Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default Age? Deer named High Rise

Looked middle aged during mid summer but now starting to look a little older. This deer has never been seen by any hunters including me, only on my trailcam. Had a huge drop last year on his right side about 8 inches long.
Attached Images
 
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Next pic
Attached Images
 
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Pic
Attached Images
 
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
NDN98
Four Point
 
NDN98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default

Looks 4-5 years old to me. Good looking buck either way
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
texashunter56
Ten Point
 
texashunter56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond
Default

He has a lot of neck muscle in the top velvet pic. Lot of width in between the front shoulders in his brisket also. Head shape more of a mature buck also. He looks to have calloused knees and swollen knees in the last pics. In the last pic he is starting to show that squared up muscle down the front of his throat that you would seen in late summer with mature bucks. The first pic I thought 6 or older. Second pic more of a 5 yr old. Last pic more of a 6 yr old again.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
He has a lot of neck muscle in the top velvet pic. Lot of width in between the front shoulders in his brisket also. Head shape more of a mature buck also. He looks to have calloused knees and swollen knees in the last pics. In the last pic he is starting to show that squared up muscle down the front of his throat that you would seen in late summer with mature bucks. The first pic I thought 6 or older. Second pic more of a 5 yr old. Last pic more of a 6 yr old again.
Here's a another pic, taken mid July
Attached Images
 
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
kruppa24
Ten Point
 
kruppa24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gholson, tx
Hunt In: Concho
Default

6.5, name is fitting
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Bone Thug
Pope & Young
 
Bone Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Irion County
Default

Kinda off the subject but was his right side messed up last year as well. I'm always curious with deer like this. I couldn't make out any signs of an injury from those pics.
Bone Thug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point
 
Livin'2hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Hunt In: my birthday suit
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
He has a lot of neck muscle in the top velvet pic. Lot of width in between the front shoulders in his brisket also. Head shape more of a mature buck also. He looks to have calloused knees and swollen knees in the last pics. In the last pic he is starting to show that squared up muscle down the front of his throat that you would seen in late summer with mature bucks. The first pic I thought 6 or older. Second pic more of a 5 yr old. Last pic more of a 6 yr old again.
I made all the same assessments. The last pic shows a protruding brisket which also denotes older age (6+). Also, I have noticed when hunting S. TX and Mexico, as a deer gets past maturity, they're drop tines tended to diminish or go away entirely.
Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
RINCON
Ten Point
 
RINCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Default

6+....but the clown that will age/score him will probably say 4.5!
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
Kinda off the subject but was his right side messed up last year as well. I'm always curious with deer like this. I couldn't make out any signs of an injury from those pics.
His right side was weak last year as well, not sure why though
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
SV72
Eight Point
 
SV72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bulverde
Hunt In: Menard
Default

That buck has all kinds of personality. Love him. 6 plus years old. Good luck to you.
SV72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Christianhuff
Ten Point
 
Christianhuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Collin County
Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County
Default

At least 6, probably older.
Christianhuff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #14
BolilloLoco
Ten Point
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

No younger than 5.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
texashunter56
Ten Point
 
texashunter56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Here's a another pic, taken mid July
Whoa...he gets older looking every time you add a pic.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #16
texashunter56
Ten Point
 
texashunter56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
I made all the same assessments. The last pic shows a protruding brisket which also denotes older age (6+). Also, I have noticed when hunting S. TX and Mexico, as a deer gets past maturity, they're drop tines tended to diminish or go away entirely.
I have noticed the opposite on some places in South Texas with droptines...they seem to add them or more of them as they age. I have culled several bucks at post mature ages that never had a droptine when they were younger and added them the year they were killed. IME a lot of one year and done droptines are caused by injury at younger ages.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #17
texashunter56
Ten Point
 
texashunter56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
His right side was weak last year as well, not sure why though
Do you get a lot of bucks with one side weaker with the opposite side normal? Reason I ask is because on a ranch in La Salle County we had quite a few bucks that would have a lopsided or weak-sided rack on one side. The other side would be normal. That ranch also had a lot of bucks that one side would have a weak G2, good G3 and really good G4 then on the other side have a really good G2, good G3 and really weak G4. This was not on just one or two bucks but a lot of bucks. Seen it on a few bucks on other ranches but never to the amount on this one ranch.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

The first thing I noticed was the front knees, look really arthidic!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
160class
Ten Point
 
160class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Helotes/College Station, TX
Hunt In: Catarina, TX
Default

Looks mature, not really sure of the history but might need a whackin! That dagger could e dangerous and if he's throwing the same spike on that side each year he needs to go
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #20
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
6+....but the clown that will age/score him will probably say 4.5!
Dang you and Brett must of not got along to well. Seriously, he's always been spot on with tooth wear or within a year. We have a lot of teeth sent off to verify.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #21
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
Do you get a lot of bucks with one side weaker with the opposite side normal? Reason I ask is because on a ranch in La Salle County we had quite a few bucks that would have a lopsided or weak-sided rack on one side. The other side would be normal. That ranch also had a lot of bucks that one side would have a weak G2, good G3 and really good G4 then on the other side have a really good G2, good G3 and really weak G4. This was not on just one or two bucks but a lot of bucks. Seen it on a few bucks on other ranches but never to the amount on this one ranch.
Not much of a problem here with weaker sides on bucks.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #22
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County and Out West
Default

6 plus
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #23
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default

we had a buck similar to yours - he had the same type rack even when he was younger
Attached Images
 
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com