Public land public service announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
    Oh, and to boot they had those little clip on trail markers every 10 feet on trails big enough for a side by side. I was amazed that they couldn't follow a trail that was so beat down. With that being said, I didn't pull the thread off topic lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Hmmm, trail markers leading to their illegal set up. They didn't think that one through too far. That box blind is bold though.

Comment

The trail markers were 1.5 miles in, where they cross over into the public. I assume not too many people have stumbled upon it

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
        AMEN

I have thought of having a "TBH Cleanup" at the end of the season.

Put it together and let us know, definitely interested. Just another excuse to get out into the woods. I hate that stuff hanging everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
          We aren't all blessed with your navigational skills so I would second the comment about the risk of pulling someone's flags for safety concerns. I agree that they can be considered an eye sore but if it helps a new hunter or even a seasoned hunter with or without children to get out and do something we all enjoy then so be it as long as it's not a violation.

As far as the GPS or phone app with GPS, don't let that be your safety blanket. I dang near got lost in Big Thicket and I had a waypoint of where I parked the truck. It started to get dark and I headed back but the good ol GPS couldn't get a signal. I was only about 100 yards from the road but when every tree and water hole looks the same, you can go in circles if you don't watch out.

I think a compass should be in every person's toolbox if going out in unfamiliar territory.

I always carry a compass when in unfamiliar places, and sometimes in familiar country, from bad experiences in the past. Take a reading BEFORE you go in too and set your direction for the direction to follow out, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdoggintexas View Post
            I'm a surveyor, i use it every day and I also know that ALL of it used today is made of soy bean.
            no surveyors on public hunting areas, and I've been in a lot of them. Like others have said, we find tape that's been weathered over long periods of time, it is not 'soybean tape' ... lol! Whenever or where ever I see it in mass quantities, its coming down and either carry it out or bury it.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
              Woah!!! That’s very ballsy. Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                Put it together and let us know, definitely interested. Just another excuse to get out into the woods. I hate that stuff hanging everywhere.
                After the season is over. I will see if I can get the SHNF onboard. I have had a lot of fun on public land and this is a way to give back.

Comment

Anyone ever find any ponds in the forest?

Comment

While I agree the surveyors flagging is an eyesore it has its uses. I have used it to mark some blood spots in case I lose the trail so I can go back to my last spot. I pull it back up on my way out though so nobody will come across it. I only started hunting public land five years ago and it took me a while to find my way around so I started slowly going further and further until I learned the landmarks. Land surveying is my career so I have a good sense of direction but not everyone does so remember that when you’re pulling it down.

I take it down when I see it on my way in if no other vehicles are there but never on my way out just in case someone is back there. I also had a good contact I met here on the green screen that had been hunting public land for over twenty years meet me my first time out scouting. He spent hours showing me around the place in general so I could access different areas, of course these were spots well away from his hunting spots.

Side Note: I’m not absolutely sure if all surveyors flagging is this way but every kind, color and brand I have ever come across is biodegradable.

Comment

I'm not sure why someone felt it was needed on this trail, but they won't find it if/when they come back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                        I'm not sure why someone felt it was needed on this trail, but they won't find it if/when they come back out.

Lol

Comment

We picked up 4 bags of trash and crashed chair from a pack it in, pack it out camp. What do people not understand??

Comment

I used flagging tape this past weekend at the H to let everyone know where I was. Out there almost everyone wants to spread out. I used two pieces and took them home when I left.

Comment

Flag away so I know to stay away don't bother me at all when I'm out and see it I know someone is already hunting the area so mind my own business and move on

Comment

I used to be good enough to find my spot without tape or a light when I hunted LANWR as a young buck. First year of two I sinned and used tape but always took it down after my hunt was over. I graduated to a hand held GPS after a while (pre smart phone days)and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                                X