Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Irresponsible Development

Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I agree. Furthermore, by now they should understand pretty clear where it will flood and to what extent. Mandatory evacuation should be implemented well ahead of time. And if I lived in some of those areas my house would soon be for sale...

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

I think you will see a "soft moratorium" via lack of insurable areas in the future. If folks cannot get insurance on their homes and businesses, they will relocate. I have a feeling, many of these neighborhoods will be dozed and rebuilding there will be prohibited. The insurance lobby is a stout one.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I agree. Furthermore, by now they should understand pretty clear where it will flood and to what extent. Mandatory evacuation should be implemented well ahead of time. And if I lived in some of those areas my house would soon be for sale...

Turner dropped the ball on that. He says due to Houstons population its not an option. Well what was all the construction to widen 45 to N Waverly after Rita and the plastic barrier for contra flow for?

Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Turner dropped the ball on that. He says due to Houstons population its not an option. Well what was all the construction to widen 45 to N Waverly after Rita and the plastic barrier for contra flow for?

Exactly! Very valid point! Huge mistake

Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.

Quote:

Would you have to be told to evacuate if you lived in a possible flood area? SMH
psicoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicoo View Post
Would you have to be told to evacuate if you lived in a possible flood area?

No, but when a leader fails to address the seriousness of a situation he puts false hope into the masses.

Me and Im sure most of us on here dont look for the govt to take care of us. Unfortunately many in the urban sprawls do.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Doze them and turn them into parks.
This reminds my of the far west end of Galveston. No matter how many times nature wipes it clean people just keep rebuilding on it.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
J Sweet
Pope & Young

"This is just a rain event". Bs.

This is an overpopulation overdevelopment problem.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Doze them and turn them into parks.
This reminds my of the far west end of Galveston. No matter how many times nature wipes it clean people just keep rebuilding on it.

If you got the money go for it. If not.......

Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
J Sweet
Pope & Young

To me this is about developers sending water from their developments into already populated areas flooding out people. Look at Meyerland, I grew up there. Never flooded. Starting 2 yrs ago it has 3 times.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
LWC
Ten Point

Dang J Sweet. Maybe we should wait until things cool down a bit before we make broad govt mandates. Times of high emotion are generally not the best time to make rational decisions. Think gun control discussions after mass shootings.
I honestly thought your first post was in jest to get discussion going about government overreach.
I understand your frustration but think the government should stay out of the business of neighborhood developing.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.

Quote:
No, but when a leader fails to address the seriousness of a situation he puts false hope into the masses.

If the masses depend on one individual to make a decision of such "seriousness", they're as asinine as your statement.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
Dang J Sweet. Maybe we should wait until things cool down a bit before we make broad govt mandates. Times of high emotion are generally not the best time to make rational decisions. Think gun control discussions after mass shootings.
I honestly thought your first post was in jest to get discussion going about government overreach.
I understand your frustration but think the government should stay out of the business of neighborhood developing.

Govt yes I agree. But someone in a leadership role needs to take charge. I do t think much of too many politicians but Abbott is one I hold in high regard.

I dont think the govt should be involved in 99 percent of things it is but I sure would hope they would stop a developer from building up the swamp next to me with 8 ft of dirt and diverting the water into my house. Thats just common sense.

Im just curious as to others opinions. Responsible development should be the goal here.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
ladrones
Pope & Young

I read that only 15% of the county has flood insurance.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #16
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
If the masses depend on one individual to make a decision of such "seriousness", they're as asinine as your statement.

What is your problem?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you got the money go for it. If not.......
Oh I agree. Your own little slice of heaven for 10 years if you got the money.

And I see where your intentions are on the issue but we must tread lightly and be careful not to take a cue from Rahm Emanuel's playbook regarding tragedy.

Last edited by Man; 08-30-2017 at 07:24 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

I can agree that there have definitely been areas that never should have been developed. I'm not sure where or who should draw the line. Drainage definitely needs improvement. But so do many other things with all this aging infrastructure. It's a freaking mess.

Also it's not just limited to Houston Metro.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

****Nevermind. Youre not worth it.

Have a nice day Richard.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #20
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh I agree. Your own little slice of heaven for 10 years if you got the money.

And I see where your intentions are on the issue but we must tread lightly and be careful not to take a cue from Rahm Emanuel's playbook regarding tragedy.

Im not looking to fatten the cats. Just the opposite. The county govt leaders have been signing off on negligent development plans for kickbacks for too long.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #21
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #22
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:

That's about what I figured. You have the audacity to toss out an uninformed statement but don't have the intelligence to back it up. Way to go, Slick. Better luck next time.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #23
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

In my not so expert opinion, I think Houston needs to pony up the money to build the infrastructure to deal with such flooding. We're above sea level, so with the proper infrastructure, we should be able to greatly reduce the damage caused by hurricanes and massive rainfall.

