Planting Texas Persimmons to attract deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting Texas Persimmons to attract deer

Anyone tried this? How did it work out? Where would I be able to buy, say 200 seeds (google was little help)

I love them, ate them all the time as a kid and I know deer love them..

Diospyros texana Aka Texas Persimmon.

Be better to get seedling plants wouldn't it ? You might try Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries. And before Burnadell makes another rule, it is Nativ with no "e" the way they spell it.

Comment

I don’t see any on their site but they do have good prices on other trees. I will give them a shout.

Comment

I have thousands of those on my lease. I eat the heck out of them and i know that deer like them( sorta ) but i have not seen any evidence they go crazy over them. I have watched deer walk right past them and in 28 years on my lease i have never seen a deer eat one.

Comment

But they do make a nice slingshot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting, flywise, I thought deer loved them. And yes, the wood of the big ones is dark and really hard. Polishes up real well.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMCasey View Post
              Interesting, flywise, I thought deer loved them. And yes, the wood of the big ones is dark and really hard. Polishes up real well.
              It is interesting because ive heard they love them my whole life but honestly never seen one take a bite. I taped a game cam to one loaded with ripe fruit a couple years ago to see if anything was coming to my hand corn.The next day i took the camera off and I sat in the brush about 50 yds away. Several deer walked to the bush ( i was thinking i would finally see a deer eat some of them) but they all smelled the spot the camera had been. I was confused then remembered that i had taped the camera to the bush with electrical tape. The did not eat the persimmons but they were interested in the tape residue on the bush.

Comment

I have a grove behind my house and only see deer eat them in late winter, after the season usually, when everything else is gone. A lot of other wildlife eat them though including coyotes.

Comment

I’m starting to think it’s a Texas thing or at least near Weatherford or Benbrook. They absolutely hammer them back home in Mississippi and other parts of the Deep South in early Fall. I moved to Texas and saw them all over a couple of places and just knew I was in the chips, but I’ve yet to see a deer here eat them and I’ve had trail cams on them too. I thought it was super strange also, but that’s what I’ve experienced here in Texas on the couple places I’ve hunted over 12+ years here. Of course back home we couldn’t bait at all so it was browse or Persimmons early and they would sit under the persimmons trees waiting for them to drop. Then on to the white oak acorns... Maybe it’s Corn or other supplemental feed here that make persimmons not as sought out. Who knows

Comment

When fishing I've seen deer swim to a thin island that had some loaded persimmon trees. They stayed over there a couple hours gobbling them things up then swam back across the river channel. I guess it all depends on whats available and what they prefer in that area.

Comment

We have lots of them; the only thing I am sure like them are the raccoons. Haven't seen any sign the deer do.

I've heard you can make syrup out of them. How else are you all eating them?

Comment

Love em I North Texas

They will hit them every day waiting for one or two to drop late season where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          We have lots of them; the only thing I am sure like them are the raccoons. Haven't seen any sign the deer do.

I've heard you can make syrup out of them. How else are you all eating them?
                          Persimmon pie and jam are possible too.

We have a tree at my parents and when the are ready, i will get a few to snack on during my walk to the stand.

Comment

I have them growing on my lease. Something eats them. Mostly coons I think. I haven't noticed deer hitting them much to make me hunt over the persimmon trees.

Comment

You would probably have more luck planting apple trees

Comment

Working...
                              X