Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever
Default Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Anytime my weight or fitness gets out of hand, I always start my path to better health by simply walking. I started the year off, 50# over my ideal weight. 2 things needed to change... eating habits and activity.

I would be lying if I said this was the first time I have walked off a significant amount of body fat. And on previous occasions, after having done it successfully, I wished that I had started walking around with the weight I had lost... on my back.

Although I didn't do it at the beginning, this time I tried it. With some inspiration from some of 1369's threads on rucking events, and after bouncing some ideas off of him, I bought a small ruck and gradually worked myself back up in "curb weight."

While I still walk around most of the time without a ruck, or a lightly loaded 20# ruck... I now am up to regular 5 to 8 mile ruck walks at 35-40#

There are a couple reasons I chose rucking as my base fitness workout:

1) I like to walk and hike already
2) after a traumatic knee injury that required 2 surgeries, running isn't an reasonable option
3) like running, you can ruck anywhere
4) it fits in my goals for going on an elk hunt next year.
5) I was never in the military, but am a military brat, and there are some basic fundamentals that stand the test of time... carrying heavy **** long distances toughens you up.

Curious how many other TBHers train frequently with weighted packs, or participate in ruck march events?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

I ran 2 miles last night and then did 2.5 more with 50#. I ran about half of that 2.5 miles. I know it's bad for my knees lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
I ran 2 miles last night and then did 2.5 more with 50#. I ran about half of that 2.5 miles. I know it's bad for my knees lol

Yeah, weighted runs are definitely out. Might be okay on sand, but I already primarily stick to pavement.

My plan from a fitness-lifestyle standpoint is to get to where a 35# ruck is what I can shoulder for a whole day of walking (25+ flat miles.) I can pretty much do that now with 20#.

Before I got into everyday-style rucking, I bought a freighter pack for my future Western hunts. I will use that for over 40#. I will probably start introducing a couple 2 mile 50# walks with that next month and work up to 70#, 1-2 hour walks by sometime next spring.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Yeah, weighted runs are definitely out. Might be okay on sand, but I already primarily stick to pavement.

My plan from a fitness-lifestyle standpoint is to get to where a 35# ruck is what I can shoulder for a whole day of walking (25+ flat miles.) I can pretty much do that now with 20#.

Before I got into everyday-style rucking, I bought a freighter pack for my future Western hunts. I will use that for over 40#. I will probably start introducing a couple 2 mile 50# walks with that next month and work up to 70#, 1-2 hour walks by sometime next spring.

Train to hunt last year we did a 100# meat pack for 2 miles. That was fun

Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Pic of my pack and the 25# sand bag I use to weigh it down.

5.11 Rush 12

Old 07-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
currie
Nubbin' Buck

Looking for some hunters in the fair oaks/boerne area who wanna train or ruck before season starts. Let me know
currie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Quanah11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I do pretty often lol it is forced upon me with a star spangled banner hymn that mysteriously sounds through the early morning right before the order is given haha
Seriously tho I ruck a lot it's great for you and it is a really good total body workout.
Quanah11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Hey Swamp, that the same ruck you used on the epic fly fishing ruck march you did? I'd love to be able to do that, but these old knees wouldn't let me do that I'm afraid... Too many years of football, etc. and too many scopes, especially on the right one... Doc told me to be careful with that one... ain't much left to "scope out"...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Hey Swamp, that the same ruck you used on the epic fly fishing ruck march you did? I'd love to be able to do that, but these old knees wouldn't let me do that I'm afraid... Too many years of football, etc. and too many scopes, especially on the right one... Doc told me to be careful with that one... ain't much left to "scope out"...
Yep, the same one!

