• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
    What's the dimensions on that? I don't see any
    12.2” square

Comment

I've shown my stilted beds a few times before. These are fun to build and once they're built and filled, the work's pretty much done. Super easy to keep weeds out, easy to fertilize, easy to harvest from. Will be getting mine ready to go pretty soon.

They're just pallets with 2X4 legs and old cedar picket walls. Landscaping cloth keeps the soil in. Lots of composted hummus in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazman View Post
        I've shown my stilted beds a few times before. These are fun to build and once they're built and filled, the work's pretty much done. Super easy to keep weeds out, easy to fertilize, easy to harvest from. Will be getting mine ready to go pretty soon.

They're just pallets with 2X4 legs and old cedar picket walls. Landscaping cloth keeps the soil in. Lots of composted hummus in there.

You got a link to them? I've built mine out of pallets, but I didn't add legs. I wanted to just to keep the critters out and worry less about weeds (although I did put landscape fabric down before putting soil in it to help with the weeds). I figured I'd test the water and see if the deer would bother my beds since I put them so close to the house. But, my biggest concern was my lacy, and she already demolished the bed the first day it was down, so I'm thinking elevating it would be my best bet besides electric wire.

Comment

I don't really have a build-along link, no. But I'm no carpenter. I just screwed the pallets to the 2x4s, attached the walls all around the sides, lined the inside with the matting, and went to filling. I've built these twice, and did it slightly different each time. I made them deeper the second time, as the soil will compact some.

Comment

All this rain is going to make me have to re-think the raised beds. I can't even till mine up because its so wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
              You got a link to them? I've built mine out of pallets, but I didn't add legs. I wanted to just to keep the critters out and worry less about weeds (although I did put landscape fabric down before putting soil in it to help with the weeds). I figured I'd test the water and see if the deer would bother my beds since I put them so close to the house. But, my biggest concern was my lacy, and she already demolished the bed the first day it was down, so I'm thinking elevating it would be my best bet besides electric wire.
              I didn't even think to speak to this earlier, but the first time I build these was when we had two labs. They NEVER messed with the stilted beds ever - in fact, it was their favorite places to lay underneath in the summer. It would stay much cooler under the beds, especially when I watered, so it gave them an open-air dog house to chill under.

Comment

Yea that's the main reason I wanted mine elevated. I pulled out my old e-collar last night to train her to stay out of the beds, but my transmitter crapped out so I'll have to send it in and get it repaired. So now it'll be even longer before I can plant anything because my dog keeps tearing up my beds

Comment

Anyone ever use alpaca poo for composting jnto soil? They are abundant up here and I started reading up on it. Compares a lot to cow.

Comment

I'm getting ready to til up my garden, which is pretty much grown with clover that's getting kind thick and tall. Should I kill it first or can I just til it in? If I need to kill it what should I use

Banded Drake Custom Calls

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                      I'm getting ready to til up my garden, which is pretty much grown with clover that's getting kind thick and tall. Should I kill it first or can I just til it in? If I need to kill it what should I use

Banded Drake Custom Calls
                      Clover adds nitrogen. Till it in!

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted my potatoes today . Trying them in containers.

Comment

I dont see an end in sight to this rain. Im ready to plant but ground is way too wet. I did get my fence built though, so if all else fails i can get a goat! Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I put tomatoes, bells, jalapeños, corn, carrots and strawberries in the ground two weeks ago. Looks like I may have planted just in time again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                                I put tomatoes, bells, jalapeños, corn, carrots and strawberries in the ground two weeks ago. Looks like I may have planted just in time again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! I’m not that brave!
                                I’m shooting for March 6th to put everything in the ground.
                                Last edited by scotty; 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X