CNC Router Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNC Router Build

I'm finally getting around to starting a 4'x4' cnc router build. I purchased the majority of the parts at the end of last year. We've been moving our shop over the past few days and I figured during the move would be a good time to get it started. I'll be winging it some as I go. The router itself is pretty straight forward, but I've considered options for the base. Since I had a couple of cabinets available, I've decided to use them. A base has been welded up with casters on the bottom. I'll modify it slightly, but you get the idea. I need to pick up some more supplies at lunch today to move on to the next step. The aluminum frame in the picture will actually be mounted 90degrees to what is currently shown. I'm not sure how long this build will take as I'll be doing it in the background of other things, but posting it here will keep me motivated to stay on it.

And so it begins.............

Oh, this will be cool. Subscribed.

Comment

My cousin anf I built one last year and now he can design and build his own computer chips pretty cool stuff

Comment

Comment

Made this one last year. Looks like you got some of your parts from cnc router parts like I did. If you need any tips let me know. There are a lot of things I would do differently now that I have mine built.
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. I wish you'd build one of those copy router doohickies where you can put a gun stock or a violin plate on one side of it and route out an exact duplicate on the other side of it. Then I'd drive to Houston to use it. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jebsvitals View Post
              Made this one last year. Looks like you got some of your parts from cnc router parts like I did. If you need any tips let me know. There are a lot of things I would do differently now that I have mine built.
              I got my parts form them too. I've been multitasking today and already noticed something in the pictured that I already did wrong. I mounted the racks on the front and back of the base and not the sides. I'll have to redo those. I'll definitely ask you questions if I run into trouble.

What size is your router? I can't tell from the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by River Racer View Post
                I got my parts form them too. I've been multitasking today and already noticed something in the pictured that I already did wrong. I mounted the racks on the front and back of the base and not the sides. I'll have to redo those. I'll definitely ask you questions if I run into trouble.

What size is your router? I can't tell from the picture.
                I just have a work area of 24" x 24". I wish I would have made a work area of 48" x 48" but I will make it bigger soon.

Comment

Subscribed.
                  What's the approximate cost if you don't mind me asking?
                  PM me if you wish.

Comment

Also a friend of mine who has one just ordered the parts to make his a 3D printer as well. The kit was only 150 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                      Interesting. I wish you'd build one of those copy router doohickies where you can put a gun stock or a violin plate on one side of it and route out an exact duplicate on the other side of it. Then I'd drive to Houston to use it. :-)
                      Sam...you just need to get me a 3d model file and I can machine either one. One of my projects will be a custom Ruger 10-22 stock.

Comment

Originally posted by NibletGillispie View Post
                        Subscribed.
                        What's the approximate cost if you don't mind me asking?
                        PM me if you wish.
                        I don't know what I'll end up having in it when completed, but it will probably be 5k. You can do it cheaper if you go smaller but mine is a 4'x4' which will be a good size.

Comment

Originally posted by River Racer View Post
                          Sam...you just need to get me a 3d model file and I can machine either one. One of my projects will be a custom Ruger 10-22 stock.
                          What program are you using to run it? Im using Mach3..

Comment

Ive got about 2k in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jebsvitals View Post
                              What program are you using to run it? Im using Mach3..
                              I use Rhinocam for all my programming and I'll use Mach3 as the controller software.

Comment

Working...
                              X