When I was in my early 20s and 260# I dislocated my knee when I was dollying a freezer. I collapsed under its weight and my knee dislocated and violently relocated on the way down... shearing off a quarter sized chunk of bone off the load bearing face of my femur. Tore ligaments too. But cartilage on the bone surface doesn't regrow. Long story short walking is fine (1x your body weight in force) running is out (5-10x weight in force)

Thankfully my knees rarely complain these days (my hip flexors is another story!) I figure it is because I know now to ramp slowly... and the scale shows that I am still 15# lighter than last year, even with 35# on my back

Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I use a 20# vest I jog/walk with once a week, has helped shred a lot of weight and help progress my training, helps the feet feel light and get the lower body/core in prestige shape, walking to my stand this season which consists of a 1.2 mile trek will be a breeze

ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
BowBuddy
Ten Point

I use kettlebells, dumb bells, barbell and calisthenics. I do TABATA training. I went from a size 40 to a large 34 since late February. I do work outs from youtube. Ive lost 20-25 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
BowBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
BowBuddy
Ten Point

The first pic is me late february i weighed 245, and im 220 today

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
BowBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Wife made me this shirt.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wife made me this shirt.

Should have made extras...I want one
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #15
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I had been doing a bit of research looking for a padded hip belt for this bag. At 35-40# it does start to sway a tad and you can't rest your shoulders periodically from the weight. My freighter external frame pack as a nice padded belt that would have been perfect... and I've also seen some folks use the Condor battle belt as an option too. I finally just found some USA company on Amazon that makes a 1.5" webbing belt that can be laced through the attachments on the RUSH. Only cost $11. It came in yesterday and this morning I gave it a go with 38# and a 7 mile ruck march.

Because the Rush 12 is a small pack, the belt actually rides about 1-2" above my hip. The thing is though, even that high, it really helped increase the stability of the pack. When I wanted to unload my shoulders, the pack would sit and ride right on my hip and not move, giving me a couple minutes to stretch out my upper back before tightening everything back down.

There was another added benefit. My biggest complaint about the Rush bag was that it was kind of a pain to tighten the shoulder straps while under load. They didn't seem run through the tensioner very smoothly... unless I hunched forward and took the weight off a bit. Turns out, with the hip/waist belt in use, I don't have that problem at all.

Looking at my calendar and trying to find the time to get in a 10-12 miler with the 35+ weight in the near future.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

3.8 miles into a 10+ mile ruck march this morning. Got the ruck at 38# before water. This will cap a 4 day stretch where I put in 6.6 miles a day the last 3 days.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #17
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Finished at 10.4 miles. Pace was 3.4mph. Need to work on upping that.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Interesting. Does hiking with 15 lbs of photography equipment count?
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

My buddies and I have started incorporating rucks into our workouts as we are wanting to get into more western hunting.

Weve been doing 2-6 mile rucks with a 50# san**** and also incorporating HIIT and shooting our bows as well.

Will be pulling a trigger on an Exo Pack here soon enough

Enjoy following your threads, might be making me finally pull the trigger on a fly fishing set up.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
My buddies and I have started incorporating rucks into our workouts as we are wanting to get into more western hunting.

Weve been doing 2-6 mile rucks with a 50# san**** and also incorporating HIIT and shooting our bows as well.

Will be pulling a trigger on an Exo Pack here soon enough

Enjoy following your threads, might be making me finally pull the trigger on a fly fishing set up.
Now that I have the 10 miler at 38# down using the daypack ruck, I am going to add a 50# external frame pack ruck in the mix. I bought a cabellas freighter type pack for just hauling heavy stuff... like elk

on getting a fly fishing setup.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

We're looking at moving into a house on a green belt up north of us and after reading your thread about the fishing/rucking adventure and finally finding my container of rucks in the shed I think I'm going to follow your lead and start rucking to get into a little better shape.

Following.

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #22
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
We're looking at moving into a house on a green belt up north of us and after reading your thread about the fishing/rucking adventure and finally finding my container of rucks in the shed I think I'm going to follow your lead and start rucking to get into a little better shape.

Following.

Richard.
I am jealous of the hills you have at your disposal there. Flat as a pancake here. I have definately noticed a difference in fitness between rucking and just plain walking. I think you would enjoy it... especially if you view it as a skill required to go on an epic hunt.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 08-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Great job Scott!!
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #24
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Great job Scott!!
Thanks bud!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Knocked out another 10 miler this morning with 35 base weight.

