Arrows for longbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrows for longbow?

Just picked up my longbow and decided I need to work on arrows. I have a 62 inch Sarrels longbow that is 58#. My draw is about 29 1/4 so Im figuring about 61#.

I am about to order arrows and trying to decide. Thinking of Carbon Express Heritage 250's- put in weight tubes at 8 grains per inch and I shoot 150 grain heads.

I figure cut about 30 inches long- arrows are 11 grains an inch add 8 per inch for the weight tube and 150 for the heads. That would put me shooting about 720 grains or so. Wondering if anyone has shot simular in weight or should I be looking for something else. Trying new idea and go lots heavier thatn I was shooting. Thanks for the input. Ill try an put bow pics up later once I give her a test ride.

Glen congrats on a great bow,I shoot a 58''Sarrels@58lbs with my 29'' draw.I am no expert on carbons(having just switched from wood)but I shoot 29 3/4 goldtips 55/75 with a 160 gr tip + insert,and they fly like darts.
    I am a big fan of heavy arrows,but 720 sounds a little heavy,but if you can put em where you are looking,they ought to blow thru anything

Comment

I could buy weight tubes at 5 grains an inch making total weight of 630- I was asking if anyone shoots arrows this heavy and if it is getting too heavy at 720 grains. My current arrows are 460 grains and looking for a little more energy.

Comment

I LOVE heavy arrows. That said I try to stay arounf 11 grains per pound of bow the 5 grain per inch tubes would be my choice

Comment

Before you cut those arrows see how they shoot full length. It sucks when you cut all the arrows off to length and find you need a weaker spine. 2 inches will make a difference.

Comment

I'm learnin' on this one.

Comment

it really boils down to personal preference. I worry about penetration on big game. Any thing over 300 pounds. So I shoot heavy arrows but it is a trade off. The more your arrow weighs the slower it is going to be which makes hitting something with them more difficult. Chunky has killed more animals than parvo and he generally shoots an arrow 100 grains lighter than me. (just trying to make it as complicated as possible)

Comment

I just ordered the arrows and plan on shooting them at full length and then cutting them til they spine right. I will try to be hunting with them in less than 2 weeks.

Comment

Good luck Glen. I love my Sarrels longbow...love it so much I REALLY want to order another! Which model did you go with?

Comment

It is a Sierra that I purchased from a guy that had it made for him. It was 62# and 64 inches. I talked to Bob and took it to him and he worked on it for me. He shaved it a little cut the ends down and put new tips on it. It brought the bow doown to a 58#- and 62 inches. Ive been shooting it for the last two days and it goes where I point it most of the time. - I gotta admit though. When I took the bow to Bob I did order another one at 53# @ 29 inches and I got it with the new design he started building with the shorter riser.

Comment

Working...
                    X