Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Little Long
Eight Point

Default GoPro??

Ive been on the edge about getting a gopro to film some fishing and hunting trips. Are they worth it? Hero 5 or 6? Lots of questions...any one have some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Little Long is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano, KS, IA, MO

I have one that I have used for some time (not sure which version...4 I believe) and enjoy it. For up close, first-person POV, it is great. About the only thing I don't like it for is capturing kill shots with my bow.

That said, I think it would depend on your primary usage for sure. A buddy of mine pointed me to the Ultimate Predator Adventure Cam and for filming kill shots/hunts I have loved it (https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/ult...adventure-cam/)

It has some different functionality vs that of the gopro (Zoom and non-bubble look for longer distance filming) that I liked in tandem with my bow.
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleseipp View Post
I have one that I have used for some time (not sure which version...4 I believe) and enjoy it. For up close, first-person POV, it is great. About the only thing I don't like it for is capturing kill shots with my bow.

That said, I think it would depend on your primary usage for sure. A buddy of mine pointed me to the Ultimate Predator Adventure Cam and for filming kill shots/hunts I have loved it (https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/ult...adventure-cam/)

It has some different functionality vs that of the gopro (Zoom and non-bubble look for longer distance filming) that I liked in tandem with my bow.
Whats the vid quality like? Comparable to the GP?
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Pardon my lack of editing - here is a youtube montage of the cam mounted on my bow with no zoom in. It was the quickest video available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDuE0y68ii8
Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
kyleseipp
Eight Point

I was trying it out without zoom, etc. mostly because I wanted a flat affect comparison to my gopro. It comes with a wrist remote, but I was still learning at this point. I have some additional vid from a Kansas Deer hunt that is more "functional" as far as moving the frame, etc.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
ByronB
Ten Point

The Hero 6 would be the way to go currently. It has “zoom” as well so you can take closer photos and video. It is better than the Hero 5. I have the Hero 3’s still. I do not use my GoPro’s for the actual shot on an animal. I have a Panasonic HD video camera for that. One of my GoPro’s is in the blind pointing at “me” to catch the draw......I sometimes will place another GoPro on a limb closer to the feeder to catch a different angle of the animals. At any given time I may have three cameras rolling at once when I have time to set them up. I enjoy using the GoPro’s when snorkeling as well. They are fun. Just have to take time to utilize them.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
eastxhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Long View Post
Ive been on the edge about getting a gopro to film some fishing and hunting trips. Are they worth it? Hero 5 or 6? Lots of questions...any one have some insight.

Thanks in advance!
I thought the exact same thing when I bought mine . And after zero hunts and zero fishing trips filmed I sold it on Craigslist for 1/4 of the original cost....
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Guerrero88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I paid a lot of money for my GoPro 4. It’s in the drawer doesn’t work anymore. You need to check out the Fitfort 4K action camera. I bought mine on amazon for $61.00. Comes with a remote and more accessories than I’ll ever use. Gets 4.5 stars on Amazon it’s their choice. I bought one last year very satisfied with it. Also got a charger and two extra batteries
Guerrero88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero88 View Post
I paid a lot of money for my GoPro 4. Itís in the drawer doesnít work anymore. You need to check out the Fitfort 4K action camera. I bought mine on amazon for $61.00. Comes with a remote and more accessories than Iíll ever use. Gets 4.5 stars on Amazon itís their choice. I bought one last year very satisfied with it. Also got a charger and two extra batteries

Excellent share! thanks man!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Iíve two and have never used them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the big deer roam

Get one! I have captured some awesome shots and the new ones are WAY better than the early ones. The new one they just released at the $199 price point is the best value by far.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #12
Guerrero88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Excellent share! thanks man!
Did you order one?
Guerrero88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero88 View Post
Did you order one?

Not yet.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #14
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

I think you posted a vid when Clay was up hunting with you. Looked pretty god-what did you film it with
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
I think you posted a vid when Clay was up hunting with you. Looked pretty god-what did you film it with

The only video I posted was from opening weekend of that Tom whipping up on my jake filmed on my Iphone 7 plus.

I'd love to just film with it because it does a spectacular job, but the logistics in my 6x6 blind is a challenge for a fat guy ...
Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
Little Long
Eight Point

Well went ahead and ordered one from academy online with the 20% discount that was posted. hero 5 black for 200 so figured why not lol ill let yall know it goes!!!
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #17
ANSCAG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason County, Brazos County, and Live Oak County

Hope you're not planning on using it for bird hunting. I tried it with both ducks and dove, both of them the birds were fairly difficult to see. I eventually set up the GoPro right next to my Mojo and got a few dove kill shots, but not worth it IMO for hunting. Better for family vacations or fishing trips and such.
ANSCAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #18
Little Long
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSCAG View Post
Hope you're not planning on using it for bird hunting. I tried it with both ducks and dove, both of them the birds were fairly difficult to see. I eventually set up the GoPro right next to my Mojo and got a few dove kill shots, but not worth it IMO for hunting. Better for family vacations or fishing trips and such.
ill more less be using for surf fishing trips down the beach and bow fishing. We will see, if i come up with anything cool ill post it lol