I'd guess it would cost a few billion to do it, but I'd imagine that cost will pale in comparison to the infrastructure, home, and economic damage we just experienced with Harvey.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #24
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
But the government won't stay out of it. You know they will be building these "poor" people new homes right back in flood areas.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #25
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

I agree
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #26
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im not looking to fatten the cats. Just the opposite. The county govt leaders have been signing off on negligent development plans for kickbacks for too long.

What is the time distance between these floods? ..if you feel this strongly can you not pull a large group together and fight this legally instead of a moratorium? Not disagreeing ...just asking.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #27
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
What is the time distance between these floods? ..if you feel this strongly can you not pull a large group together and fight this legally instead of a moratorium? Not disagreeing ...just asking.
I believe 2016 Houston had two major floods that were named Tax Day Flood & Memorial Day Flood. Houston has sold out to developers years ago, like Meyerland which was rice fields in the 50's.
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #28
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Houston = $. $ likes to replicate. $ will continue to spread like wildfire, and so will Houston.

Another way to look at it is that Houston has the largest number of emergency response resources in the nation. Not only that but it has one of the most sophisticated infrastructures as well. Just look at how quickly it prepared prior to the storm and how efficiently resources have been deployed. None of that fixes the drainage problem - and I would love for the sprawl to end - but Houston is pretty impressively handling the worst natural disaster in the Republic's history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #29
psicoo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
That's about what I figured. You have the audacity to toss out an uninformed statement but don't have the intelligence to back it up. Way to go, Slick. Better luck next time.

Wrong person if you trying have a pissing match. I don't participate in much ignorance, so if you didn't get it, maybe you will...out

Last edited by psicoo; 08-31-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
To me this is about developers sending water from their developments into already populated areas flooding out people. Look at Meyerland, I grew up there. Never flooded. Starting 2 yrs ago it has 3 times.
A lot of truth to this. 99 and the development around it are a lot to blame. However all development is government regulated through permits. No doubt developers will push limits but they still have to follow regulations. The counties are a bit different.

The cities priorities have been out of line the past years while we had lots of oil and gas revenues. The cities infrastructure is outdated and has proven to be ineffective. Homes should have never been built behind Addicks dam, on low lots by the Brazos, or the bayous in Houston. It will be interesting to see if they get rebuilt.

But still, Houston got about 50 inches of rain. That's a lot of water.

Last edited by batmaninja; 08-31-2017 at 11:35 AM..
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #31
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Very disturbed at the number of Monday morning quarterbacks & self proclaimed keyboard engineers posting here.

Instead of pointing a single finger, how about joining thousands of other Americans by using your hands and feet to help?

Texans and Americans are in dire straits right now. Many of these posts are shameful and embarrassing.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
A lot of truth to this. 99 and the development around it are a lot to blame. However all development is government regulated through permits. No doubt developers will push limits but they still have to follow regulations. The counties are a bit different.

The cities priorities have been out of line the past years while we had lots of oil and gas revenues. The cities infrastructure is outdated and has proven to be ineffective. Homes should have never been built behind Addicks dam, on low lots by the Brazos, or the bayous in Houston. It will be interesting to see if they get rebuilt.

But still, Houston got about 50 inches of rain. That's a lot of water.

Using a local politician as an example, I could see how this sort of thing could happen in Houston. The guy I'm referring to is as crooked as a politician gets and has made dozens (if not hundreds) of land deals based on his insider knowledge of where future roads will be built. He's never the buyer of said properties but he seems to be friends with a lot of them and seems to make a mighty handsome living on a lowly politician's salary.

I could see politicians in Houston or, any City, doing the same thing; turning a blind eye to engineering cautions about particular areas--for a nominal fee, of course. But you are absolutely correct, 50" is a lot of freakin' rain.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Very disturbed at the number of Monday morning quarterbacks & self proclaimed keyboard engineers posting here.

Instead of pointing a single finger, how about joining thousands of other Americans by using your hands and feet to help?

Texans and Americans are in dire straits right now. Many of these posts are shameful and embarrassing.

As citizens, we have the Right and a duty to criticize elected officials in an effort to hold them accountable. This was simply a "what do y'all think" discussion. Many of these people live right where this is happening and many ARE helping in any way they can. Casting judgment of people voicing opinions of problems they see right out their windows seems rather out-of-touch.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:20 PM   #34
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

We had serious flooding here in Paris with 12" rain over two days. Yall had 50-60" of rain. Enough rain to cover the ENTIRE United States in 0.20" of water. No way this flooding can be blamed on drainage. Any town in the country would have severe flooding with that much rain.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #35
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

If complaining is a right you enjoy as a citizen, enjoy your right and effort livin2hunt.

Homes have flooded this week that have NEVER flooded in 40 years since ORIGINAL construction.

Exercise your right and duty at this time to criticize officials. Start a petition, lead a protest, whatever. It's everyone's right as an American.