Now off to the waterpark... for some more walking and stairs

Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Worked on pace on the last half of my morning ruck. Finished strong with 45 minutes at a 15:00 pace. The first 1:15 was at my normal 17:30 - 18:00 pace. Felt good and turned in my fastest 2 hour ruck.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #27
Raleigh
Ten Point

Wow,
Just started rucking this week. Made four 6 mile trips with 25lbs in my backpack. 4 2 liter plastic cola bottles filled with water and a few other thing got me to 25lb. Same as you SwampRabbit, 2 knee surgeries have killed my marathon days but I love to walk.

Been walking all summer but when I put that pack on Monday afternoon I started feeling soreness (a good thing) in different areas. I am going up in weight this weekend and hopefully get to 40lbs before my elk hunt. For a semi in shape guy lugging 25lbs on your back for 6 miles will take the air out of your sail.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
Wow,
Just started rucking this week. Made four 6 mile trips with 25lbs in my backpack. 4 2 liter plastic cola bottles filled with water and a few other thing got me to 25lb. Same as you SwampRabbit, 2 knee surgeries have killed my marathon days but I love to walk.

Been walking all summer but when I put that pack on Monday afternoon I started feeling soreness (a good thing) in different areas. I am going up in weight this weekend and hopefully get to 40lbs before my elk hunt. For a semi in shape guy lugging 25lbs on your back for 6 miles will take the air out of your sail.
It is definately a different animal. A pack mule vs a race horse. I will forewarn that 40# is a pretty big jump from 25#. I adapted to 25# pretty quick too. I jumped to 35+ by walking a mile or two with it to get used to the load and it sits. You use different support muscles, especially in the hips as you go up. I now train with just the 35+ and when I day hike with actual gear, I feel like tye pack isn't even there.

I put on a 58# pack the other day and couldnt hold a steady pace above 3mph for even a quarter mile. The logistics of even getting the pack on was hard to work through.

What pack are you using?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #29
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default Rucking works

I am down right at 30 lbs since June 7th. Walking 4 miles with my pack about 4-5 days a week. Life happens and some nights I can't get it in. It takes about an hour & 20 minutes, which averages out to be right at 3 miles an hour. Getting ready for Colorado Sept 15th. I highly recommend it over running if you are over 55. Less abuse on the older knees, ligaments and such.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #30
Raleigh
Ten Point

Quote:
It is definately a different animal. A pack mule vs a race horse. I will forewarn that 40# is a pretty big jump from 25#. I adapted to 25# pretty quick too. I jumped to 35+ by walking a mile or two with it to get used to the load and it sits. You use different support muscles, especially in the hips as you go up. I now train with just the 35+ and when I day hike with actual gear, I feel like tye pack isn't even there.

I put on a 58# pack the other day and couldnt hold a steady pace above 3mph for even a quarter mile. The logistics of even getting the pack on was hard to work through.

What pack are you using?

Yea 40lbs might be a little aggressive but I will see what I can do. I have a Crooked Horned Outfitters backpack. There is no internal frame but it has a good lumber system. Never realized how loose I wear my straps until I put some serious weight in the bag. My frame pack is a Cabelas Outfitter frame pack. I had that pack for almost 20 years.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #31
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
Yea 40lbs might be a little aggressive but I will see what I can do. I have a Crooked Horned Outfitters backpack. There is no internal frame but it has a good lumber system. Never realized how loose I wear my straps until I put some serious weight in the bag. My frame pack is a Cabelas Outfitter frame pack. I had that pack for almost 20 years.
Just don't expect that you'll be able to just knock out a 6 miler with your 40# like you did with you 25#. I can't really describe it... but I noticed the weight at first in a lot of various areas that eventually built up the strength and endurance that I can't really remember. I recall feeling it in my feet more, etc. Now, slinging 40# up is no big deal and walking 10+ miles is not a huge deal... but when I went to that 55+, all those same weaknesses were felt again. I would not expect to whip out 6 miles right now with a 55+ pack. I have to ease into it... and will take it a few miles at a time until my body adjusts. And just like I know I need to use my Cabelas Outfitter frame pack (picked one up this spring) for above 50... I am thinking running shoes might not be the right idea either and I probably should do the smart thing and use a more rigid boot.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #32
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Default Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Congrats everyone on the results and determination, I necessarily didn't ruck but I walked/ran/jogged with a 20 pound vest during the spring and summer and with this humidity and heat I shed pounds quick

