Finally got the Governor his knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the Governor his knife

I built this knife a while back, intended for Governor Abbott to celebrate the passing of HB1935 which legalized bowie knife carry. Unfortunately hurricane Harvey literally rained on our party, so it took a while to close the deal. Because of the governor thing, many different people had a part in this project. Since this was a bowie, going to the governor of Texas, by a Texas knifemaker, I went with a collection of Texas historical materials.

The blade is forged W2, donated to the project by Aldo Bruno.

The handle is sycamore wood, spalted, from the grounds of the Texas Capitol building in Austin. My brother was friends in college with a guy who worked grounds crew and brought the wood home as firewood. It was ultimately dyed and stabilized by Terry Dunn, of LaVernia, TX. Terry is a TBH member, rubydog.

The guard and spacer are wrought iron, blued. The material was given by Will Frary of Grapevine, TX, and came from the rail of the first railroad into Dallas, TX in 1872.

The coined spacers are 1836 capped-bust half dollars. Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836.

The stand includes mesquite from Abilene, given to me by my cousin, also a 6th generation Fry Texan. The wrought iron square nails forged to shape for the stand are from the house of 1840’s settler Allen Urquhart, who founded Jefferson, TX. The nails were donated by Don Millhouse of Fredericksburg, Tx.

Thanks to all who contributed to this project!

We met with the Governor on Tuesday last week. He was genuinely interested in the knife's different elements. Left to right, here is Rep Frullo of Lubbock, Doug Ritter of Knife Rights, me, Todd Rathner, and the governor. My instructions were to "dress like a knifemaker, not a lobbyist."

To get this second picture took some shenanigans. We were sitting in the parking lot of the Governor's Mansion about 45 minutes before our appointment, with the Capitol just across the street. That portrait of Jim Bowie is the only known picture of him when he was alive, and was purchased by the State of Texas a few years ago for nearly $300K. It hangs inside the chambers of the House of Representatives. As you might imagine, one does not simply walk into the House chambers inside the Capitol with a giant knife. Even though this wasn't on the agenda, I asked Todd and Doug if we could make it happen. After a couple of phone calls, a laptop bag, and the secret squirrel entrance, we were able to get the photo. No laws were broken, but strings were pulled for sure.

Thanks for letting me share the story with you all!

Wow! Absolutely stunning craftsmanship and a great story with pics to share for generations to come.

Comment

That's a great story and a beautiful Bowie knife ! Congrats to you Sir !

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats that was a great write up and Pics proved it happened. You might become a legend.

Great work.

Comment

That's awesome! Heck of a knife!

Comment

Great knife and a great story, now part of Texas History!

Comment

That's incredible Jason! Love the history and makes me that much more to be living in the greatest State in the country! Thanks for sharing and great job for what you have done.

Comment

Thats awesome! Congrats on a great job.

Comment

That is a once in a lifetime honor. Congrats, thanks for sharing this story.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Great looking knife.

Comment

Very nice knife. From one Texan to another.
                        Thanks for honoring our history.

Comment

That is some great history in that art you created

Comment

That’s pretty awesome!

Comment

Love the story. I bet Abbott liked it. Very significant knife build. Congrats on the picture

Comment

Working...
                              X