No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in rusk county between Henderson and Kilgore. Saw a 6pt and a 4pt this morning. I’m back out waiting on something a little bigger. 30 mins ago I had a group of 10-15 pigs skirt me about 20 yds out. Fingers crossed for big daddy. I’m in a historically bloody spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Watched a young 4 point this last half hour, and a bob cat stalked in. Got in the high grass before I decided to shoot or not. Glad I held off, there's plenty of light left.

Comment

Made my first sit of the year this morning... no deer... shot a small pig about 80 pounds... gonna put it on the pit after it ages a few days... Did a little scouting around and the scrape line I've been watching is getting pretty serious. Got cameras on it now... I have some history with a big 10 in the area... sure hope it's him. If so, I've got a creek crossing he's using regular identified... Good for a south OR north wind...

Shane NICE DEER! Congratulations sir!

Comment

Ain't no deer in east Texas.

Comment

I’d say my evening sit was successful. I had 2 big mature does, 3 fawns, and a 4pt. Hang out from 10-30yards. The mommas and babies were there for about 30 min eating acorns and hitting a little hand corn. I’m watching them and they all turn and look. I start hearing steps from behind me. My heart starts beating I’m knowing it’s my target deer. Nope just a 4pt. The 4pt starts chasing to does and he runs them all off. The. He eats hand corn for 30 minutes and just hangs outs.

Comment

Here's the doe I hit a few weeks back (the one that ducked the arrow). Wound looks good in person and appears to be healing well. I'm glad to know she made it.

Was today slow for y'all? I didn't see much this morning. Saw a spike chasing a doe this evening. I drew back on a smaller bobcat but couldn't get a good shot due to limbs. Then he walked right under me. I stayed until about 8:15 hoping the hogs would show up.

Comment

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

Here's the doe I hit a few weeks back (the one that ducked the arrow). Wound looks good in person and appears to be healing well. I'm glad to know she made it.

Was today slow for y'all? I didn't see much this morning. Saw a spike chasing a doe this evening. I drew back on a smaller bobcat but couldn't get a good shot due to limbs. Then he walked right under me. I stayed until about 8:15 hoping the hogs would show up.

It’s amazing how tough they are. Maybe you’ll get another shot at her.

It was slow for us. We were skunked the morning hunt. But, I did see a few in the evening.

Comment

I’ve seen 7 does this morning but after the buck my dad shot yesterday, and seeing my target buck walking out in front if ths stand Friday afternoon, I just can’t bring myself to do it yet.

Comment

No movement around me this morning. I haven’t even heard a shot in the distance. Game warden stopped by last night and said it’s been a slow seasons n around our area. Polk county near 350 and Old berring rd.

Comment

I spooked a doe coming in late and I've seen about 12 pigs but too far away. At least it's not as humid as yesterday!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey guys. I'm late to the party but I'm in again this year. Hunting 950ish acres west of grapeland. I'm glad for y'all who made it through Harvey ok and it's a **** shame for those of y'all who didn't.

My place in Houston was fine but I'm a firefighter and build/ remodel houses on the side so things have been pretty hectic.

Having a pretty good season so far regardless. I've shot a couple pigs and seen some deer. Don't have any deer yet but got my target picked out. Deer are still hitting corn some and I've had decent success rattling. Any other tactics working well for you guys? 4 years in I'm still making the adjustment from South Texas brush country to east Texas woods. It is tough hunting some times. Like y'all say there just aren't any deer in east Texas.

Comment

This is the one I'm calling my target for now. He's hit hand corn and a feeder pen a couple times.

I guess there might be a few deer in East Texas after all.
                          Attached Files

Comment

^^^Buddy of mine has about 300 acres somewhere outside Grapeland and shot 180” 16-point last Sunday (low fence, btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              ^^^Buddy of mine has about 300 acres somewhere outside Grapeland and shot 180” 16-point last Sunday (low fence, btw).
                              16pt 180?! Sweet mother of Vince Young that is insane. Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveTX View Post
                                16pt 180?! Sweet mother of Vince Young that is insane. Got any pics?
                                Yes but not permission to post them.

Comment

Working...
                                X