Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #51
jp77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Following, we have tryouts tonight for the 10u Dynasty team, this will be out first spring season with this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jp77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #52
jer_james
Ten Point

Finished our first Fall season in AAA and going into our first REAL Spring. Looking forward to it, but dang these politics, lol. Excited to see more growth. No throwing right now, but have been doing some fielding / hitting and start some agility stuff out in Frisco today.

We did lose a kiddo to another team, and still need a couple it looks like for a Spring roster. Politics are pretty crazy, but Kiddo is having fun.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #53
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

For those in the Houston/Spring/Tomball area and looking for an organization that knows what they are doing. I would look into "King's Baseball" and head coach Chris Ryan. I just cannot say enough good things about him and his skill set at player development. I coached with him for 3 years and learned a lot from him myself. Good times...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #54
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
For those in the Houston/Spring/Tomball area and looking for an organization that knows what they are doing. I would look into "King's Baseball" and head coach Chris Ryan. I just cannot say enough good things about him and his skill set at player development. I coached with him for 3 years and learned a lot from him myself. Good times...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We went with a team more suited to our needs (logistics) and found a great match.. but I will give a shout out to Chris Ryan... his teams are coached well, and they play hard.

Also, if you have an older boy needing hitting instruction... ask Chris about the old man in the cage.. (i cannot remember his name for the life of me), but I could listen to him for hours..
Hes a little too edgy for the younger guys...but awesome stories, analogies, and instruction.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #55
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Iím in the same boat. I coached my 21 year old who played college ball til he was 12, my junior 17 year old at FM Marcus high school until he was 12 and my soon to be 13 year old till last year. Heís moving on and playing for 2 good friends of mine coaching a new 13U DBAT team. This will be the first season in 15 years not being on the ball field. Spring is not even here and I miss it already.
Tough decision for sure. But after finally getting to sit back and watch from the stands I realize that its much better for me to get to watch my kids love for the game grow as a dad instead of a coach!

Seems like lots of teams/kids are going Dbat this season. They started up one here closer to us in Waxahachie as well. I am semi looking for my boy and 3 other kids a team but we may stick it out with outlaws but its more of a backyard/sandlot baseball team and it is fun for the boys for sure. No this and that is right or wrong just go out and outhit outfield and outplay the other team and win. Lots of talent.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #56
topherstrux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever

My boy plays for KC Oilers 11U Maroon out of Pearland. Hes been on and off with this team since he was 7. They are solid this fall. They ended up 18-3 in the fall with 3 tournament wins. He is their ace and threw his first no-hitter last night in the ship! He was dealing the entire game. His era was sub 1 this fall and ended up undefeated in his starts. Its fun to watch. Theyre coming in to their athleticism. They will be 11major in the spring.
topherstrux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #57
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherstrux View Post
My boy plays for KC Oilers 11U Maroon out of Pearland. Hes been on and off with this team since he was 7. They are solid this fall. They ended up 18-3 in the fall with 3 tournament wins. He is their ace and threw his first no-hitter last night in the ship! He was dealing the entire game. His era was sub 1 this fall and ended up undefeated in his starts. Its fun to watch. Theyre coming in to their athleticism. They will be 11major in the spring.
That sounds awesome!!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #58
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

It’s crazy that there are December tourmaments.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #59
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple 7 View Post
I saw a kid get a college scholarship after walking 3 batters and hitting two more. The scouts were buzzing because he could throw 98. They can coach mechanics but canít coach velocity in most cases
x2! Truth
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #60
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
I always laugh when a "Pro Coach" that's 25 says how good the kids will be under him and talks about his career in the majors. I always think unless injured why are you coaching select ball and not still playing in MLB at 25 year old? There are a ton of older players that just won't give it up that are not very good at coaching. I will say they know the game just bad at coaching, but very good at lessons. The biggest problem in select ball is the parents most of the time. When things are good everyone is happy, but when losing they start talking among themselves and things go bad in a hurry.
This is true!!! A collegiate player who got drafted does not always make a good coach

But i will take a kid like that anyday over a parent with no experience
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #61
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Itís crazy that there are December tourmaments.

was beautiful baseball weather.... awesome even....
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #62
topherstrux
Eight Point

Saturday morning, we showed up to the fields at 7am. Felt like I was headed to the stand. 28 degrees and the fields were frozen up. Had to postpone the first game. Im not a huge fan of baseball in sub freezing temps. Hard on the muscles and hard to warm the arms effectively.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #63
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Saturday morning, we showed up to the fields at 7am. Felt like I was headed to the stand. 28 degrees and the fields were frozen up. Had to postpone the first game. Im not a huge fan of baseball in sub freezing temps. Hard on the muscles and hard to warm the arms effectively.
Did ya'll play at BBUSA this past weekend? saw some oiler uni's there..