Old 08-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #33
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Under amour makes a wicked running/trail/hike shoe, I've had the same pair for a year and still have another year of heavy duty training them, pricey but certainly worth it and extremely comfortable

Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #34
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

I've been meaning to post this. I did a little over 3 miles Friday at mineral wells state park. I did the first 1.5 miles with a 50# bag of gravel and then added two pretty big rocks that put me at 75-80#. I finished the hike with that. There is a lot of elevation and rocks to step over and stuff at mineral wells. So It was def a good Ruck

Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #35
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

So you do this daily? Do you have a diet with it? How do you find time to go for two hours if it's daily? Interested in this to lose weight and get back in shape.
Wonder if you do it 30-45 minutes every morning will work?
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #36
mobrien
Four Point

Hunt In: London, TX area

Nice, I haven't done it regularly, but I have started adding more weight when I go for hikes over the past few weeks, adding a 15 pound san**** to my pack on top of the normal things, so it's about a 30 pound load and I do between 2-4 miles when I go.

Any recommendations on a good quality and affordable pack for this stuff? I've seen the Alps Commander (about $130) but most other bags seem to be over $300.
mobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #37
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

I've been meaning to post this. I did a little over 3 miles Friday at mineral wells state park. I did the first 1.5 miles with a 50# bag of gravel and then added two pretty big rocks that put me at 75-80#. I finished the hike with that. There is a lot of elevation and rocks to step over and stuff at mineral wells. So It was def a good Ruck

Good job! What boots you wearing? I plan to hit Home Depot today for 50# bag of sand to get me started on the heavy rucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTRanch View Post
So you do this daily? Do you have a diet with it? How do you find time to go for two hours if it's daily? Interested in this to lose weight and get back in shape.
Wonder if you do it 30-45 minutes every morning will work?
I definately walk daily. Since I have an office job, lunch and breaks are when I do physical work. Between lunch and a couple 10-15 minute breaks, I can put nearly 4 miles a day right there. I dont carry weight for those.

Rucking is an morning or an evening thing. I get up an hour earlier and get an hour in. During the summer I have been spoiled because the kids dont need to get ready for school, so I had even more time.

I walk after dinner, etc. I walk with my wife and/or kids too, if they want to. The miles seem to come. I will even walk around the house. If I owned. Treadmill, I would probably walk even more

It seems I rucking 25 miles average a week. Will just have to break up my 2 hour morning rucks into 1 hour morning, 1 hour evening.

As far as diet goes, I just eat less to lose weight. Going to bed a tad hungry over the span of a few months paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrien View Post
Nice, I haven't done it regularly, but I have started adding more weight when I go for hikes over the past few weeks, adding a 15 pound san**** to my pack on top of the normal things, so it's about a 30 pound load and I do between 2-4 miles when I go.

Any recommendations on a good quality and affordable pack for this stuff? I've seen the Alps Commander (about $130) but most other bags seem to be over $300.
The 5.11 Rush 12 I picked up new was $88 shipped. It has held up carrying 40# regularly. I like it as an everyday bag. I am also looking into the new gen ALICE packs for regular heavy rucking, but for now, will use a cabelas outfitter frame pack for the heavy stuff.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #38
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good job! What boots you wearing? I plan to hit Home Depot today for 50# bag of sand to get me started on the heavy rucks.

I definately walk daily. Since I have an office job, lunch and breaks are when I do physical work. Between lunch and a couple 10-15 minute breaks, I can put nearly 4 miles a day right there. I dont carry weight for those.

Rucking is an morning or an evening thing. I get up an hour earlier and get an hour in. During the summer I have been spoiled because the kids dont need to get ready for school, so I had even more time.

I walk after dinner, etc. I walk with my wife and/or kids too, if they want to. The miles seem to come. I will even walk around the house. If I owned. Treadmill, I would probably walk even more

It seems I rucking 25 miles average a week. Will just have to break up my 2 hour morning rucks into 1 hour morning, 1 hour evening.

As far as diet goes, I just eat less to lose weight. Going to bed a tad hungry over the span of a few months paid off.

