Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More CWD info

Things you may have heard about CWD by Texas Wildlife Association

... This article provides a counterweight to things you may have heard about CWD from those who feel CWD is of no significance.

Following are 7 statements you may have heard about CWD and reasons why these statements are misleading at best and absolutely false at worst. ...

I would have copied the article, but there are too many references to properly include here.

#3 CWD has spread remarkably fast....duh, it IS remarkable how fast a truck/trailer can move.

Comment

Nothing to see here folks....move along.

Comment

I'm amazed by the amount of facts and data that are constantly left out of both sides of the CWD discussion. To blame CWD on breeders alone is ignoring the fact that it was first found in far West Texas were breeder pens do not exist. I could go on but it wouldn't do any good as both sides are stuck with their heads in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
          I'm amazed by the amount of facts and data that are constantly left out of both sides of the CWD discussion. To blame CWD on breeders alone is ignoring the fact that it was first found in far West Texas were breeder pens do not exist. I could go on but it wouldn't do any good as both sides are stuck with their heads in the sand.
          Who was blaming it solely breeders alone?
          Ignoring the fact that breeders can, have and will transport infected deer all over the state is laughable.

Comment

Not ignoring the deer breeder portion at all. Ever time CWD is brought up breeders get bashed. I am not a deer breeder. Do I think they play a part in CWD? Yes. Do I think they are the reason CWD is in Texas? No. The current laws and regs are mainly aimed at breeders and do nothing to stop the transport of infected deer that are killed and transported by us hunters every year. I can shoot a mule deer that is positive for CWD and take it to XYZ processor in Central Texas and guess what? Good chance said processor has CWD in his facility. I'd be willing to bet that if the did a test of deer processing plants that most if not all would have the CWD prion on their grounds. I would guess the same for taxidermist. Not a person involved in the laws and regs want to discuss that. There are more deer transported by us hunters across county and state lines than breeders ever thought about moving and none of them are being checked. Do you think that might be a bigger problem?

Comment

Not ignoring the deer breeder portion at all. Ever time CWD is brought up breeders get bashed. I am not a deer breeder. Do I think they play a part in CWD? Yes. Do I think they are the reason CWD is in Texas? No. The current laws and regs are mainly aimed at breeders and do nothing to stop the transport of infected deer that are killed and transported by us hunters every year. I can shoot a mule deer that is positive for CWD and take it to XYZ processor in Central Texas and guess what? Good chance said processor has CWD in his facility. I'd be willing to bet that if the did a test of deer processing plants that most if not all would have the CWD prion on their grounds. I would guess the same for taxidermist. Not a person involved in the laws and regs want to discuss that. There are more deer transported by us hunters across county and state lines than breeders ever thought about moving and none of them are being checked. Do you think that might be a bigger problem?
              Ive wondered about this exactly. Particularly concerning myself and my actions when handling harvested critters from other states in units with CWD. I believe CWD in the Washington DC area cervids illustrates this adequately.

CWD found in breeder pens and high breeder density areas is telltale of CWD transport by breeders and is capable of immediate action. Not saying checking all game coming across statelines isnt capable of immediate action...or even county to county hunter transport checkpoints. The apparent necessary precautions and reactionary measures arent appealing to me but seemingly necessary for us all.

Comment

Sure, valid concern. How many of Texas' confirmed CWD were in breeder pens vs. free range. Knock out the low hanging fruit.

Comment

I can shoot a mule deer that is positive for CWD and take it to XYZ processor in Central Texas and guess what? Good chance said processor has CWD in his facility.
                  Not saying anything about the bigger argument, but the deer I shoot I don't typically find hanging around processing facilities.
                  Is the suggestion that processing facilities are a vector for wild deer populations?

Comment

Some states now make it illegal to transport an "intact" whitetail, including skull must be capped. Deer must be processed. Some states also suggest that an in state Taxi do the work on the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      Not saying anything about the bigger argument, but the deer I shoot I don't typically find hanging around processing facilities.
                      Is the suggestion that processing facilities are a vector for wild deer populations?
                      What he is saying is that we as hunters are transporting deer with cwd unknowingly to these places, and in return it could be spread by us doing so. After the deer is deboned all those bones and leftovers go out for scraps and end up somewhere. For me they end up in my pasture. So what he is hinting at is I could very well spread cwd to my place by discarding that on my property. Which is a scary thought....

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                        What he is saying is that we as hunters are transporting deer with cwd unknowingly to these places, and in return it could be spread by us doing so. After the deer is deboned all those bones and leftovers go out for scraps and end up somewhere. For me they end up in my pasture. So what he is hinting at is I could very well spread cwd to my place by discarding that on my property. Which is a scary thought....
                        Not getting it... you take your bones and scraps from your processor back out to your lease/land to dump them?

Comment

Not getting it... you take your bones and scraps from your processor back out to your lease/land to dump them?
                          I am the processor of my deer. And I cant say where the bones and scraps from your processor end up, but im sure they end up in a landfill somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not everyone goes to a processor.

Comment

It is illegal to bring spinal material as well as brain material back into Texas from a state that has cwd so if you are doing this it is illegal. I brought a Mule deer back from Colorado this year and had to cape the buck and skull cap it and make sure that any spinal material was removed before bringing it into Texas. Also had to have it tested in Colorado at a check station within 24 hours of harvest...it tested negative
                              Last edited by MTaylor; 02-12-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X