you gotta know who to grease to get the 9-10am slots ..then go top seed for Sunday...

but no.. luck does play into it a bunch
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #64
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

How are the YETI teams?
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #65
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
How are the YETI teams?
Hard to see... watched an entire game between the YETI 9U and Bigfoot 9U teams yesterday... neither team can hit...
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #66
topherstrux
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Did ya'll play at BBUSA this past weekend? saw some oiler uni's there..

you gotta know who to grease to get the 9-10am slots ..then go top seed for Sunday...

but no.. luck does play into it a bunch
Yessir, we were there. Assuming our coach missed the memo on greasing the dirty palms of Darren. It was stupid. The fields were unplayable.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #67
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yessir, we were there. Assuming our coach missed the memo on greasing the dirty palms of Darren. It was stupid. The fields were unplayable.
I will say our field for a 10:30 game saturday appeared to have been watered the night before..(sprinkler heads were still up..) and that was AFTER 5-10 bags of drying agent was added to the base paths...
all of which was confusing since we received emails from Larson that they were actively working the fields Thursday...not to mention, since all the rain earlier in the week..
made for interesting infield plays...

they were better Sunday.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #68
topherstrux
Eight Point

Word on the street was that they only had 2 guys show up Friday to "work on the fields". Field 3, the field we played on had no work on it until Saturday morning. 2 pallets of quick dry and had to dig out home plate before making it "playable". Larson is a joke. Hes just making sure he can make his benz payment this month.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #69
systemnt
Pope & Young

I dont believe i have ever heard anyone say anything positive about Larson...ever...
hows that guy still this areas utrip guy...
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #70
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I dont believe i have ever heard anyone say anything positive about Larson...ever...
hows that guy still this areas utrip guy...
He screwed me out of $500 doing a bait and switch on the venue and when I took it to USSSA they referred me back to the regional director....guess who, Larson. It's a freaking racket and the national and state office could care less that he screws people hand over fist. Dude is a liar, a cheat and a criminal. Other than that he is ok
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #71
Richardcranium4
Four Point

Love Travel/Select baseball when the team is ran right. My 10U son started with an expansion team this fall. Looking good so far. Go Alamo Drillers!
Richardcranium4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #72
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcranium4 View Post
Love Travel/Select baseball when the team is ran right. My 10U son started with an expansion team this fall. Looking good so far. Go Alamo Drillers!
The drillers 11u team us legit, I'm sure that 10u team will be too. Looking forward to seeing you guys at some point this spring
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #73
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp77 View Post
Following, we have tryouts tonight for the 10u Dynasty team, this will be out first spring season with this team.

Have played over at Dynasty for years. Very good organization, but it has its days like most.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #74
Richardcranium4
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
The drillers 11u team us legit, I'm sure that 10u team will be too. Looking forward to seeing you guys at some point this spring
I think the 11U team is going for the #1 team in the nation for the third year in a row.

For the 10U, the team looks pretty strong. Practiced a lot in the fall and played in two tournaments. First one was a rain out, and took first in the second. Can't wait to get started back up in the spring. It will take some time, but, I see big things in the future for these boys.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #75
jp77
Ten Point

Quote:
Have played over at Dynasty for years. Very good organization, but it has its days like most.

It is definitely a change for us, we played gunners Baseball for the past three years and this is a whole new thing for us.
Taylor loves it, despite being a .500 team he enjoys the positive reinforcement, and the ability to spend time on the bump. In the fall he pitched two no hitters!! We have high hopes for the spring season, and are anxious about what tryouts will bring tonight.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #76
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
It is definitely a change for us, we played gunners Baseball for the past three years and this is a whole new thing for us.
Taylor loves it, despite being a .500 team he enjoys the positive reinforcement, and the ability to spend time on the bump. In the fall he pitched two no hitters!! We have high hopes for the spring season, and are anxious about what tryouts will bring tonight.

Who is the coach for the 10U team?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #77
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcranium4 View Post
I think the 11U team is going for the #1 team in the nation for the third year in a row.

For the 10U, the team looks pretty strong. Practiced a lot in the fall and played in two tournaments. First one was a rain out, and took first in the second. Can't wait to get started back up in the spring. It will take some time, but, I see big things in the future for these boys.
Now please tell me who ranks these teams nationwide? That goes to watch them all and can accurately tell this.

Sad this is 9-12 year old baseball and ranked nationwide somehow
Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #78
jp77
Ten Point

Quote:
Who is the coach for the 10U team?
Grantham is the coach of the 10U blue.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #79
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Now please tell me who ranks these teams nationwide? That goes to watch them all and can accurately tell this.

