victoria area gunsmith/re-barrel ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

victoria area gunsmith/re-barrel ?'s

mens, I have 3 7mm rem mags. my least accurate, a vanguard, which is still a sub-moa rifle with heavy for caliber only handloads, is on the way to a makeover... can I re-chamber a vanguard 7mm rem mag to a 6.5-06 ? if so, are there any gunsmiths in the area that would do a good job?

Different bolt faces.

Comment

264 win mag

Comment

I like that option, too..

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
          mens, I have 3 7mm rem mags. my least accurate, a vanguard, which is still a sub-moa rifle with heavy for caliber only handloads, is on the way to a makeover... can I re-chamber a vanguard 7mm rem mag to a 6.5-06 ? if so, are there any gunsmiths in the area that would do a good job?
          Option #1 You can re-barrel and chambered it in 6.5-06 but will need a standard size (.472") bolt to replace your magnum bolt (.532") bolt. This will run into more money than it's worth.

Option #2 would be to re-barrel to any of the standard magnums, 264 WM is one. I believe Vangard/Howas are metric so you will need to find a smith that work with them as some do not mess with them Cost will probably be $500 or so for a decent re[barrel.

Option#3 and #4.
          Keep it as a 7mmRM or sell it and use the funds to buy another rifle of choice

Comment

Something else to consider:

Match grade quality S.S. barrel blank $365
            Fit, chamber, crown onto your action $250
            True/blu-print your action (likely needs to be done) $150

You’ll spend $765+ to change cartridges (still magnum boltface), and possibly more if you pillar & glass bed the action.

My advice, sell the Vanguard for $399 , combine that with $765 and buy a super nice, accurate factory rifle in 6.5 whatever . Tikka or Bergara B-14 HMR would be hard to beat

Comment

This man has wisdom exceeding his years. 👍

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

You’ll spend $765+ to change cartridges (still magnum boltface), and possibly more if you pillar & glass bed the action.

My advice, sell the Vanguard for $399 , combine that with $765 and buy a super nice, accurate factory rifle in 6.5 whatever . Tikka or Bergara B-14 HMR would be hard to beat

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Both the Tikka and Bergara will be shooters! Can’t go wrong with either of those options.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                X