how many grow back yard chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many grow back yard chickens?

Lets see your chickens. My little one love collecting eggs and feeding the chickens. Now she want a milk goat.
    Attached Files

we've got some. it's our first time trying it. got 4 chicks late last year that turned into 1 rooster and 3 hens. figure the roosters days are numbered because we should be getting eggs anytime between now and easter.

Comment

I started with game chickens too and then slowly went to Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. The game hen set really well but they don't have any meat on them. I still have two or three grey hens i keep around for hatching. One just hatched out 12 chicks Sunday morning.

Comment

We have chickens ,peacock guineas and ducks . Don't have any pics . Think we have 18 or so chickens

Comment

I grew up around game chickens. These were free. This is our first time to raise chickens. WE have 10 pullets and 1 stage. They have been laying any where between 6 to 10 eggs a day. Does anyone know a good wormer that is ok for egg consumption? Prefer organic.
          Last edited by LWArchery; 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Currently 5 as I had to put one down just last week due to being egg bound or stroke

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
              Does anyone know a good wormer that is ok for egg consumption? Prefer organic.

you can mix in Diatomaceous earth into their food....
              Last edited by yanta61; 03-04-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Bought 120 meat chickens last year as chicks. Rhode Islands, I believe. Built a nice pen, all the fixings...

After the hawks got in, I installed a top over the entire pen. Then the coyotes came in. Installed mesh 3 feet into the ground around the pen. Then the raccoons and possums came...

By the time they were big enough to eat, I had 48 chickens at about $28/each. I just buy them now.

Comment

Originally posted by sniper steve View Post
                  Bought 120 meat chickens last year as chicks. Rhode Islands, I believe. Built a nice pen, all the fixings...

After the hawks got in, I installed a top over the entire pen. Then the coyotes came in. Installed mesh 3 feet into the ground around the pen. Then the raccoons and possums came...

By the time they were big enough to eat, I had 48 chickens at about $28/each. I just buy them now.
                  I know how you feel. I am trying to train my 11yr old duck dog to leave them alone.

Comment

Awesome to see your little girl doing that; my youngest son grew up tending to everything from cattle, to horses. Growing up with that responsibility he became a good provider to his family and recently got his daughters involved tending to livestock. What a way to grow up. Good job Bubba!

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                      Awesome to see your little girl doing that; my youngest son grew up tending to everything from cattle, to horses. Growing up with that responsibility he became a good provider to his family and recently got his daughters involved tending to livestock. What a way to grow up. Good job Bubba!
                      Thats how I was raised. Its pretty neat to know from start to finish where your food comes from. There is definitely a difrence in an egg that is only a day or two old.

Comment

My wife and I started with 4 chickens in our backyard. Then she wanted a milk goat......,,then land hunt began and lasted a year, bought our small farm .
                        3 1/2 years later were living on 23 acres with about 70 laying hens, milk goat, milk cow and pastured pigs. It's an addiction that we love.

Comment

^^^^
                          Great pic

We have only two none laying hens right now.
                          Soon time for new chicks and slaughter of the old hens

Just love me a fresh egg

Comment

I do quail

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                              ^^^^
                              Great pic

We have only two none laying hens right now.
                              Soon time for new chicks and slaughter of the old hens

Just love me a fresh egg

Thanks, my wife can do some great work with a camera. The freshness of the eggs and meat from raising your own food is amazing. Our daughter has seen and learned more being involved with all of it then some people do in a lifetime. We enjoy it very much and get excited to see others starting out just like we did, first just a couple chickens, then a goat and that's how it all begins. Good times

Comment

Working...
                              X