Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Mactownfuzz
Four Point

Default 3/4 ton gassers

There's been a lot of talk on here recently about diesels and the need or lack of need for them. I'm going to be purchasing a new truck 3/4 ton truck in the near future.

Those of you who have a 3/4 ton gasser, do you wish you'd gone diesel? I feel like 90% of my use a gas truck will be fine, so I don't know that the cost increase for the diesel will justify itself when I do pull the occasional trailer or heavy load. Anyone have any 3/4 ton gas tips or things I should be aware of?
Mactownfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Chew has gas.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: No lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Chew has gas.
Might have been sumpin he ate
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
jmeghunts
Ten Point

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...&highlight=6.2
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I have a 2015 Dodge with the 6.4. I bought it for the 10% of the time I'd need a 3/4 ton. I also wanted old school solid axles, mechanical 4x4 shifter, and a generally more robust truck than what you can get in a 1/2 ton. I have nothing against diesels and they without a doubt will pull and haul butt better, but the current 3/4 ton gassers are nothing like the gutless ones from years ago. The two main bad things are gas mileage and resale. I get 10 in town and 15 on the highway. You'll buy alot more gas sure, but you also pay less per gallon and don't have emissions BS to deal with or spend thousands to delete. The resale will be less than a diesel but you also save thousands up front by not checking that option. I looked at it from a financial perspective over 5 years and with my use came out ahead by going gas, and I like the truck, you may be different. If you think you'd be happy in a gasser, buy it. Just be ready to get told all the time that you don't have a diesel.

Last edited by FVR JR; 04-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

I bought a 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gasser. I had diesel F250's for the last 17 years prior to this one. I wouldn't change going with the gasser this time. I used to pull a loaded trailer every day and now I do not but I still have some sort of trailer hooked up every weekend and I will have a hay spear on it before long. Do I miss my diesels? sure I do but not enough to justify buying one. IMO it isn't worth it anymore. Sure I might not get great mileage but I drive my company truck most of the time besides weekends. I don't think the new ones are getting the mileage of the old ones but I may be wrong. IT boiled down to not having to deal with emmisions stuff and I tend to keep my trucks for a long time so at some point I would be having to spend more money to delete a diesel. So you have the initial expense of the diesel, then deleting it, plus def, higher maintenance etc. I can buy a lot of gas with that money and get fuel points at Kroger to help out too and I honestly probably couldn't afford to fix one if it broke out of warranty as high as repairs are on them. Something small goes wrong and trashes the fuel system its 10k etc. They are getting 300k miles out of a lot of these 6.2's and just in general it seems nobody keeps a diesel as long as they were once kept to even say that's why they got one. to each their own but these are just some things I thought about before I went with the gas this time
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
mastercraftka
Eight Point

I have owned both and personally I would never get a gas 3/4 ton again. My old 6.0 got 12 mpg no if I towed something it was 10 maybe. Gas was cheaper yes but with the decrease in fuel economy the increased diesel prices evened it out or is better.

I like having the power when I need it and I do you use it. I have a 22 ft mastercaft and had a 42ft 5th wheel. now a 30ft tow behind. I like that I can idle it in 105 degree weather and never worry about it overheating.

I did delete mine and it wasn't thousands it was 1200. and I get about 2 mpg more now. 16 around town and 19 on the highway conservatively.

Just depends on what you will need it for, but for me there is no question I will have a diesel all day. 170k miles on this one so far.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

My next truck will be a gas. Too many moving parts on these new diesels to either fix (or remove), and then no warranty. Fuel cost is higher, maintenance is higher, but resale is also better.

Side note, I really hope Tesla develops an electric truck with a 300 mile range. In extreme mode, the new Tesla smokes a 530 hp R8. An electric truck would blow the doors off a diesel, and make no noise.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

I have had 2 different gas 3/4 ton trucks that absolutely did anything and everything I asked it to do.

First one was a 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 6.0 gas engine in it. I pulled many heavy loads with it. The truck had over 400,000 miles on it when I sold it. I had the motor and transmission rebuilt on it at 250k. I still see the truck around town and still going strong

I have a Ford F-250 now with the 6.2 gas engine in it. I routinely pull a horse trailer with it. It had never missed a beat either. It pulls great and gets decent gas mileage with or without trailer

I pull a lot of trailers and have never needed more than I have had. We caravaned down to San Antonio Stockshow this year with a bunch of trucks and trailers and I got better gas mileage than some of the diesel rigs and I had a bigger trailer than they did.

