Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #1101
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Wife made some Creamsicle Fat Bombs yesterday. It was, essentially, the first really sweet tasting thing we've had in three weeks! It was great!

My wife pan seared some trout last night. I had saved a baggie of crawfish tails from my rig cook on Tuesday, so I used some to make a Pontchartrain sauce for the fish for extra fat. It was so good I almost felt guilty eating it!
How are yíall doing on Keto?
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #1102
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
How are yíall doing on Keto?
It's going great. We've both lost about 11 or 12 lbs. Weight loss has slowed a bit, but I'm at my initial weight target and only want to drop another 6-8 lbs to get to my revised goal. I'll probably start playing around with the macros at that point to see how it affects me.

I think Keto is more sustainable than I had originally figured, but I still may switch to a more paleo/clean eating program after a couple of months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #1103
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
It's going great. We've both lost about 11 or 12 lbs. Weight loss has slowed a bit, but I'm at my initial weight target and only want to drop another 6-8 lbs to get to my revised goal. I'll probably start playing around with the macros at that point to see how it affects me.

I think Keto is more sustainable than I had originally figured, but I still may switch to a more paleo/clean eating program after a couple of months.

Good news for sure and keep it up! Itís a lot easier once you get the hang of it.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #1104
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anderson & Coleman Counties

Quote:
Wife made some Creamsicle Fat Bombs yesterday. It was, essentially, the first really sweet tasting thing we've had in three weeks! It was great!

My wife pan seared some trout last night. I had saved a baggie of crawfish tails from my rig cook on Tuesday, so I used some to make a Pontchartrain sauce for the fish for extra fat. It was so good I almost felt guilty eating it!

I understand the feeling guilty aspect. Keto could solve obesity in America if people would try it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #1105
wags
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad County

Well, I just hit the 4 week mark on the Keto diet. The scale this morning showed I am down 30 lbs. since I started. I have found this diet (lifestyle), relatively easy. Now, don't get me wrong, the temptations such as when we go out because we are always out watching our kids compete or on Fridays during lent. But since I started this diet, I have felt so, so much better. I know the pounds will start to come off slower than it did this first month, but I couldn't be more excited about continuing this and seeing where it takes me.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #1106
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Well, I just hit the 4 week mark on the Keto diet. The scale this morning showed I am down 30 lbs. since I started. I have found this diet (lifestyle), relatively easy. Now, don't get me wrong, the temptations such as when we go out because we are always out watching our kids compete or on Fridays during lent. But since I started this diet, I have felt so, so much better. I know the pounds will start to come off slower than it did this first month, but I couldn't be more excited about continuing this and seeing where it takes me.

Incredible!!! Was that with or without exercise??

Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #1107
wags
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKLOSS View Post

Right now it has been without exercise. I am about to kick start that aspect of it soon though. I just wanted to start the diet without exercise first. My biggest issue to this point has been not getting close to my counts.

I am supposed to...

2485 calories
Carbs - 31g
Protein - 154g
Fat - 194g

I drink my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning, and then don't eat until supper. I do this because I really am not hungry. Because of this, when I check my ketosis status, it is not strong. But since the weight has been coming off, I really haven't worried about it to this point. I am sure, soon, I will need to start making sure my macros are where they need to be.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #1108
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

I havenít been getting close to my macros either. Iíll step on a scale next Mon at my 4 week mark.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #1109
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky

Well, I tried the body shock approach to plateau busting on Saturday. Donít know if it worked because Iím not touching a scale until my physical this Friday. Rucked 5.35 yesterday with 50lbs and my hands looked like cartoon balloon hands or something. (Saturday Italian meal)
Anyway, wife has now joined me on the diet so I expect great things. She will research recipes and cook up all kinds of new dishes

TexaRican is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #1110
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
Well, I tried the body shock approach to plateau busting on Saturday. Donít know if it worked because Iím not touching a scale until my physical this Friday. Rucked 5.35 yesterday with 50lbs and my hands looked like cartoon balloon hands or something. (Saturday Italian meal)
Anyway, wife has now joined me on the diet so I expect great things. She will research recipes and cook up all kinds of new dishes

Keto Burrito
Attached Images

justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #1111
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

how'd you make the tortilla?

looks good...cept for that green stuff
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #1112
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Quote:

Having your wife on board will be a huge help. I will probably lose my wife within the next couple of weeks since she didnít need to lose that much, but hope fully sheíll still cook for me.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #1113
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post

Thats pepper jack cheese slices melted together.

