really like it for warm weather. I think the ultimate lease vehicle would be an old 4x4 suburban that has cargo doors and a heater and AC that works
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Hoytbowhunter
Ten Point

Sami
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Of those 3, the YJ. Parts are readily available. Can drive it into town. Has more power for the highway than a Sami.

Have you considered a Jeep Cherokee? They can generally be found for pretty reasonable.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
mexico70
Six Point

Hunt In: Sutton co.

Jeep unless you are in extreme rocky and hilly conditions then I'd choose the UTV. Simply because the jeep will beat you to death unless you go slow. Where a UTV is much smoother over the really rocky stuff. I've got both and depending on where I'm hunting is the one I choose. If I'm hunting down in the Devils river country with nothing but rock and canyons I could cut 20 min off my drive to the blind in my UTV. But when I'm hunting NE of Sonora where our ranch is much flatter and roads are in better shape it's a no brainer the jeep is my choice it's much dryer and warmer.
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I thought about a SXS, but a couple of places I cannot get one to my feeder due to narrow tree lined trails. It would take too much trimming of trees to open up the lanes to get a SXS or anything bigger to those locations. I have a small trailer with a removable back gate to haul all my corn and to load all my dead stuff in it when needed. It is the same width as my 4 wheeler and it is easy to load any hog or deer in without any help. Put the back panel back on and no need to strap anything down. When it is cold, I just wear a nice rainsuit to cut the wind and that helps a ton, also wear it during a rain.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Had 2 SAMI would be my fst choice..But parts are not too avaliable..But you need to be able to work on them...they do not break often.they ride ruff so keep tires at 20psi helps ride a bunch
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
Hoytbowhunter
Ten Point

Best Buy right here if I didn't have one already, I would be all over this one, fuel injected can't go wrong there, http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=681351
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

All of those SxS and jeeps are way overpriced for what you get. Find you a high mileage 4x4 pickup in good shape and come out way ahead with a vehicle that will do a lot more for you. You cant haul jack in that jeep or samauri (feed, dead animals, etc).

I have had 3 SxS and a Jeep CJ7 in the past.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Samurai or Jeep... a lot cheaper and you have a heater when it gets cold. They do ride rough though .
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #16
Luck_of_the_Draw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Thinking of taking up fishing.

Samurai or track/kick.
Luck_of_the_Draw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Used jeep will hold almost 100% of its value vs a side by side that looses 40% in 2 years..... if jeep fits your needs. Where i hunt nothing but a 4 wheeler will get there, so that's my option. But if i were in a non gumbo mud situation with rougher terrain I'd consider others.
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #18
KMO8204
Four Point

Hunt In: Junction, Texas

I'll be watching this one... I'm currently debating between getting another SxS or a Toyota Tacoma. I like the truck for a/c & heat, but I think the SxS can get in tighter places and you don't have to worry about scratching the paint rubbing against cedar bushes.
KMO8204 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

I sold my 4 wheeler and bought a jeep Cherokee. It’s just my lease ride so I don’t mind driving it through the brush and scratching it. Lots of extra room to.

Last edited by CoolArrow; 02-25-2018 at 08:17 AM.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #20
Caddo Creek
Four Point

Hunt In: Stephens County
Default Lease ride opinions needed

SxS
1. Smooth riding over very rough terrain.
2. Minimal rutting of roads and pastures.
3. A windshield takes most of the chill off of you....they also make a zip on canvas enclosure with soft windshields for extreme days. Similar to jeeps and not too pricey.
4. A trailer hitch carrier makes easy loading of animals in all scenarios and keeps mess out of the bed or back of Jeep or Samuri.

I have a trans-mule that converts so from 2 to 4 very easily....or 3 to 6 if you pack them in a bit.

Last edited by Caddo Creek; 02-25-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Caddo Creek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #21
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Jeep

Only reason is because I really like jeeps and I have really enjoyed my Jeep Liberty
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #22
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

1/2 ton crew is what I use, a small 4 door like a Tacoma or Dakota is great lease vehicles. U can find dakotas pretty cheap in early 2000s models
KactusKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Appreciate all the info and opinions. I think im going with the jeep. The guy was asking only $3,000 & we settled on $2,500. The thing is in really good shape (brought a guy that works for me that builds jeeps as a side business) he said structually and mechanically its a sound machine.
New tags and its street legal. Newly rebuilt 4 cylinders, 5 speed, 4wd works, no ac but heat will run you out.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #24
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
Appreciate all the info and opinions. I think im going with the jeep. The guy was asking only $3,000 & we settled on $2,500. The thing is in really good shape (brought a guy that works for me that builds jeeps as a side business) he said structually and mechanically its a sound machine.
New tags and its street legal. Newly rebuilt 4 cylinders, 5 speed, 4wd works, no ac but heat will run you out.
I approve of this choice (not that you asked)! Get one of those receiver hitch transport thingamajiggers and you can out your deer or corn on that. Heck it's not any easier getting a deer into the end of a pivkup. We also have a small trailer at our lease that I can use to pull behind the jeep if necessary and it's way better than driving the hubbys big F250 around out there. Or just carry your deer like I do mine...

nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #25
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Ideal is a small 4x4 pickup like a ranger or Toyota. They’ll go just about anywhere while keeping you dry. Find one with working heat and maybe A/C. Plus you can haul bags of corn, deer, a ladder, or whatever else you need.

I have an 84 bronco ii and my only regret is it doesn’t have a bed.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

This is for sale around the corner from me. Street legal 49 cj2a

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #27
shiggs
Spike

If your hunting area doesn't require you to get into super small areas, there is definitely something to be said for the money you can save by going a different route than the SXS being what those things command in price.
shiggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top