I will stick with the gas rigs myself. They are way cheaper to maintain than diesel. With all the new regs concerning emissions the newer diesels are all chocked down with all the crap in them now
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I have a '12 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser. I have owned many 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. They are way better in the get up and go department when towing. With the additional cost of the truck, fuel cost, maintenance, DEF and all the horror stories I have seen / heard on diesel repair costs I went with the gas motor this time. Do I sometimes wish I had diesel? Sure I do. But that thought goes away when I don't have a trailer hooked to the truck.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Youngblood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillispie County and Benavides Texas

I have a 2016 Duramax and canít wait to go back to a gasser 3/4 ton. Hate DEF fluid and the cost of an oil change. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

the only thing that gaser is better than diesel is long-term maintenance cost, but that is a big deal. If I was going to be driving a 3/4 under warranty it would be a diesel. Diesel is like 4wd, you may not need it often, but when you do it sure is nice knowing it is there.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
I have a 2016 Duramax and canít wait to go back to a gasser 3/4 ton. Hate DEF fluid and the cost of an oil change. Good luck!

They started using synthetic oil and almost 7 quarts in the gaser now, so oil change isn't that much difference.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
PoohDaddy
Four Point

I had a 2013 gmc 3/4 with 6.0 . I loved it!pulled anything and everything I needed it to. traded it in for a tundra that has the same power and gets a couple mpg's better.
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #15
TEX_hunt_AS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere until I find a lease

Recently purchased a 2018 Chevy 2500 and have no major complaints yet. Pulled my 36' TT from Mansfield to Sweetwater Friday into a 30-40 MPH headwind and it affected to fuel mileage, but I knew what to expect so I cant complain there. From a power stand point I have no complaints whatsoever. Previous truck was a Dodge 2500 diesel and after a few pricey repairs (transmission, turbo, etc) I decided I am more than happy with a gasser.
TEX_hunt_AS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I've got a '14 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Two things I don't like...1, the transmission isn't geared worth a crap for a gas truck pulling a load in hills/mountains. 2, the computers don't let this motor work like it's able to. I don't understand putting a big motor in a truck like this, and then throttling is back and not giving it full power.

I get about 16 or so on the HWY, pulling 8k lbs I vary from 11-12 on flat ground and no wind, to 7-8 pulling in hills.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
I've got a '14 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Two things I don't like...1, the transmission isn't geared worth a crap for a gas truck pulling a load in hills/mountains. 2, the computers don't let this motor work like it's able to. I don't understand putting a big motor in a truck like this, and then throttling is back and not giving it full power.

I get about 16 or so on the HWY, pulling 8k lbs I vary from 11-12 on flat ground and no wind, to 7-8 pulling in hills.
To my knowledge none of the gassers are. If you're not in a hurry it's a cheaper alternative to owning a diesel.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

One of my three trucks is a 2018 F350 4x4 with the off road package and gasoline engine. Awesome truck so far and zero regrets about going gas.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
TEX_hunt_AS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere until I find a lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
To my knowledge none of the gassers are. If you're not in a hurry it's a cheaper alternative to owning a diesel.
I went up Ranger Hill at 65 mph pulling my Tracer Air 275AIR, fully loaded, and maintained speed all the way up without going over 4500 RPM

Good enough for me!

TEX_hunt_AS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Been driving an 07 f250 with the 5.4 in it since mid 2009. It has been an awesome truck and does everything we have ever asked for it. Has routinely pulled a 4 horse trailer loaded no issues. A 30ft camper from Wyoming to Bryan. Now is a diesel better for pulling? Yep, but if only using the hitch occasionally and usually only pulling a car hauler or utility trailer it works like a champ and is way easier to maintain and deal with overall than its diesel counter part

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

2016 F 250 4 x 4 6.2 L its a beast pulls anything you hook it to like stated above fuel economy is not an option, make sure you get the correct gears when you purchase i have the 411 rear end because i pull a lot and usually heavy 386 gears will improve your mileage but will suffer at tow time,good luck with your decision.
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #22
yotethumper
Four Point

With the way newer gassers are running and able to pull I would stick with a gasser for what your needs will be.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
toledo
Six Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Recently got a '18 Chevy 2500 6.0. Only reason I got a 3/4 ton was wanting something I could put 250k+ miles on without consistent major issues. And I actually use the 4x4. From my experience, 1/2 tons from the big 3 just don't hold up to hard use and a lot of miles. It drives really great and I wouldn't change a thing.

The most I pull with it is a 21' boat and it's like its not even there.