The 5.11 Rush 12 I picked up new was $88 shipped. It has held up carrying 40# regularly. I like it as an everyday bag. I am also looking into the new gen ALICE packs for regular heavy rucking, but for now, will use a cabelas outfitter frame pack for the heavy stuff.

I'm running lowa renegades. I have used lowa tibets the past 3-4 years. I have only had the renegades for 3-4 months and I can tell I like them a lot better. They are lighter and not as stiff.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #39
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

Quote:

Great info!!! Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #40
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Was at Academy today and they had the Rush 12 I use on sale for $87. Usually $99. I want one for just hunting, but I want it in multicam... just can't see spending $40 more for that though. Camo usually costs more, but still scratching my head why multicam is 40% more.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #41
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

One last ruck this morning for what might be a while....

Outer band is just 15 miles south.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #42
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Added it all up and was able to get in 24 miles of rucking with the #35+ this week (M-F). The next 5-7 days will be a bust for sure. I think I might have to break out the bicycle and throw it on the indoor trainer and do some cross training this week.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I realized I haven't updated this thread in a while. With Harvey, work, etc I have been kinda busy. But, I have still been able to get my ruck marches in. I've just had to squeeze them in during openings in my work schedule. I pretty much was able to get in at least 20 miles of rucking a week.

This week has been excellent. I have heavy rucked 40 miles already in the last 4 days thanks to waking up early, walking kiddo to school in this cooler weather, and a long scout meeting near an outdoor track.

This week I finally got around to putting together a heavier ruck. I had been rucking 40# with the 5.11 Rush 12, but I didn't really want to push the weight too much heavier than that only because in doing so, I would be adding weight down my back rather than up my back. I think the bag can totally take it... but I also wanted to start using my Cabelas External Frame freighter pack. My goal is to get to 70#.

I had played with a few ideas... a 5 or 6 gallon water tote... sand in a tote, etc. All seemed too awkward. I did have a super large sized duffel that was just too bulky... but finally decided to make it work. I stuffed it with old clothes and then added some bricks towards the top. I lashed it in and was able to get it to about 52# to start off with. Carrying this weight seemed almost too easy because the frame is much better and getting the weight to the padded hip belt. The first day with it, I went 6.5 miles total and didn't really phase me too much other than having to tinker with strap tightness, etc.

So after 4 days this week, I've rucked 40 miles... 30 with the 40# pack and 10 with the 52# pack.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #44
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Funny how there is only a 10# difference between the two.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #45
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

Nice setup, bet that wears different from the 5.11.

The Bataan crew is starting to wake up around here, so with the (hopefully) cooler weather we'll be getting out more often.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #46
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
Nice setup, bet that wears different from the 5.11.

The Bataan crew is starting to wake up around here, so with the (hopefully) cooler weather we'll be getting out more often.
Yes it does. It is nice with the padded belt, load straps, sway straps, etc... which is overkill for a small dense load, but necessary when you add bulk and not just weight.

Look forward to y'alls training.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #47
Fishxbones
Four Point

Hunt In: SoTex

If you have a baby or toddler,I use this with my daughter all the time. We hike,fish,shop,walk around the neighborhood. It has a slot for hydration bladder and other pockets for gear. Usually I strap a couple fly rods,net,fly box,water,snacks,extra clothes and with her I'm around 40lbs. Its made by deuter and has padded hip straps and is very comfortable. Helps with training for carrying heavy packs and you can take your kid pretty much anywhere you want to go.
Fishxbones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #48
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishxbones View Post

If you have a baby or toddler,I use this with my daughter all the time. We hike,fish,shop,walk around the neighborhood. It has a slot for hydration bladder and other pockets for gear. Usually I strap a couple fly rods,net,fly box,water,snacks,extra clothes and with her I'm around 40lbs. Its made by deuter and has padded hip straps and is very comfortable. Helps with training for carrying heavy packs and you can take your kid pretty much anywhere you want to go.
Or even when they are older...

Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #49
Fishxbones
Four Point

Hunt In: SoTex

Haha,hope my wife never sees that or I'd end up having to ruck her around.
Fishxbones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

FYI, registration for Bataan 2018 opens on 1 October.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top