Port Aransas, Packery Channel fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Aransas, Packery Channel fishing

Heading to PA this Friday. Is it safe to wade fish there? Where is the best place to go. Will probably be fishing only real early mornings Sat and Sunday

where you staying at? The jetty's are always an option

Comment

Some house my daughter rented in PA.

Comment

The jetty fish are along the rocks not in the middle of the channel. Outside the jettys is more like the regular surf.

Comment

If you want to wade you might try Fish Pass located on the park road from the Island to Port A. Drive all the way down the road and the wade towards the Corpus Causeway.

Comment

I would rather wade fish if I could. Any idea on what they are biting on. I usually use soft plastics on the coast. Will they work there?

Comment

Down South plastics have worked well for me.

Comment

Jerry I will be in Port A this weekend myself. I wouldn't mind going wading with ya, if you are looking for company. I am no help as to where to go though.

Comment

Just got back the fish where hitting hard at the mustang jetty .

Comment

Went down about a month ago and wade fished at Fish Pass. Likc chuckc. said, drive all the way down the road. If you're coming from Port Aransas its a gravel road right before the bridge, you should see signs. It turns to sand on that road and there is one spot that had water over it. We were in my F150 2wd and made it through it just fine. Youll hit a stopping point where it opens up into the bay, youll park and walk from there. We threw live shrimp with a popping cork and it worked well.

Comment

Shamrock Island is always an option. Packery Channel N of the highway. You will see people. That is Corpus.

Comment

We usually go into PA from Corpus way. So the wading area will be to the left?

Comment

pm sent deathrow

Comment

Yes, you'll see a sign that says fish pass. You'll also pass Shamrock , but I'm not sure if that's marked. Many years ago one of the top guides in the area was a gentleman named Bird. When asked by anyone who didn't have a boat where to fish, he would direct them to fish pass. Nothing as good as it used to be as far as the fishing goes around here, but both of those areas can be good. Packery was good before they opened it. Now it's packed with people and too deep to wade across. My son caught a really nice stringer of reds and trout on corkies there before they dredged it. We would wade across the channel late at night and fish the green lights on docks. If you don't mind walking a long way, drive into Shamrock until you're about even with the big blue Port A water tower and walk through the shallows towards Corpus until you reach Shamrock Cove. Take a cast net and catch a bunch of finger mullet along the way. You can really do well on the reds, but it is a long walk. Lots of stingrays so be careful where you step if you try this!
                            Last edited by chuckc.; 07-18-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                              If you want to wade you might try Fish Pass located on the park road from the Island to Port A. Drive all the way down the road and the wade towards the Corpus Causeway.
                              Shhh...
                              Live shrimp under a popping cork will work for trout, reds and drum. there are several guts out at the end. try and work those with that rig.
                              Plastics work as well. just keep moving looking for bait. there was tons of it a few weeks ago there.

Comment

Working...
                              X