If you don't need the chrome and fancy gadgetry, don't be afraid to check out the work truck models. They come with a lot more than they used to(full size backup camera, etc) and you're getting the same truck for a lot less money. Crew cab, gas, 4wd with a couple thousand in options added back on comes in a touch over $40k. Only down side is the 11-12 mpg.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #24
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:

Look into Hemifever tunes.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #25
quackadikt
Eight Point

I looked last year, but they didn't have any for my truck I don't think. I'll check them out again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #26
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:

I had the 5.7 in my 2500 that I got rid of recently. One thing I looked into heavy and never did it but wanted to was put a programmer on it. A lot of things I read said that it woke up the Hemi and let it run like it was supposed to. May be something to look into. I just never did due to my warranty and then decided to get rid of it by the time I wouldíve put the programmer on it.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #27
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

How often do you tow? How heavy do you tow? I've been very happy with the 6.4 Hemi in my 2015 Ram 2500. But I don't tow that often or that heavy. If the cost of the diesel engine was less I'd have one, but I just can't justify the extra $8,000+ truck price plus the increased fuel and maintenance costs when I don't need it for what I do.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #28
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Driven 2- 3/4 ton gassers, GM 6.0, for the last 10 years. Yes like said you wont have all the torque of a diesel and your mileage sucks at 12 mpg, but it will still pull anything the average person tows easily. You get the same frame and suspension and everything else that a diesel has just not the torque. I still haul the cattle trailer and flatbeds around just the same, just a little slower on the take off that's all.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #29
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I have Ford F250 6.2 gasser. I'm averaging 12-15 in town if I'm not pushing it. Has plenty of power towing for me.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #30
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
I had the 5.7 in my 2500 that I got rid of recently. One thing I looked into heavy and never did it but wanted to was put a programmer on it. A lot of things I read said that it woke up the Hemi and let it run like it was supposed to. May be something to look into. I just never did due to my warranty and then decided to get rid of it by the time I wouldíve put the programmer on it.
Looked again. Nothing for the '14 6.4 in the RAM. They have them for the cars though. Heard for the '15 and up, that unless you run 91+ octane, you won't see any gains, and even running that fuel, you won't see but like 15hp gains.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #31
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Quote:
Looked again. Nothing for the '14 6.4 in the RAM. They have them for the cars though. Heard for the '15 and up, that unless you run 91+ octane, you won't see any gains, and even running that fuel, you won't see but like 15hp gains.
Programming Gas trucks is a waste of money IMO. My buddy tried it on his ford and little to no difference.

The factory is getting about all they can get out of those gas engines. The diesels however are so choked down with EPA crap you can see lots of gains.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #32
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
Programming Gas trucks is a waste of money IMO. My buddy tried it on his ford and little to no difference.

The factory is getting about all they can get out of those gas engines. The diesels however are so choked down with EPA crap you can see lots of gains.
For my truck, I really think the transmission being geared shorter, or it being a manual, would make a huge difference. I don't like how I'm either red-lining at 50mph in 2nd gear pulling up hill, or drop it to 3rd and I have zero power and start reducing my speed against my will. Gears are just too tall for a gas truck that is made to tow.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Quote:
For my truck, I really think the transmission being geared shorter, or it being a manual, would make a huge difference. I don't like how I'm either red-lining at 50mph in 2nd gear pulling up hill, or drop it to 3rd and I have zero power and start reducing my speed against my will. Gears are just too tall for a gas truck that is made to tow.
For pulling, a manual tranny is always better for sure. You can put way more miles on it if you pull alot vs. an auto.

Really need to watch that trans temp with the autos.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #34
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactownfuzz View Post
Those of you who have a 3/4 ton gasser, do you wish you'd gone diesel?
Nope. Have a 2017 F250 gas... as far as what you should be aware of, I did have one guy come over and look at the truck to see if I was messing up putting gas in it instead of diesel though...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #35
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

I have a 2010 Chevy 2500 6.0 4x4 now. Went from a 05 dodge diesel, to a tundra crewmax for a couple of years. I missed having a 3/4 ton more than the diesel, so I traded the tundra in on the Chevy.

Iím sure a diesel would be nice at times, but to me the cost way out weigh any benefit to me. I drive crappy roads, and around a lot of ag fields, using four wheel drive almost daily. The 6.0 does everything I want. Mileage is about the same as I was getting in the tundra, but I also have a real sized bed to carry my four wheeler and tool box.

SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #36
Wayno
Ten Point

I have a ‘04 F250 V10. The best mileage I have ever gotten is 12.5. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with it and had no problems other than having to stop at every other station for gas. I have never checked the mileage pulling a load, but I would bet it is around 6-7.

That being said, the normal maintenance costs of the gas engine is so much less than the diesel that I couldn’t justify it.

Last edited by Wayno; 04-16-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #37
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:
Sean, (hemifever) writes tunes for the 14 6.4, Hemifever tunes on FB is probably the easiest way to get in touch with him without searching the forums.