Others have elected to HELP PEOPLE and WORK.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 08-31-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #36
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Wrong person if you trying have a pissing match. I don't participate in much ignorance, so if you didn't get it, maybe you will...out

Next time, try to string together a cogent thought before you hit 'Submit Reply'. Everyone else seemed to do it.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #37
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
Homes have flooded this week that have never flooded in 40 years since ORIGINAL construction.

Exercise your right and duty at this time to criticize officials. Start a petition, lead a protest, whatever. It's everyone's right as an American.

Others have elected to help and work.

Exactly, what is your point?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #38
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Have you read this? https://qz.com/1064364/hurricane-har...d-destruction/
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
That's a very good read, being born & raised in Houston I've seen the destruction of the Katy Prairie
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #40
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
If complaining is a right you enjoy as a citizen, enjoy your right and effort livin2hunt.

Homes have flooded this week that have NEVER flooded in 40 years since ORIGINAL construction.

Others have elected to HELP PEOPLE and WORK.

Slow clap for you. It's quite arrogant of you to assume you are the only person on this forum contributing. But, since you are, congratulations. You want a medal? I also like how you edited your response AFTER I replied to it. That takes balls. Don't you find it rather hypocritical that you're posting on a public forum (instead of helping) while chastising others for posting on the same public forum? I hope you get the t.v. interview you're looking for.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #41
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Slow clap for you. It's quite arrogant of you to assume you are the only person on this forum contributing. But, since you are, congratulations. You want a medal? I also like how you edited your response AFTER I replied to it. That takes balls. Don't you find it rather hypocritical that you're posting on a public forum (instead of helping) while chastising others for posting on the same public forum? I hope you get the t.v. interview you're looking for.
You state this without knowing what I and my family have already been doing physically to help others in need, who we have taken into our own home, and what we are preparing to do again tomorrow.

I don't mind you throwing stones at me. It's easy behind a keyboard. Peace.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #42
DapperDan
Pope & Young

I think some of you guys need to order a few of these and have next day air delivery!

Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #43
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

My house would be under water if 50" fell in 2-3 days, FACT...I'm gonna sue the city now & be pro-active.

Unacceptable we cannot handle a 500-1000 year flood this day & age.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #44
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

This is entertaining....

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #45
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Quote:
You state this without knowing what I and my family have already been doing physically to help others in need, who we have taken into our own home, and what we are preparing to do again tomorrow.

I don't mind you throwing stones at me. It's easy behind a keyboard. Peace.

Reread your own posts, Rock Chucker. Perhaps, I should have used smaller words so you had a fighting chance at understanding what I wrote....WOW.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #46
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Humm.......interesting. ........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #47
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
My issue is like usual. I don't care what people do as long as they're responsible for their own actions. Yes, this flood set records etc. And nothing would have prevented massive flooding to homes out of the flood zone.

When billions of taxpayer dollars go to rebuild it should be rebuilt right. People in flood zones should be required to have flood insurance..period. We should not wait for the next one (in any State or City) and then just give billions more.
I'm not saying people should not help. But people in the freaking flood zone known they will get flooded sooner or later. So why should taxpayers foot the bill? And if you say I'm heartless I will be sure and contact you when my river home floods. But I'm sure if it's not a massive media frenzy flood no one will care and I'll be told I should of had flood insurance.

"“What’s likely to happen is we’re going to spend tens of billions of dollars rebuilding Houston exactly like it is now, and then wait for the next one,” says Rob Moore, a senior policy analyst on water issues for the Natural Resources Defense Council."
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #48
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/Marshall

Quote:
I think you will see a "soft moratorium" via lack of insurable areas in the future. If folks cannot get insurance on their homes and businesses, they will relocate. I have a feeling, many of these neighborhoods will be dozed and rebuilding there will be prohibited. The insurance lobby is a stout one.
Jersey Village already does this.
If your property lies in the100yr flood plain you can't remodel your house more than 50% of its value unless you raise the structure mire than 18 inches above the flood line
This is basically impossible without costing more than the house us worth so most either do total tear down and rebuild above the flood line or they don't deal with the house all together.

This policy went into place so FEMA won't make their entire neighborhood uninsurable

The city govt is hurting a few (that live along Senate and Jersey) to save the many.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #49
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/Marshall

Quote:

So what you're dying is you want MORE govt entrusion in our lives dictating what we can do with our properties
And then you want to bring the EPA into this because they are the ones that spearhead those environmental assessments

Hmmmmm
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #50
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
So what you're dying is you want MORE govt entrusion in our lives dictating what we can do with our properties
And then you want to bring the EPA into this because they are the ones that spearhead those environmental assessments

Hmmmmm
What I want to see is personal responsibility, if you build or buy property in a floodplain then you personally accept the responsibility for those actions. In other words... you flood, it's on your nickel... No government bailout..

Javi
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top