You dont like avocado?

Last edited by justintyme8303; 03-26-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #1114
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post

That green stuff is the best thing on there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #1115
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

No kidding!! I eat avocado with just about every meal!!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #1116
Michael
Administrator

Quote:

Awesome!

I started incorporating a little exercise today. I'm easing into it with a little walking, rowing, pull-ups and squats, but will slowly intensify.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #1117
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Ok I need a tried and trued Keto Brown Gravy recipe to put on some pork chops.
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #1118
steven
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk Co

Quote:
Right now it has been without exercise. I am about to kick start that aspect of it soon though. I just wanted to start the diet without exercise first. My biggest issue to this point has been not getting close to my counts.

I am supposed to...

2485 calories
Carbs - 31g
Protein - 154g
Fat - 194g

I drink my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning, and then don't eat until supper. I do this because I really am not hungry. Because of this, when I check my ketosis status, it is not strong. But since the weight has been coming off, I really haven't worried about it to this point. I am sure, soon, I will need to start making sure my macros are where they need to be.
Have you recalculated your macros since you dropped the initial 30lbs? Your calorie needs will fall as you lose weight. The lighter you are, the less calories you burn in a day if your activity level stays the same. A lot of the "plateaus" people hit is just from them eating the same amount of calories after losing a significant amount of weight. The only macro I would worry about getting close to every day is proteins.
As few carbs as possible.
As close as possible to your protein macro.
Fat to satiety.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #1119
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Quote:

I've lost 51lbs without exercise.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #1120
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
I've lost 51lbs without exercise.

Now youíre talking!!! Congrats!!! How many months?

Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #1121
Redbeard31
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Rio, The West, Canada, Africa

I started on this diet January 1 and lost about 15 lbs. I just got back from my doctor appointment for blood work, and my cholesterol numbers were off the chart (in a bad way). The Doc started me on Lipitor right away.

I am done with Keto for a while. Watch out on this diet if you have cholesterol issues. I am going back to just eating less and lower calorie food.
Redbeard31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #1122
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard31 View Post
I started on this diet January 1 and lost about 15 lbs. I just got back from my doctor appointment for blood work, and my cholesterol numbers were off the chart (in a bad way). The Doc started me on Lipitor right away.

I am done with Keto for a while. Watch out on this diet if you have cholesterol issues. I am going back to just eating less and lower calorie food.
Maybe it has to do with length of time on keto. I know once I was on keto for 6 months or so my cholesterol levels plummeted. I'll do whatever necessary with diet before I get back on a cholesterol med...too many bad side effects including the heat stroke I had while on them accompanied by a list of serious ailments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #1123
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard31 View Post

I have always wondered about this and you are the first to have numbers go up. Others have dropped their meds.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #1124
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I read this often and am amazed at some of the weight loss. I was wondering about blood numbers on this eating style. I guess I'm kinda on this as I don't eat any sugar or processed wheat- I do eat whole oats in the morning though. I also eat some brown rice for lunch sometimes. I am not trying to loose any weight but just a few pounds of body fat and considering trying it for 30 days.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #1125
wags
Ten Point

