Zimbabwe’s most beloved lion, Cecil, killed by a trophy hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zimbabwe’s most beloved lion, Cecil, killed by a trophy hunter

An immensely popular lion known as Cecil was killed recently outside of Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, and authorities are trying to find the hunter said to have lured the animal beyond park boundaries before shooting him with a crossbow.

The 13-year-old black-maned lion, who wore a GPS collar and was part of an Oxford University research project, was found skinned on private property adjacent to the vast Africa wilderness preserve.

The death of Cecil, beloved by Hwange’s staff and its frequent visitors, cast a pall over the preserve, and left many stunned in disbelief.

Reads a comment from a frequent visitor on the Hwange National Park Facebook page: “I am so saddened to hear about Cecil. I do hope that his murder is not in vain. Hopefully, the investigation will shine a light on the person who lured him out to kill him.”

image: http://cdn.grindtv.com/wp-content/up.../07/cecil1.jpg
    cecil1

Cecil the lion had become accustomed to human visitors. Video screen grab.

Fueling the anger is that Cecil did not die immediately. The wounded lion was tracked for nearly two days after it was shot, and ultimately dispatched with a rifle.

According to the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, the hunting party used an animal carcass to lure Cecil outside the park boundary. Because the cat wore a GPS collar, it was simple to trace its final movements.

Though many lions have been killed after being lured to legal hunting zones with bait, authorities maintain that this was an illegal hunt. They’ve arrested two men belonging to the hunting party, but are still seeking the trigger man, who is said to be from Spain.

The hunter, who reportedly paid about $55,000 to kill a trophy lion, was a member of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association, but that group stated via Facebook that the hunter was “in violation of the ethics of ZPHGA,” and that his membership has been suspended.

Part of the statement reads, “The ZPHGA reiterates it will not tolerate any illegal hunting or any unethical practices by any of its members and their staff.”

Cecil had become accustomed to visitors in Hwange National Park. He was often spotted on the main road used by visitors, and had become a park icon and its most photographed animal.

His loss leaves a void in his pride that will be filled by another male lion, and that could jeopardize the health of Cecil’s six cubs, as a new lion establishes his dominance over the pride. (New males often kill cubs to encourage the female to mate.)

While the investigation continues, the incident has reignited the debate about the wisdom of trophy hunting in general, but especially near protected wilderness areas.

Reads a statement from African Bush Camps: “A meeting has been called for all stakeholders including the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association, Safari Operators Association Zimbabwe and National Parks to discuss the incident and find a resolution.

“The Tourism Operators in Hwange National Park, as well as the majority of the Zimbabwean population, are extremely passionate about the wildlife that we have worked hard to protect and continue to do so to ensure the long term conservation of not only our National Parks but their surrounding vulnerable wilderness areas.”

Read more at http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/zimb...PAmKR7aOz9k.99

Not a good deal no matter if it was outside the park or not. it gives all hunters a bad name due to the lion itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Not a good deal no matter if it was outside the park or not. it gives all hunters a bad name due to the lion itself.
      Exactly what I was thinking. I hate to hear stuff like this.

Comment

Report I read said the hunter paid $55,00 to kill this lion!

Comment

That's relatively cheap for a wild lion now.

Comment

That's a shame.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Report I read said the hunter paid $55,00 to kill this lion!
              On property with no lion quota.
              Ph has been arrested is what I read.
              Antis making some headway in closing down lion hunting... This won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                That's relatively cheap for a wild lion now.
                Wild is all relative. He would eat a sammich from your car door.

Comment

So would yall consider it bad to lure a buck out of hagerman wildlife refuge?
                  Last edited by Russ; 07-27-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Last year I was in China when that American had payed $50,000 to shoot an old lion that was now sterile and becoming a problem to rest of the pride. All the money went to the preserve and local villages. All the headlines in the China newspapers said...American shoots rare endangered lion in Africa with gun for fun. Man all the locals where I was staying were ****** at us...so guess the propaganda was success.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      So would yall consider bad to lure a buck out of hagerman wildlife refuge?
                      no because there are tons and tons of deer. not everything is completely black and white. common sense says this was a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                        no because there are tons and tons of deer. not everything is completely black and white. common sense says this was a bad deal.
                        I am hunting lion next summer. Already booked my trip! They aren't rare or endangered. So unless he was hunting an area where lion hunting was illegal than I don't see the harm.

Comment

Bummer. That's not the kind of press we need. Hope they throw the book at these folks if the allegations are accurate.

Comment

People kill bighorn sheep coming out of parks onto public hunting and private land all the time. Yet no one complains!
                            Sounds to me like this lion was old and died by the way of a hunter instead of by disease or old age. Wildlife parks shouldn't try and turn wild lions into pets anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X