Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    WTH is a scoop of steak? Those two words should never be used together!
    Lol Have you never ate at Chipotle? It's basically fajita meat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mann Eye-Ashley View Post
      I was basically forced to be put on a Keto diet after I was diagnosed with some auto-immune issues. I love me some pizza and cheeseburgers so it was hard to cut, but I have found SO many recipes for "bread" substitutes and such. I love to cook though so all the prep and stuff from scratch is fun for me, but is a lot of work. I have found recipes to make my own biscuits and gravy, pancakes, sandwich "bread", etc. Pretty much any time I have a craving, I just google "keto ..." and whatever it is I'm wanting, and there is almost always a substitute! Good luck guys!

I'm gonna need those Keto bread recipes... hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Yeah, you did Are you cooking two meals now or did you get your wife to get back on it?

Two meals

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          WTH is a scoop of steak? Those two words should never be used together!
          Bwahahahaha!
          it's a millennial/hipster thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            Two meals

ooof, that sucks.

Granted, I am not on this diet... but my wife cooks and I just adjust my portions based on what is being served. For instance, I have found myself not eating as big a portion of rice on some days. Or instead of two fajitas, I'll just grab one tortilla and grab more meat. Just to balance it out for what I need that day.

Like a typical meal might be steak, green beans, and couscous. Some days I'll hammer the couscous and some days I'll opt for less and add on some extra steak. Or if we have shrimp alfredo, I'll take half the pasta I usually take.

Looking at some of these meals, it seems like it is just on the edge of adding some good carbs to make another person happy, and they'll eat just fewer of the fatty stuff; leaving more for you.

If I lived with a person who was on this diet, I'd pretty much eat most of the protein, have small portions of the fatty stuff, and add a dinner roll, or mashed potatoes, or couscous, or some other "fast prep" carb as my side.

Put another way, plan the meal around the protein. Make a carb side that you won't touch and a fatty side that she would eat in moderation... that might pair nicely with the carb.

Comment

I have psriosis and thought I'd try this keto diet out to help it and maybe shed a few pounds.
              Been on it a couple weeks and I have some bad cotton mouth. Other then that I've shed about 6 pounds.
              Really enjoy trying different carb recipes.

Comment

This right here is awesome
                A delicious burger needs no bun! Enjoy this satisfying bunless patty topped with creamy tomato gravy and a side of sautéed cabbage. Keto satisfaction guaranteed!

Comment

Originally posted by Mann Eye-Ashley View Post
                  I was basically forced to be put on a Keto diet after I was diagnosed with some auto-immune issues. I love me some pizza and cheeseburgers so it was hard to cut, but I have found SO many recipes for "bread" substitutes and such. I love to cook though so all the prep and stuff from scratch is fun for me, but is a lot of work. I have found recipes to make my own biscuits and gravy, pancakes, sandwich "bread", etc. Pretty much any time I have a craving, I just google "keto ..." and whatever it is I'm wanting, and there is almost always a substitute! Good luck guys!

Yeah, you're going to have to share these biscuit and gravy recipes.

Closing in on 50lbs since the middle of January.

Comment

Little over two months eating on the Keto plan and about 20 lbs down... I feel great and my blood pressure is at 116/74 with a resting heart rate of 59... Not bad for a 47 year old... I will be doing blood work soon to see how all that is doing...

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      ooof, that sucks.

Granted, I am not on this diet... but my wife cooks and I just adjust my portions based on what is being served. For instance, I have found myself not eating as big a portion of rice on some days. Or instead of two fajitas, I'll just grab one tortilla and grab more meat. Just to balance it out for what I need that day.

Like a typical meal might be steak, green beans, and couscous. Some days I'll hammer the couscous and some days I'll opt for less and add on some extra steak. Or if we have shrimp alfredo, I'll take half the pasta I usually take.

Looking at some of these meals, it seems like it is just on the edge of adding some good carbs to make another person happy, and they'll eat just fewer of the fatty stuff; leaving more for you.

If I lived with a person who was on this diet, I'd pretty much eat most of the protein, have small portions of the fatty stuff, and add a dinner roll, or mashed potatoes, or couscous, or some other "fast prep" carb as my side.

Put another way, plan the meal around the protein. Make a carb side that you won't touch and a fatty side that she would eat in moderation... that might pair nicely with the carb.

We do something very similar. Most of our meals can pretty easily adjust to Keto. We have several Keto recipes that my wife likes. On the days she is craving/eating something that is really carby, I prep something else.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                        I have psriosis and thought I'd try this keto diet out to help it and maybe shed a few pounds.
                        Been on it a couple weeks and I have some bad cotton mouth. Other then that I've shed about 6 pounds.

Up your water and electrolyte intake. Hit as many of the electrolyte types as you can.
                        I drink no less than 120oz of water a day.(much of that is because I spend half my life in a dry airplane)

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                          If you can stand the taste coconut water is really good to replace electrolytes and stop the dehydration symptoms, the stuff works great but taste like poop strained through an old tennis shoe. Some folks cut it 50/50 with water, myself I chug about 6 oz. (that's about all you need per day) then chase it with water, lots of water.

Comment

My problem is finding enough fats to meet the requirements. I am too protein heavy.

But I REALLY want / need to lose a few pounds ��

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                              My problem is finding enough fats to meet the requirements. I am too protein heavy.

But I REALLY want / need to lose a few pounds í*½í¸

Then it is imperative that you cut the protein dependence and add the fat....
                              your body can break protein into carbs (in the absence of carbs and fat). You need the high fat content to force your body to seek fat as an energy source. It is addicted to carbs, so it will produce carbs in any way it can unless FORCED to look for alternate energy sources. Protein can still produce glucose. That means it can still illicit an insulin response, which means you are not in ketosis. That means you just dealt with cravings and pushed through some major self discipline for nothing, because your body found a way around it.

Comment

While good for you, coconut water is a very poor choice for those on a Keto diet. High in carbs and sugar. ALWAYS read labels if following keto. Most fruits aren't a good idea either but stick with fruits that have a Low glycemic index when you do eat them. I stick with a coupe strawberries pre workout or watermelon when I want refreshing fruit. Dry mouth is dehydration, a lot of people make the mistake of not getting enough electrolytes or salts when starting keto.
                                Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                                If you can stand the taste coconut water is really good to replace electrolytes and stop the dehydration symptoms, the stuff works great but taste like poop strained through an old tennis shoe. Some folks cut it 50/50 with water, myself I chug about 6 oz. (that's about all you need per day) then chase it with water, lots of water.
                                Originally posted by MIHunter View Post

But I REALLY want / need to lose a few pounds ��
                                Shoot me a pm, I will help you but basically oil, nuts, and cheese are your friend. Easily added to any protein meal to get your 35-40 g of fat per meal. Tablespoon of Olive or Avacado oil is 14 grams of fat. 20 grams of fat in 18 pecan halves. 1 oz of most cheese has 9 grams of fat. Also, Avocados are your friend. All of these are easy to put on or eat with your meat to get your fat calories.
                                Last edited by Rack Ranch; 07-26-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X