Well, I had another successful week with another five pounds lost. I now have been doing this for five weeks now and am down a total of 35 lbs. This really has been one of the easiest "diets" I have ever done. Now, yesterday the sweet potatoes, rolls, and cobbler sure did look and smell good, but I restrained. I wish I could continue to lose five pounds per week, but I know that really isn't possible. I have nine weeks before our cruise, and I am going to be sure to do whatever necessary to drop as much weight as possible before then.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #1126
TexaRican
Pope & Young

After 9 months of keto I finally got fed up with my wifeís nagging and went in for a physical on Good Friday. Got labs back today and all my numbers were within normal range, even on the good side of normal! Only deficiency was vitamin D so they said start with 1000IU with meal once a day.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #1127
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Quote:
After 9 months of keto I finally got fed up with my wifeís nagging and went in for a physical on Good Friday. Got labs back today and all my numbers were within normal range, even on the good side of normal! Only deficiency was vitamin D so they said start with 1000IU with meal once a day.

Sounds like you need more sun to tan that hot bod!! Congrats

Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #1128
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:

I take it the wife was worried about all the fats you are eating? Good to hear all is well.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #1129
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
I take it the wife was worried about all the fats you are eating? Good to hear all is well.

Yes, like so many people just not a believer in keto. Also worried because my bro just had a stint put in and heart disease runs in my family (heís 7 years older). At 44 Iím gonna see a cardiologist for the first time just as a precaution. No symptoms other than my HR has been higher than normal when jogging at the same pace lately. Recovery is faster than ever though and my resting HR has been creeping lower the last few months.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #1130
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, like so many people just not a believer in keto. Also worried because my bro just had a stint put in and heart disease runs in my family (heís 7 years older). At 44 Iím gonna see a cardiologist for the first time just as a precaution. No symptoms other than my HR has been higher than normal when jogging at the same pace lately. Recovery is faster than ever though and my resting HR has been creeping lower the last few months.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for ya. Age and genetics play a big difference. I'll be 45 in 12 days. I see my MD twice a year for blood work. I'm hoping to lose enough weight to get off the blood pressure medication. Hypertension and cholesterol are big in my family. **** genetics.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #1131
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Quote:
Now youíre talking!!! Congrats!!! How many months?

Started Keto last Oct.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #1132
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hit 257.6 on the scale this am. Total loss is 30 lbs since 1/2/18. Started off at 288. Not super duper strict, I do find myself enjoying life every other weekend with some beer, margarita's and chips and salsa. Only 2 drinks max. I've also incorporated IF in to my regiment.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #1133
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Congrats Ice! I finally hit 41lbs today then I had a business dinner tonight and everybody wanted to stop for beer after. Sipping my dieter tea now which will mean a brutal 4am wake up. Gearing up for 6 days on the road and trying to plan how I will stay on track.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #1134
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Congrats Ice! I finally hit 41lbs today then I had a business dinner tonight and everybody wanted to stop for beer after. Sipping my dieter tea now which will mean a brutal 4am wake up. Gearing up for 6 days on the road and trying to plan how I will stay on track.

Thank ya sir!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #1135
Chad C
Pope & Young

To go along with Keto... no more sitting down on the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #1136
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Ive been eating super strict Keto for the last 5 days.. Just did a test strip and Im still not in full ketosis. Kinda has me bummed.
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #1137
lwelch70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Ive been eating super strict Keto for the last 5 days.. Just did a test strip and Im still not in full ketosis. Kinda has me bummed.
Keep at it. It'll happen. Took me a good while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
lwelch70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #1138
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Default Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Did the Longhorn Run (5k) with my kid this morning. Havenít seen a scale since Monday but have great expectations itís been a good week.

Last edited by TexaRican; 04-14-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #1139
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

My scale hasnít budged in 2 weeks. Not sure whatís happening, but itís pretty discouraging. Hopefully something will change. I may splurge tomorrow.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #1140
skinsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

I tried keto, was the worst five days of my life. To each their own but I threw in the towel! I could not functiin at work or at home feeling that bad. Congratulations to those of you that have benefited from it!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #1141
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
I tried keto, was the worst five days of my life. To each their own but I threw in the towel! I could not functiin at work or at home feeling that bad. Congratulations to those of you that have benefited from it!

