Legal Buck or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Buck or...

What was a 17 point non-typical 6.5 year old buck is now an 9 pointer with the entire right antler broken off (we suspect he lost a fight). We want to remove the buck from our hurd because of its age. Property is under 13” regulations. Shoot or not shoot? How did you come to this conclusion?

(BTW I already have the answer from my local Game Warden. When I contacted Austin they didn’t have an answer.)

I’d guess they told you no.

Comment

If I didn't know the history of the deer and he stepped out I'd shoot him as long as the other side looked unbranched.

Comment

If the spread from the inside of the remaining main beam to the inside of whatever is left of his other side is more than 13" (unlikely), he would be legal. Now if the other side is unbranched, then I guess he would be considered legal. If you are sure he is only 6.5 and not older, he sounds like a good deer to let go and hope he is an absolute monster next year.

Comment

Yes legal if a complete break off 1 side is unbranched. When are you going to tell us what the GW said?
          Last edited by Kurdawg; 10-31-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
            What was a 17 point non-typical 6.5 year old buck is now an 9 pointer with the entire right antler broken off (we suspect he lost a fight). We want to remove the buck from our hurd because of its age. Property is under 13” regulations. Shoot or not shoot? How did you come to this conclusion?

(BTW I already have the answer from my local Game Warden. When I contacted Austin they didn’t have an answer.)
            I wouldn't shoot. Let him live another year and try to kill him In tack

Comment

Can we see a photo??

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                I wouldn't shoot. Let him live another year and try to kill him In tack
                agreed, unless you get clear answer from the GW.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
                  agreed, unless you get clear answer from the GW.
                  Still would not kill him with one side completely broke off.

Sounds like a pretty cool deer. Non typical 17 pt

Comment

You must have a lot of great bucks if you want to remove a broke up 17pt just because of age.

Comment

1 unbranched antler gives you your answer. Why shoot if he's only 6 though?

Comment

I can't see the logic behind 'age' being the reason you would take out a 6.5 yr old buck in those circumstances. I would be encouraging every body on the property to give him a pass until 7.5 and try to get him when he isn't broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                          I can't see the logic behind 'age' being the reason you would take out a 6.5 yr old buck in those circumstances. I would be encouraging every body on the property to give him a pass until 7.5 and try to get him when he isn't broken.
                          me neither.

Comment

Is he broke off flush or did he break the beam off below the brow?

If flush, not legal, if broke off below the brow thus making it unbranched, legal. If a GW wrote you a ticket for it it would not stand in court the way the law is written.

I wouldn't shoot him either way.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot him at 6.5 either especially if you have a feeding program in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X