Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Truck Help!

Fellow TBH'ers...

I'm looking to beef up my new Chevy 1500 High Country. I'm starting with BFG A/T tires but eventually (maybe) id like to modify exhaust, headers, throttle body, cold air intake (K&N), etc...

I'm not very familiar with aftermarket auto stuffs so I'd welcome any brand recommendations/reviews/experiences.

Obviously I'm not going to be doing everything at once. After new tires, where's a good place to start in your opinion? Exhaust, Cold air intake, etc?

Also, if anyone is familiar with any trustworthy shops around the NW Houston area, I'd like to hear it.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys/girls out there. Hoping to learn a bit and see/hear what you guys got under the hood... Thanks

Exhaust: Whatever you like the sound of... If it's a 6.2 Corsa sounds amazing but it's pricey.

Air Intake: Lots of $$$ for not much. I Always liked Airraid MIT (just the intermediate tube) with a nice drop in filter using the stock box.

TB: No need until you start making lots of power. Stock one will probably support 5-600hp

Headers: The "bolt on" stuff isn't really all that great and gains aren't worth it. If you really want to go down that rabbit hole: Kook's Long Tubes.

Comment

Some nice ceramic coated headers from headman headers would be good then you could put a full exhaust on it at once. That will run you a few bucks I'd guess. Cold air and TB is pretty cheap if you want to do the small stuff first

Comment

As far as exhaust, I don't want anything that's going to be obnoxiously loud. I was thinking Magnaflow. Later down the line, I may put on some LTs. From the research I have done, most seem to shy away from the short tubes. is that an accurate assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          As far as exhaust, I don't want anything that's going to be obnoxiously loud. I was thinking Magnaflow. Later down the line, I may put on some LTs. From the research I have done, most seem to shy away from the short tubes. is that an accurate assessment?
          Yes, I wouldn't run shorties on a stockish 6.2

Anything with Long Tubes with be Loud. I daily drove a 6.2 with Kooks LTs, No Cats, and a 3.5" Magnaflow. It wasn't bad.

Comment

Stick to the basics. Good flow-through style muffler like a mangaflow or similar. Cut out original and weld in new one. No need to buy a whole cat-back system, your factory exhaust piping (manifolds/headers included) is sufficient as long as you're not using power adders (supercharger,turbo, etc.) Air intake filter/kit will help, AirRaid makes a good unit, and get a tune. The diablosport intune unit is great, custom tunes by diablew are available for $150 on top of cost of tuner and are worth every penny. Tune will give you the biggest gains hands down. [URL][http://www.diablewtune.com/URL] You can always add headers down the road for more sound and you can retune for a small fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i love the sound of gibson exhaust on my truck. not too loud, but a good solid sound.
              for air intake i got the k&n cone style filter that slip fit right onto the maf sensor, and made a simple shield/bracket to hold the intake in place. about the same price as a drop in square filter. then add in a black bear tune.

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                Stick to the basics. Good flow-through style muffler like a mangaflow or similar. Cut out original and weld in new one. No need to buy a whole cat-back system, your factory exhaust piping (manifolds/headers included) is sufficient as long as you're not using power adders (supercharger,turbo, etc.) Air intake filter/kit will help, AirRaid makes a good unit, and get a tune. The diablosport intune unit is great, custom tunes by diablew are available for $150 on top of cost of tuner and are worth every penny. Tune will give you the biggest gains hands down. [URL][http://www.diablewtune.com/URL] You can always add headers down the road for more sound and you can retune for a small fee.

Good Stuff with one exception... I'd say go Blackbear Tunes or find a good local tuner.

Comment

I ran shorties because they bolt up with stock exhaust. Then cut out the cat's, and put flowmasters on. Sounded awesome, not too loud at all.

The hardest thing was connecting the EGR. But if you are paying someone to do it, its their problem.

Also, is it a 4wd? Are you going offroad? If so, a slight level (Not 3 in front 2 in back, that's a lift) will get you over a lot of rocks that stock ride height would hit.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm literally taking notes lol

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                      i love the sound of gibson exhaust on my truck. not too loud, but a good solid sound.
                      for air intake i got the k&n cone style filter that slip fit right onto the maf sensor, and made a simple shield/bracket to hold the intake in place. about the same price as a drop in square filter. then add in a black bear tune.
                      I love Gibson myself but watch out as some of their systems are lllllllound. Had one on my 04 Silverado that sounded like open headers.

Comment

Spoke with the guy at Woodlands Performance. For my situation/preferences, he suggested Borla or Corsa because they don't "drone" like other brands, Magnaflow included. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                          Spoke with the guy at Woodlands Performance. For my situation/preferences, he suggested Borla or Corsa because they don't "drone" like other brands, Magnaflow included. Thoughts?
                          He's probably correct but Magnflow doesn't really either. Borla or Corsa are just generally the most expensive .

Drone can also have quite a bit to do with the amount of tubing and end exit placement after the muffler.

Comment

what do you want out of the truck? Low end giddy up? Highway screamer? MPG?

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                              He's probably correct but Magnflow doesn't really either. Borla or Corsa are just generally the most expensive .

Drone can also have quite a bit to do with the amount of tubing and end exit placement after the muffler.

Agreed. I have ran magnaflow on 3 different trucks and I don't mind the drone, don't think there is much in my opinion but everybody likes a different sound

Comment

Working...
                              X