Iím on day 6 now. I def havenít felt the best. Iím gonna give it 2-3 weeks and see how it goes. I donít want to give up on it to soon.

JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #1142
skinsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Quote:
Iím on day 6 now. I def havenít felt the best. Iím gonna give it 2-3 weeks and see how it goes. I donít want to give up on it to soon.

I work quite a bit this time of year and had trouble with traveling and trying to interact with customers. Hope you have some success it seems to work wonders for some!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #1143
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
My scale hasnít budged in 2 weeks. Not sure whatís happening, but itís pretty discouraging. Hopefully something will change. I may splurge tomorrow.

99 cent store. Green box Cali Girl brand dieter tea. Be careful when you take

Old 04-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #1144
Bruiser
Ten Point

I'm over 100 lost.
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #1145
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I'm over 100 lost.

Awesome

Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #1146
Michael
Administrator

Quote:

You should be over the hump, or at least close, by now.

My wife and I started Keto on 2/26. I drank a LOT of water (with salt) and pickle juice and anything else I could find to replace electrolytes and avoid keto flu. I never experienced any really adverse effects during the transition.

I didn't check for the first few weeks (but I did lose weight and felt great) but I believe I have maintained ketosis every day since. I was around 208 when I started (already down from an all time high of 218 in September) and my main priority was to break below 200. I accomplished that within a week. The results have been a little slower since, but this morning I hit my ultimate target weight of 190.

The diet has been easy to maintain, with very little temptation to eat carbs. We've eaten out at various restaurants and fast food and we've always been able to find something to eat and enjoy. I was a guest of Oz_Ag this past weekend for a turkey hunt and his wife had prepared a casserole that contained egg noodles. It would have been terribly impolite to not eat it, of course. My ketone level (according to the pee stick) was slightly below moderate yesterday, but was right back up this morning.

I'm going to continue Keto through the end of this month (I plan to break it at Michaela's engagement party on the 28th!) at which time I will check blood work against my results from last October. I can't decide if I want to continue Keto after that or just transition to a clean eating "maintenance" diet.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #1147
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Ok men, I'm going back in, for real this time. Spent 5 months in last year and have been just off my game this year. Wife is already in so she is very happy that I'm going to be cooking Keto. I only came up to 189 so I'm not far off, 178 is my keto weight. Fasting now to kick start. Pray for me!!
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1148
Cardinal
Six Point

Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co./Rains Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
To go along with Keto... no more sitting down on the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I need to go this route in my office. I know of two guys that are surveyors/engineers that have severe back problems from years of sitting poorly in an office chair drawing plats, etc.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #1149
wags
Ten Point

I started Keto on Feb. 26, so I have been on it now for seven weeks. The scale this morning showed that I have lost a little over 40 lbs. Truthfully, from the beginning it was not too hard to do. Knock on wood, but I have never felt bad during the process. When you cut out sugars and carbs, at least for me, your hunger really isn't there.

We have seven weeks before we take our cruise. I am only half way to where I want to be, but if I can lose another 15 lbs over the next seven weeks, I will be very happy.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #1150
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Congrats brother, that is awesome. Keep up the good work!!
Unfortunately, I feel it right now, feel like I must have slipped in after my workout today. Bla with a head ache, will test when I get home. Pumping the electrolytes through my system to help. Last time, once I was in, no symptoms when I would slip out and right back in.
Quote:
I started Keto on Feb. 26, so I have been on it now for seven weeks. The scale this morning showed that I have lost a little over 40 lbs. Truthfully, from the beginning it was not too hard to do. Knock on wood, but I have never felt bad during the process. When you cut out sugars and carbs, at least for me, your hunger really isn't there.

We have seven weeks before we take our cruise. I am only half way to where I want to be, but if I can lose another 15 lbs over the next seven weeks, I will be very happy.
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top