Playing the Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing the Wind

Since the opener started this past weekend, I've noticed a bunch of threads pertaining to being busted by the wind and scent control. I decided to start this thread and share my tips and tricks on playing the wind correctly. Some of this many of you already know, so if I miss something, feel free to chime in. This is mostly for the guys that are newer to close range bow hunting who have never really had to play the wind with so many factors.

Playing the wind:
    I can't remember the last time I was busted by the wind, probably a few years ago. We all know we want our feeders (if you use them) or shooting area to be upwind of our stands. That is a great starting point.

However, keeping that area upwind of you is not fool proof. Knowing where the deer are coming from is the first thing you should know before playing the wind. Your feeder or shooting area may be upwind of you, but what if a bedding area is behind you, and you are making an evening sit? While you are downwind from your feeder, your scent is still being blown into the bedding area, or the direction the deer will be coming from to start their evening feeding.

In this scenerio, with the same wind, I will actually hunt this stand in the morning, as the deer are going back to bed, as they will be coming in front of you, up wind.

If a bedding area is south of me (behind me), I will hunt that set in the evening on a south wind, or in the morning on a north wind.

If you are on a lease that only allows 1 or 2 stand locations, put up a couple different stands at the same spot. One for a north wind and one for a south wind. This way you can hunt your spot regardless of wind direction. If it shifts, don't be afraid to climb down and make a move to your other stand.

Scent control:
    most everyone is good about scent control for their clothing, but most don't think about scent control for the woods. Find ways to get to your stand in which you won't be walking through a deer's path that is leading to you. I generally approach my stand from directly in front of the stand. I do this because if a deer can make it in front of me without winding me, it's probably too late for the deer and I'm already drawn back.

Depending on the wind direction and deer travel routes, I may end up walking 200-300 yards to a stand that is only 100 yards away (for example).

It all boils down to keeping out of a deer's direct path to you, and KNOWING where the deer are coming from. Once you have these factors down, ten you can truly play the wind and use it to your advantage.

Swirling winds you ask? Sometimes luck just isn't on our side. More than likely, if a wind is less than 5mph, it's generally going to swirl, and that is when you do 2 things. Don't hunt, or pucker up and hope it all plays out.

Thermals:
    In the mornings, thermals are rising as the air is warming from the sun which is carrying your scent higher in the air, and is great for us tree stand hunters on those morning hunts. Playing the wind isn't quite as important if you are high enough in the air and have a rising thermal in the morning. In the evening, thermals are falling as the air is cooling off which is when we are most susceptible to being winded. This is when you use all the knowledge you have gained to really play the wind.

Hope this helps some guys out in the field and if anyone has anything they'd like to add, feel free!

good advice Btech!

Comment

Yup. Good stuff for sure.

Knowing where your deer bed and what travel routes they take to get to the feeding area is a big part of the whole deal.

Skinny

Comment

I think my main point here is, so many people probably hunt down wind of their feeder and think they're good to go, but it doesn't mean squat if the deer are coming from behind you. They won't ever make it to your feeder if that's the case.

Comment

Good advice!

I've noticed too that the wind doesn't swirl near as much in an open spot like a food plot or field. If you are in the woods and have small openings that's where the wind will swirl the most.

We got busted twice due to swirling winds this weekend... Nothing in the woods while the storms would come and go.

Comment

Really great advice. I would add:

1. Hunting a cross wind on a feeder is better than directly down wind. Unless the feeder was placed on an established travel route that has them coming to the feeder from a direction other than downwind of the feeder. I have a couple feeders set up this way and I can sit directly down wind of the feeder and the deer will almost always come from my right or left.

2. The odd wind is the best, IMO. Our typical wind comes out of the SE and I LOVE North or West winds; because the deer become creatures of habit and will establish patterns around that predominant wind. I'll place a stand (usually ambush style) for those rate days and I'll slay them- the per sit kill percentage is 5X better.

3. Combining an Ozonics unit with playing the wind really reduces the odds of getting busted from behind.

Comment

Good advice. We all need to be reminded every once in a while.

Comment

Great advice. I have one comment.

Four years ago all of my hunts have been from a ground blind. I have never been busted & I been surrounded by both pigs & deer. I leave only one window open for shooting & two cracked slightly for viewing. I completely seal the bottom edges with carpet. This set up has worked well for me.

I also use good sent control products for my body and clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                  Really great advice. I would add:

1. Hunting a cross wind on a feeder is better than directly down wind. Unless the feeder was placed on an established travel route that has them coming to the feeder from a direction other than downwind of the feeder. I have a couple feeders set up this way and I can sit directly down wind of the feeder and the deer will almost always come from my right or left.

2. The odd wind is the best, IMO. Our typical wind comes out of the SE and I LOVE North or West winds; because the deer become creatures of habit and will establish patterns around that predominant wind. I'll place a stand (usually ambush style) for those rate days and I'll slay them- the per sit kill percentage is 5X better.

3. Combining an Ozonics unit with playing the wind really reduces the odds of getting busted from behind.
                  Ah yes, the cross wind, EXCELLENT point!

I have a set up on another bedding area. I'm set on the east side of an open area that the like to come out to. In the evenings, they always come from the west. With a south, north, or west wind, I can still play.

Comment

Great advice

Comment

Great advice!

Comment

Working...
                      X