Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping
Default Let's hear from the Ford 6.2L owners

I have always considered myself a Chevy Guy. But I am seriously considering the F250 with the 6.2. Looking forward to hear your experiences good or bad. to help me decide.
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
jmeghunts
Ten Point

I have a 2015 and love it. There are a couple threads on here about them with some good information. Another good place for information is

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/

Mine has the option to lock out gears when you are pulling a load. I drove about 30 miles today, unloaded and locked out (turned off) 6th gear. It did great and had some pep at 21-2300 rpm.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

I bought a 2013 F-250 6.2 gas new. If fuel mileage is an issue do not buy a gas engine in your F-250. Pulling power is excellent. Ride is excellent and the interior of my King Ranch is very nice and has held up very well the past few years. I have had only one problem and that is the fold in side mirro on the drivers side has trouble folding in but with a little assistance it will fold. MPG is average 12 in town and (on the high end) 15 on highway. My truck is quiet, powerful, drives very well, will turn in about a 1/2 acre, I can park at Wal Mart but just barely. Good engine, transmission and body. I have been a Chevy man for years and fought my first F-150 Supercrew in 2002 and then this 2013 F-250 King Ranch. I have been very pleased with but I bet the Chevy/GMC trucks are just as good.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Just got mine last week. So far I’m impressed and like it. Following this.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I really like it and no regrets, I pull 12k pretty regular and have no complaints. I just turned 100k and no issues other than a AC compressor in the first 6 months. Mine is a 13' f250,4x4, crewcab with 3.73. I am getting a flatbed put on it and hopefully have it back tomorrow. When the time comes, I will be buying another. The hardest thing to get used to is that it runs in the high RPMS when pulling heavy. Sometimes I lock 6th out. I went from a cummins to the 6.2 and the RPM thing really got to me for awhile. Now I just put it in gear, hit the tow/haul and go.
This comes from a long time diesel owner from 1984 to my last one in 2004.
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

How do yalll lock it out of 6th gear? I’m still trying to figure out alll these buttons on this thing. I to am coming from a diesel so getting used to that as well.

Last edited by Electrican; 03-04-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

I am use to bad gas mileage I get 13mpg Hwy going downhill empty with a tail wind in my old chevy 6.0. Luckily I get a company truck and drive it home. my personal trucks are not daily drivers mainly for Hunting/Fishing.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Ronnie
Eight Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

Have a '16. Best truck I've ever owned in every aspect
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
How do yalll lock it out of 6th gear? I’m still trying to figure out alll these buttons on this thing. I to am coming from a diesel so getting used to that as well.
Use the column shifter button. Press the - button till you lock out whatever gear you want.

Last edited by Rubi513; 03-04-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas

Just bought mine 2 months ago. 2017 FX4 edition. Ride not bad at all for a big 4x4. Plenty power and pulls great. Gas mileage not bad either, getting 14-14.5 so far back and forth to work.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #11
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Use the column shifter button. Press the - button till you lock out whatever gear you want.
Ditto, you can lock out any gear you want this way. Usually if the truck is hunting gears I will push the - side of the paddle shifter until the "6" light up is gone. When 6 is not lit up, that means the tranny will not shift to 6th. You can hit the + side of paddle and 6 should light up. Its ready to be used again. If loaded real heavy and in mountains you can lock out several gears if needed by using the paddle shifter. Hope that helps
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
GIL HUNTS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease. Hunted Gillespie county for over 40 years. The search begins...

I'm enjoying my '17 6.2. My previous F-250 had the 6.8 V10. Both have plenty power and not too terrible on gas mileage either.
GIL HUNTS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Just made a deal on a new 6.2 yesterday. New truck should be here Tuesday and the 6.7 is being traded in. Look forward to less maintenance cost and fear of expensive repairs. With 2 little ones the bigger back seat will be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slabnabbin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I have a company 2011 6.0 gasser Chevy with 333,000 miles...I'll be getting a new one in April/May & not sure what it will be, nor am I rabidly partial to one flavor or another like so many that their bias banter gets nauseating. The big three can turn out great products & all three can spit out a lemon.

