Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
    Thats what I would do.

You mention a disc, but what other equipment do you have? 3pt spreader? Roller?
    Most everything we have is 3 pt. We have a small disc, root rake, blade, tiller, and a single plow. I had actually forgotten about all the implements my Step Dad had at his place cause it has been so long since we last had a place we could use them.

Only seed spreaders I have are the little lawn push around one and the Solo I bought last week to broadcast the clover with.

Would like to have a cultipacker or something similar cause I think that would be a cool piece of equipment after seeing Unclefish's results with his. There was one on Craigslist the other day but they wanted over $2k for it and not ready to throw down that kind of cash for something I may or may not use very often.

Comment

You soil looks very sandy from your pic.....I think a spray, throw, and mow would work well for your field. I would up the seeding rate for everything but those small seeded plants just need to be broadcast on top and let the rain do the rest.

I didn't even use my cultipacker this fall and got great results...but I have alot of thatch which helps.

I'm with Palmetto...plant everything in a mix and see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        You soil looks very sandy from your pic.....I think a spray, throw, and mow would work well for your field. I would up the seeding rate for everything but those small seeded plants just need to be broadcast on top and let the rain do the rest.

I didn't even use my cultipacker this fall and got great results...but I have alot of thatch which helps.

I'm with Palmetto...plant everything in a mix and see how it turns out.
        Thanks for the input. I'd like to get your opinion on what I have bought and if you think it is enough.

My area is about an acre. Currently I have the following:

5 lb Rackmaster Durana Clover
        3 lb Tecatome Chicory
        5 lb Siberian Kale (should be here tomorrow)
        100 lbs Elbon Rye (if it comes this week at the feed store)

I know the clover and chicory are supposed to do an acre, but I am guessing probably not quite. I assume the kale will be in the same boat. For the Rye the guy at the feed store said 80 lbs per acre or 70% of that if in a mix. Im not worried about the overage cause I have other places on the rnach I can plant the excess rye if need be.

Do I have enough or do I need to pick up some more? I havent planted really before and no nothing on seeding rates.

Comment

You have plenty! Especially for a mix. The kale may take over everything if the deer don't find it at first. Once it is eaten then the rye will take off.

I planted that mix (plus 50lbs of oats) but it was over 2 acres. You should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            You have plenty! Especially for a mix. The kale may take over everything if the deer don't find it at first. Once it is eaten then the rye will take off.

I planted that mix (plus 50lbs of oats) but it was over 2 acres. You should be good to go.
            Thanks! I was worried about that on the Kale cause it is so leafy. Should I back it down to 3 lbs maybe to keep it from overpowering? Or just let it be and if the deer arent eating it go back and mow over to let the rye take over?

Comment

Either one would work. I would probably plant the whole thing since we are getting late in the season for good growth.

Comment

You could always just plant the kale around the perimeter. That's what I did with my turnips last year. I made one pass around the perimeter with my bag speeder.

It's a learning process. That's what keeps us coming back each year! next year u can start earlier, & you will have it all figured out....lol.

Comment

what kind of Fertilizer do ya'll use or recommend on a Oats food plot? seed was planted about a month ago and its already coming up I just want to give it that push to maximize growth going into the season. i have 3, 1 acre plots in north red river county.

Comment

Depends on what kind of soil you have. Call your county extension agent and see if they have any recomendations.

I have good success with 300#/acre of 13-13-13 on my plots on the coast.

Comment

Watch the weather and add the 13-13-13 just before a rain. Or u might burn some of the plants.

Comment

Well, made a little progress today. I got the Chicory, Kale, and Clover planted today. Hopefully we will get some rain in the next couple weeks and get this kicked off. Still no luck getting the rye. I think at this point i will hold off on it till next year and see what this other is gonna do.

Comment

Got my soil results in from Texas A&M today. Looks pretty good.....I think. PH - 7.1 is definitely a good start. And it looks like with a mix with clover I dont have to add much to the soil. I guess Rye grass and cereal Rye take the same things unless they didnt realize Elbon Rye isnt Rye Grass. Oh well. I didnt plant the Rye this year so we will see how it goes.

Will post pics of the reports in a bit. Wont load from my phone for some reason.

Comment

Sounds good, I need to quit talking about it and send a sample in.

Comment

Here are the reports. I don't know much about reading these sample reports, but it looks decent to me. I'm just excited I don't have to spread lime.

Let me know what yall think.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good. I'd just throw some 13-13-13 on it and let it ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X