Water hole for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D C View Post
    Jason, what's with the stick in the water? I know there is a reason for it, just cant think of what that reason would be.
    Let small animals crawl out so they do not drown and contaminate the water.

Comment

What kind of hose are you using?
      The stick is for mice and other critters to get out if they fall in.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Let small animals crawl out so they do not drown and contaminate the water.
        Thought that was it. Thanks!

Comment

Tractor Supply little giant.
          http://https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-automatic-waterer?cm_vc=-10005

I used a small horse stall water trough set up in some rocks attached to a tote with pvc pipe. The smaller the water trough the less evaporation. Sorry no pictures handy of the completed project
          Last edited by 14JKURX; 12-01-2017, 09:44 AM. Reason: Picture wouldn’t post

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
            Buddy did something like this at his ranch but he left them on a trailer so he could easily drag them back into town to refill.
            We have come a long way since these pics were taken because it works so well. Humper and I now have 2 totes per pen to cut down on fills and have two totes on a trailer with a 2" clean water pump to fill them. Takes about 40 minutes per 275 gallon tote to fill from our well but the pump gets 275 gallons from the trailer totes to our totes in 2.5 minutes. Good news is we use the 80 minutes to fill to eat, cool off, or do our camp project lists.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	24521998

Click image for larger version

Name:	00slkrwater.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	24521999

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            Man, the band is beautiful. Good strategy (dang auto correct--I typed "strategery") Will certainly pilfer this in the future.
            Thank you. I'm all about re-purposing stuff where I can...

Originally posted by Beargrizzly90 View Post
            What kind of hose are you using?
            The stick is for mice and other critters to get out if they fall in.
            I use the braided steel washing machine hoses. These were 8 footers and I used two inline per set. They don't crack like PVC during freezes. I'm on year 4 with these and no issues.

Comment

So we have a full time creek and several wet weather creeks on our property. Will putting watering options out help keep deer in areas longer?

Especially since it is pine plantation, and we have a few cutovers that have the wet weather creeks running through them.

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post
                So we have a full time creek and several wet weather creeks on our property. Will putting watering options out help keep deer in areas longer?

Especially since it is pine plantation, and we have a few cutovers that have the wet weather creeks running through them.
                If you have plenty of natural water I would spend your money and efgirts more on food than more water. These waters that are put out are usually more in dry locations.

Comment

Originally posted by east tx hoghunt View Post
                  If you have plenty of natural water I would spend your money and efgirts more on food than more water. These waters that are put out are usually more in dry locations.
                  Agreed for the most part unless you have a big place and the natural water is on one side of the property. We have full time water but it is all wells via concrete troughs for the cattle. Some of our deer had to walk a long way for water. I like to think it keeps our border deer that use closer water on the neighbor's side from going over there and getting shot too. One might also argue that it keeps better weight on them because they don't have to walk the extra 800-1000 yards to water everyday. Either way, they are using it and it's not much work. It's a cheap attractant once you get the initial purchase out of the way.

Comment

I've been looking to build something similar to this. Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      We have come a long way since these pics were taken because it works so well. Humper and I now have 2 totes per pen to cut down on fills and have two totes on a trailer with a 2" clean water pump to fill them. Takes about 40 minutes per 275 gallon tote to fill from our well but the pump gets 275 gallons from the trailer totes to our totes in 2.5 minutes. Good news is we use the 80 minutes to fill to eat, cool off, or do our camp project lists.

[ATTACH]885796[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]885797[/ATTACH]

Thank you. I'm all about re-purposing stuff where I can...

I use the braided steel washing machine hoses. These were 8 footers and I used two inline per set. They don't crack like PVC during freezes. I'm on year 4 with these and no issues.

How long does two 275 gallon totes last in the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        How long does two 275 gallon totes last in the summer?

For us with a higher deer populations...close to 2 months. If its wet like this past summer we get even more. We typically get about 1-1.5 month per tote ...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          For us with a higher deer populations...close to 2 months. If its wet like this past summer we get even more. We typically get about 1-1.5 month per tote ...
                          I'm sold, thanks

Comment

Sure thing!

Comment

Working...
                            X