Having said that, if one were to ask me what I would recommend if you wanted a 3/4 gas truck to keep & drive into the ground?? From everything I have kept up with, GMs 6.0 is arguably the most reliable long term gas engine you can get for a work truck. If you trade them in every 100k, I really don't think it matters & frankly the 6.0 sucks in the giddy-up. Still, you cannot ignore how many more high mileage 6.0's are on the road than any other 3/4 ton gasser.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
kry226
Ten Point

I've been following the 6.2 for almost a year and a half, and will probably be buying one next year when we return to the States.

For prospective buyers, I highly recommend you look at ordering the 4.30 gears, especially if you plan to tow a good bit. The extra torque multiplication in many ways gives you an "extra gear" in terms of later downshifts. In other words, when the 3.73 trucks need to downshift to 4th gear to maintain on a hill, a 4.30 equipped truck may only need 5th. You'll likely see better towing and in-town mileage too, but may lose an MPG empty on the highway. YMMV.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I bought one two weeks ago and I love it. Big difference from my '14 F-150. I got the XLT package 4X4. I wanted the FX4, but tha'ts another story. This truck is awesome except for the gas mileage, but I don't drive enough to really worry about it. The first week I had it I loaded 1500 lbs of corn in the bed with 6X12 trailer loaded with another 500lbs of corn and my UTV. Drove to my lease near Pumpville and got 9 mpg. On the way back, towing just the trailer, I got 11 mpg. But, when you need to pass someone this thing will get up and go, even loaded. The trailer has a ramp and it acts pretty much like a sail. Around town this past week I've been getting 12 mpg. I think the mileage will get a little better as it gets broke in.

Here's mine with the Ranch Hand running boards I had installed.

Name:  F250.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  156.9 KB
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
I've been following the 6.2 for almost a year and a half, and will probably be buying one next year when we return to the States.

For prospective buyers, I highly recommend you look at ordering the 4.30 gears, especially if you plan to tow a good bit. The extra torque multiplication in many ways gives you an "extra gear" in terms of later downshifts. In other words, when the 3.73 trucks need to downshift to 4th gear to maintain on a hill, a 4.30 equipped truck may only need 5th. You'll likely see better towing and in-town mileage too, but may lose an MPG empty on the highway. YMMV.
Ditto on 4:30's,especially if you tow the big 5th wheel trailers that catch a lot of wind, or tow heavy in mountain states like Colorado etc. This is the only thing I would change on my truck. When I was buying I could not find a F-250 with 4:30's on a dealer lot anywhere. I found a good deal on a truck and settled for the 3:73's. My next new one, will have the 4:30's when I buy again.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
jmeghunts
Ten Point

I ordered my SCT X4 tuner from 5 Star this morning and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. I got the 87 octane tunes for economy, towing and performance. Anybody else using a tuner?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #19
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have a 2017 F350 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 rear end. I just turned over 10,000 miles and absolutely love this truck. I don't pull heavy but do haul a slide in truck camper and then have an ATV trailer I pull behind it. No problems and engine is very smooth and powerful.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
I ordered my SCT X4 tuner from 5 Star this morning and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. I got the 87 octane tunes for economy, towing and performance. Anybody else using a tuner?
I don't have a tuner like the 5 star but I did have my truck tuned by the same guy that's doing my Mustang a few months back. It was more of tune for towing than racing performance. It did make a noticeable difference in towing and I have very little hunting gears between 5 & 6 when towing. Pus I had the speed limiter bumped up and a couple other bothersome things changed
I would be interested to hear your experience with the 5 star. I have always heard positive things about them
Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #21
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
What does the tuner do? Is it for diesel engines or will it work on the gas engines as well? Does it affect warranty? How about gas mileage for those of us who don't tow a lot of heavy stuff?
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
What does the tuner do? Is it for diesel engines or will it work on the gas engines as well? Does it affect warranty? How about gas mileage for those of us who don't tow a lot of heavy stuff?
It's specifically for the 6.2 gasser and it would probably not be good for warranty stuff. May want to contact a trusted Ford guy about that. The 5 Star tuning pretty much just makes the truck do what it's capable of doing. Better shift pattern, a little more horsepower when towing and better fuel economy when not towing too. 5 Star gives 3 tunes with the SCT X4 if you buy it from them and they will adjust them based on equipment you have on the truck. My truck is stock except for tires so I got the following tunes:

87 octane daily/tow
87 octane performance
87 octane economy

I'm not a 5 Star fan boy or pushing them over any other product. I made my choice based on the forum I linked above. The 6.2 owners over there love 5 Star for the most part but there are other options out there. FYI, they give a 7% military/police/fire discount as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Thanks for the input guys . I’m just trying to decide between a F250 with 6.2 and 2500HD with 6.0. And the longevity. I usually keep a truck for a long time cause I don’t put a tremendous amount of miles on them in a year.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #24
kry226
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input guys . Iím just trying to decide between a F250 with 6.2 and 2500HD with 6.0. And the longevity. I usually keep a truck for a long time cause I donít put a tremendous amount of miles on them in a year.
Either would serve you well.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #25
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input guys . Iím just trying to decide between a F250 with 6.2 and 2500HD with 6.0. And the longevity. I usually keep a truck for a long time cause I donít put a tremendous amount of miles on them in a year.
yeah...don't sweat it if this is the case. Pick the one that has the most overall goodies that make you smile. I'll share what I can.

I'm in the oil patch & been asking around this very question (even though I have no say in what I'll end up with really) Honestly, don't care what I get be it half, 3/4 ton be it blue oval or bow tie.

Here's what I can share & this comes from guys who have been in both & are even mostly pro ford biased:

6.2 wins on the nuts when it comes to power / passing. This aspect is a big piece of the puzzle for most who are on the fence & have no interest to drive the truck into the ground.
6.0 wins on reliability / maintenance free aspect.

Both suck for fuel consumption.

6.2 sits higher & rides rougher. For me, this is a downside as I really only need a 3/4 ton maybe 25% time for work. Being rougher when you drive 400 miles or more a day & having a bed that is harder to get in & out of pushes me towards the chevy. This info comes from guys who would still pick the Ford due to admitted bias & I have to appreciate this particular feedback. If your truck is not going to be loaded down most of the time, I'm told the GM is more cozy on the road.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 01:23 AM   #26
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

'17 F250 with the 6.2. My last experience was the V10 F250 i had for 10 years. The 6.2 is very impressive. I didn't need a diesel, only haul tractor/trailers/misc. occasionally. It's been great so far. Interested in that tuner for the 6.2. I wonder what type of fuel mileage improvement people are getting.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #27
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Artos , That is exactly what I’m talking about longevity with little maintenance. I know my Chevy 6.0 has been very low maintenance and that’s with 202,000 miles. But I really like the look and stance of the new 2017-18 F250 and have heard lots off good about the 6.2 . I am just hoping it’s as low maintenance as my old 6.0 and or also wondering if a new 6.0 is as durable and trouble free as they use to be.

Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #28
RLHoward
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Just traded in a 2014 for a 2017 . I really like them .
RLHoward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #29
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

The 6.0 has been a very reliable engine. From what I have seen so far, so has the 6.2.
Ford used to offer the 6.2 with the same transmission that they used for the 6.7 powerstroke. That was changed in 17. So its still too new to know how reliable it will be.

At work we have a fleet of GMC and Chevy vans that all have the 6.0 in them. To my knowledge we have never had a engine failure. Transmissions are another story. We have had several replaced. However, these vans are all loaded very heavy with tools and parts.

I don't think you could go wrong with either truck.
If it were me I would pick the one with the best performance, and that would be the 6.2 Ford.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #30
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Just traded a 2015 6.7 ford for a new 6.2. Love the room and less worrying about costly repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slabnabbin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #31
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Thanks, keep them coming
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #32
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

2017 F250 6.2 with about 8500 miles. coming from owning a diesel since before they were the thing to have. Love the truck other than the truck being in 6th gear going 30 mph. That is why I want the tuner eventually. they can change the shift points etc. you wont get the performance or so called fuel economy they claim on diesels but it will hold gears better. I have talked with guy brushtrooper used about doing mine. I couldn't find one with the 4:30 or longbed like I wanted so I settled as well but being able to lock out gears it usually isn't that big of an issue. only time it bothered me was like brush said when I had a big camper or dump trailer on it just being a wind sail. I am routinely hearing people getting 300k miles out of the 6.2's so I hope I am one of them
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top