Teams are ranked by the organization they play with USSSA/Nations baseball. They go off the amount of wins and strength class. The Alamo Drillers have been pretty good the last few years. The only bad thing is it will be the parents that mess it up sooner or later. Once they start getting beat things will change as far as attitudes always does.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #80
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:

http://bfy.tw/FWw7

Go away.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #81
Richardcranium4
Four Point

Quote:

USSSA, TravelBallSelect, Baseball Youth, There are a number of nation wide organization that rank teams based on records and who they play against.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #82
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Grantham is the coach of the 10U blue.
David is a pretty good coach. He dresses up like the kids, some love it others don't.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #83
jp77
Ten Point

We are happy with him. Tryouts was great last night. Very organized and put together. Lots of kids there that are new with some skills! Hopefully we can fill some soft spots in the lineup and make a squad.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #84
Richardcranium4
Four Point

Just heard, first practice of the spring season is 7 Jan.

When is everyone starting back up?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #85
systemnt
Pope & Young

end of first week in January.. but we are actively still practicing -unofficially-.... gotta keep the chops up.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #86
Richardcranium4
Four Point

We hit, field, and do speed and conditioning all year. But we make sure we shut down the arm for month and a half to two months in the winter and summer (No throwing at all). It helps cut down on overuse issues.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #87
Grant2
Ten Point

Tryouts Jan 6th then probably start the following week.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #88
DKirk
Ten Point

We got our first tournament in the books last weekend. It went about as expected with only 8-10 practices under our belt you could really see the inexperience. We have only been practicing once a week but are about to move to two so that should help us shrink the learning curve.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #89
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
We got our first tournament in the books last weekend. It went about as expected with only 8-10 practices under our belt you could really see the inexperience. We have only been practicing once a week but are about to move to two so that should help us shrink the learning curve.
Wow, yíall start early.. no real off season..

We will officially hit it late January.. best of luck guys
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #90
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper View Post
Wow, yíall start early.. no real off season..

We will officially hit it late January.. best of luck guys
We are a new team so we didnít play a fall season and only practiced once a week.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #91
jshouse
Pope & Young

We start practice the 1st weekend in Feb
Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #92
CFBASEBALL09
Six Point

Hunt In: McCullough County, Tx and East Texas, Freer, Arkansas

For Premier Baseball in Tomball tryouts begin Jan. 15 and then practice will start the first week of Feb for most teams.
CFBASEBALL09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #93
Grant2
Ten Point

You guys looking for a 12U team. Check out SSK1 baseball this is where I will be coaching this spring. Tryouts are on Jan 6th at the scrapyard.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #94
jer_james
Ten Point

Coach says we are waiting to fill the roster in January - Don't think we will be that great, but it will be fun. The move to select has been amazing for my guy, so hoping to continue.

Team Moms are already trying to book condos and travel plans for pins and all kinds of craziness. They may be worse than the Dads.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #95
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

My son is playing for the 10u Scorpions. We won’t start practice till mid January. Good luck to all!
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #96
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Coach says we are waiting to fill the roster in January - Don't think we will be that great, but it will be fun. The move to select has been amazing for my guy, so hoping to continue.

Team Moms are already trying to book condos and travel plans for pins and all kinds of craziness. They may be worse than the Dads.
Parents definitely take it more serious than the kids. Stay away from the Momma drama never turns out good LOL!!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #97
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post

I'm happy this is working out for you guys

We got an email with our spring schedule last week and it shows our last tourney as being either the elite 32 IN FLORIDA or if we don't get the invite they want to go to VENTURA CALIFORNIA! I replied back "so who's getting started on the fundraisers?!" I have to start saving now
Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #98
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
You guys looking for a 12U team. Check out SSK1 baseball this is where I will be coaching this spring. Tryouts are on Jan 6th at the scrapyard.
I

If we we're closer I'd definitely let my little guy try out. He had tryouts last weekend at primetime baseball, but haven't heard if he made the team or not. Hopefully we will find out before all the other tryouts are over! Lol. Is Clay planning to help you coach this spring? Sure did enjoy watching his boy play second that year our boys played together! Kid is a vacuum!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #99
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I'm happy this is working out for you guys

We got an email with our spring schedule last week and it shows our last tourney as being either the elite 32 IN FLORIDA or if we don't get the invite they want to go to VENTURA CALIFORNIA! I replied back "so who's getting started on the fundraisers?!" I have to start saving now
What age group is this?
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #100
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
What age group is this?
10u our family summer vacations include baseball now