Practicing for Long Range Hunting Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practicing for Long Range Hunting Shots

I’m curious what some of you have done to train and prepare for Western type hunts, etc.?

I’ve got a West Texas Aoudad hunt planned and I’m set up for up to 500 yard shots. I Have a good Leupold rangefinder that will provide the true ballistics distance for angles plus an App that will shoot the angle for me but the wind drift piece has me really concerned.

Seems like it will be a complete guess and trust with guide, plug in numbers on my App and make the MIL adjustments? With limited long range shooting experience what have you all done to prepare or recommend?

Thanks GS...

G.

Best I can give ya is lots of practice

Comment

Shoot under stress. Run a little then take a shot, push ups then take a shot. Anything to get your heart rate up. Also practice trigger pull, the more time your practice keeping it still the better. 500 ain’t that big of a deal and I would not worry about wind as much as I would a good steady rest. ( unless you have Gail force winds). Good luck

Comment

Get a kestrel

Comment

I was shooting out to 550 last weekend and was surprised how much drift from a relative low angle(32degree) 8mph wind(guess) was. About 13". I will say the Strelok app was much closer than I would have thought. MOst important this is accurate distance. There was 12" of additional drop from 500 to 550. Shooting longer distance is doable if you have all the data.

Comment

I use the kestrel and the br2 g7 range finder. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              I was shooting out to 550 last weekend and was surprised how much drift from a relative low angle(32degree) 8mph wind(guess) was. About 13". I will say the Strelok app was much closer than I would have thought. MOst important this is accurate distance. There was 12" of additional drop from 500 to 550. Shooting longer distance is doable if you have all the data.
              I’m using the Strelok App - still trying to learn it all.

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
                I’m using the Strelok App - still trying to learn it all.
                Those apps are only as good as the info you feed them.

Comment

eems like it will be a complete guess and trust with guide, plug in numbers on my App and make the MIL adjustments? With limited long range shooting experience what have you all done to prepare or recommend?
                  Start with a ballistics chart for your rifle, ammo and scope. I use the Strelok Pro app but there are others. Go to a range where you can shoot those distances. True your data and develop your own dope sheet. For instance, if you’re a minute low at 300, make that adjustment on your chart. Print or screenshot your dope sheet and tape it to your rifle or carry it in your pocket.
                  My sheep guide told me to be prepared for 400-500 yard shots and I ended up taking mine at 125 yards
                  Also practice your wind calls. You can plug wind direction and speed in to the Strelok app and it will tell you how many minutes to hold left or right but it’s good to have those values down because, during a hunt you might not have a lot of time to fumble with your phone and the wind is constantly changing.

Comment

Shoot shoot shoot at 100-600 and write everything down. I've used apps and they have been pretty far off with exact bullets and speeds put in. I'm sure your chronographing your shots as well for true fps.

When in doubt don't take the shot. Best to get to 300 yards then let a 500 yard loose and hit less then optimal and lose it.

Comment

If you aren't comfortable with making those shots given any condition and have confidence in your equipment, you don't need to take a shot at those distances.

I shoot regularly between 500 and 950 and have lots of time behind the gun and thousands of rounds downrange. I don't put my self in situations where I don't feel comfortable taking the shot. Take the extra time to get a little closer to a range you have no doubts about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Start with a ballistics chart for your rifle, ammo and scope. I use the Strelok Pro app but there are others. Go to a range where you can shoot those distances. True your data and develop your own dope sheet. For instance, if you’re a minute low at 300, make that adjustment on your chart. Print or screenshot your dope sheet and tape it to your rifle or carry it in your pocket.
                        My sheep guide told me to be prepared for 400-500 yard shots and I ended up taking mine at 125 yards
                        Also practice your wind calls. You can plug wind direction and speed in to the Strelok app and it will tell you how many minutes to hold left or right but it’s good to have those values down because, during a hunt you might not have a lot of time to fumble with your phone and the wind is constantly changing.
                        Thank you for the feedback and advice - the dope sheet is on my todo list along with lots of practicing over the next 9 months...

Comment

I agree with the practice comments. I have been practicing and learning a lot over the last 3 years between 300 and 1000. What I have learned is that, once you have your ballistics and dopes down, the elevation adjustments are easy. It really is all about reading the wind, and the more you practice that, the better you will get at it.

And yes, a bad wind call at 500 yards is enough to make you miss...and definitely enough to make you wound the animal at that range.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Those apps are only as good as the info you feed them.
                            Bingo.

What a lot of folks don’t understand is you can’t take readings off a box and make it work.

Chrono your load. A lot. True your BC. These 2 are directly related and will take 95% of the error out of your shot.

Wind. That’s the hardest part. If someone could read wind perfect every time they would win every single match there is. Get a kestrel. Wind direction. Speed. Also pay VERY close attention to angle and density altitude. If your load shots one thing at 300 feet above sea level it’s gonna be a different ballgame at 6500+.

Wind direction. Tail wind or head wind will change your drop. Ideal conditions is a steady wind at at 3 or 9 o’clock. That’s easy to read. Watch stuff at the target AND between. Big factor in the canyons is the higher that bullet gets off the ground the stronger the wind usually is. And wind can be going different directions in different canyons. I’ve had wind going 3 directions on an 1800 yard shot. Tricky is an understatement. I’ve had 1000+ yard shots that were easier than a 700 yard shot. Wind is the hardest part of the human factor.

CDS disks are junk. BDC reticles are junk. Get either a mil or moa turret and reticle. I hold wind and dial elevation. Near impossible to dial wind as it changes so often. Elevation adjustment is usually consistent and a fast change on a moving animal. If the wind is not steady either shoot at peak or when it’s calm. Not when it’s increasing. And remember to watch between you and the target. Wind may be calm where you are and full force in the middle or anywhere else. Practice practice practice. You won’t learn it overnight. And this is where you’ll see a difference in cheap equipment and ammo. A 500 yard shot is easy easy 99% of the time. Practice at 1000+ and a 500 yard shot feels like 200. Good luck!!

Comment

PRS club shoots are a great way to learn wind and extended shots. The only way to get better is practice better. I agree with SierraCharlie that you should only take a shot you are 100% confident in. Missing a Target is a lot better than wounding an animal.

Comment

Working...
                              X