You would need the tuner intune 2 i2010 programmer And buy his tunes.

https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverTuning/

My buddy has a 14 power wagon with his tunes, itís not a huge difference, but heís also got the trans tune and it makes all the difference for pulling anything.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #38
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinTX View Post
Sean, (hemifever) writes tunes for the 14 6.4, Hemifever tunes on FB is probably the easiest way to get in touch with him without searching the forums.

You would need the tuner intune 2 i2010 programmer And buy his tunes.

https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverTuning/

My buddy has a 14 power wagon with his tunes, itís not a huge difference, but heís also got the trans tune and it makes all the difference for pulling anything.
Now we're talking. Thanks man. I'll check him out.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #39
Hughiam
Ten Point

My current and last truck were 3/4 ton Power Wagons. The 12 had the 5.7 and 4:56s and the 15 is a 6.4 with 4:11s. I was happy with both and just upgraded the tires to 35" mud terrains(they fit on PW's without any additional lift).

It pulls my jeep just fine, has lockers front and back, skid plates, and a 12,000lb winch from the factory.
Attached Images

Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #40
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
My current and last truck were 3/4 ton Power Wagons. The 12 had the 5.7 and 4:56s and the 15 is a 6.4 with 4:11s. I was happy with both and just upgraded the tires to 35" mud terrains(they fit on PW's without any additional lift).

It pulls my jeep just fine, has lockers front and back, skid plates, and a 12,000lb winch from the factory.

What kind of mileage does your 15 get? Thinking about looking at one for my next truck.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #41
Hughiam
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
What kind of mileage does your 15 get? Thinking about looking at one for my next truck.

Prior to putting on the 35's, I was at 12-14 in town and 15-17 on the highway. Now about 12 and 15 respectively.

SuperChips supposedly can reprogram my computer to accept the 35's. Its a hand held unit you DIY for about $200.00

Pulling the trailer.....10mpg.

Last edited by Hughiam; 04-16-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #42
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
Prior to putting on the 35's, I was at 12-14 in town and 15-17 on the highway. Now about 12 and 15 respectively.

SuperChips supposedly can reprogram my computer to accept the 35's. Its a hand held unit you DIY for about $200.00

Pulling the trailer.....10mpg.

Thanks. Iíve heard the 6.4ís have decent mileage in the power wagons. My 6.0 does ~9 in town, and if Iím lucky 12 on the highway. Stop and go really drops it. Thatís with 4.10 gears and 285/70R17 tires.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #43
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

I had a F250 with the V-10 gas engine and if I go back to a 3/4 ton it will probably be a gasser also. I can't justify the extra $10k sticker and price of maintenance like oil changes and more expensive fuel for how little I tow.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #44
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

Quote:
Thats some pretty respectable mileage in a 3/4 ton with 4.11 gears.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #45
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: All types of weather conditions

I had a 3/4 gasser. Pulled 12,000 travel trailer no problem.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #46
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: All types of weather conditions

What is avg costs for a diesel in any given year?
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #47
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

Anybody have a 2017/2018 F250 with the 6.2? What kind of mileage are you seeing? I have heard that they have improved them from previous years. My 2011 work truck averaged about 10.5 mpg. A friend of mine just bought one, but he has only drove it pulling his boat. He said he got 12 mpg towing the boat.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #48
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

1989 GMC 2500 with factory rated 205HP 350ic and a 5sp standard. 5sp was replaced once. Was getting 18.? mpg when I bought it at 150k miles (one owner). Has 276K on it now. Motor never been rebuilt. Getting about 15mpg now. Dose leak a little out of the rear main while at high speed. But the truck was not really built to exceed a certain speed limit when it was built (remember the speed limit in '89?). So it dose not like to run much above 68. But can do more. I've pulled various trailers and autos on trailers with it.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #49
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
Anybody have a 2017/2018 F250 with the 6.2? What kind of mileage are you seeing? I have heard that they have improved them from previous years. My 2011 work truck averaged about 10.5 mpg. A friend of mine just bought one, but he has only drove it pulling his boat. He said he got 12 mpg towing the boat.

I bought a f250 gasser right before spring break. I'm getting 15 on the highway running 70 and 12 in town.
I traded a problematic 2015 6.7 and very happy with my choice. There is no comparison in the power but the 6.2 is plenty for my needs.

The ride in the 2017 vs my 2015 is night and day. Much more room and way more comfortable.

slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #50
Old Goat1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx.

Thought long and hard when I bought a 10 ram gasser 4x4 Running hwy 17 town 14. 11mpg towing 5-9k. Diesels are built for towing and do a good job although i am happy with the performance.
One thing that i have noticed is this gasser will float across the pasture. Not as heavy in the front as a diesel. To me that was important. Seen diesels following me in and they stuck.
Old Goat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top