Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
Hoggerjls
Four Point

Hunt In: San Ygnacio and Sisterdale TX
Default Hunting lease rules

I have a member on our lease that is getting on for this coming year that wants actual rules printed for him to sign. For example, he thinks just because he is paying, he can allow his grown sons to hunt when he isn't even there. Can someone send me what I would think are basic rules? My rules are already pretty basic and the other four on the lease understand basic lease rules. Thanks in advance. jason@ymstexas.com
Hoggerjls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble and Coryell County

Already sounds like trouble, cut him loose now and avoid the headaches during season!
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Yeah....if you tell him he sons can't hunt an he wants a printed list of rules I'd tell him the fit isn't right and find a new guy
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County
Default Hunting lease rules

Yeah sounds like he will be "that guy"
But it isn't a bad idea to have printed rules

Also not sure what this has to do with Bownanza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #5
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Here ya go:

Deer Lease Rules

1) Don't **** up!

2) See #1
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
Casey
Administrator

I just went through this on a new lease and I think you need to nail this part down. For us, college-aged kids (still under parent's wing) can hunt the lease accompanied by their parent. Any kid not fitting into that category would need to have their own spot.

If interested, I don't mind summarizing our rules in an email. Just let me know.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #7
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Here ya go:

Deer Lease Rules

1) Don't **** up!

2) See #1
Sounds like our rules
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
6.5 shooter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmatt72 View Post
Already sounds like trouble, cut him loose now and avoid the headaches during season!
^^^^^ this!
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Probably get a few more looks if not in the Bownanza forum..

Dang rookies..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
IbeHuntn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Live oak County

Adios to that dude, grown sons need to find their own lease.
IbeHuntn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I just went through this on a new lease and I think you need to nail this part down. For us, college-aged kids (still under parent's wing) can hunt the lease accompanied by their parent. Any kid not fitting into that category would need to have their own spot.

If interested, I don't mind summarizing our rules in an email. Just let me know.
Heck, 'anyone' you trust should be able to able to join you as a guest...but to expect 'any' guest be it blood, spouse or buddy to be able to have the lease to themselves like a paid member when not accompanied??

That is a bit irrational...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Written rules are a very good thing because there is less of an argument when someone breaks them. "Guest" rules vary from lease to to lease so you just need a rule that everyone agrees to. He is Joining the lease so he needs to abide by whatever rules you put in place or find somewhere else to hunt. There isn't a standard in terms of guest privileges. On our lease immediate family can hunt that includes fathers and adult sons and daughters, but the member must be present. We are all friends and this is the way we want it. If everyone agrees and it is in writing before they pay their money then no (less) problems.
Muygrande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I find a lease.

Kick him to the curb and let me on.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I believe there are serious problems coming your way ! for me it would be NEXT.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Pop the blister now or feel the pain later....
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarullo View Post
Yep......hes gonna be one of those " I paid my lease money, I'm doing whatever I want" types. Not worth it.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

There is no way I'd go one step farther with this person as a potential member. If you are the lease manager:
1. You should have written rules
2. You should be in charge and your decisions final and not subject to question.
3. If anyone has a problem, they should address it with you, but since #2 is in place, once a decision is rendered, that's it... end of discussion.

This guy is likely one that even though you apparently have gone over the rules is already trying to challenge them and likely will continue to do so. Or at the very least he's one of those guys that will always be pushing the edge...

There's a lot that is not in your post and I may be totally off base, but from what you've posted, this is how I would handle it...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #18
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

I agree with the above stated opinions. We had a similar situation a year ago. Father wanted his son and grandson who were in for the holidays to be able to hunt. Not a problem...they hunt off of your tags. His response? "But they have hunting license, they can kill a buck too." No sir, they can kill YOUR buck, not an additional buck." His response? "But they bought licenses. They can kill a buck too" we went back and forth and it ended up with him upset that they couldn't kill what they wanted to. We finally got through (I think anyways, because he quit trying to get us to agree) when we told him that the elder member of the lease had 2 grown sons that were also on the lease. If everyone could bring their grown kids to hunt, the lease dues for those members would be refunded and they could now hunt with their father, and everyone would have to pay additional fees to cover the lost dues from those 2 spots
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

I would find someone else because he sounds like the type that if it doesn't say it in the rules he will do it. It's almost impossible to cover every little thing in the rules.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I have been on leases that had written rules and I think it is a good idea. I have never been on a lease that allowed a guest to hunt without the paid hunter being present.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Hill country

Lol, give him something like this (from a post in Ragin's Hunting Lease thread):

Bigyummy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I'm not a paying member of your lease either can I come and shoot a deer
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #23
Eric Pence
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
There is no way I'd go one step farther with this person as a potential member. If you are the lease manager:
2. You should be in charge and your decisions final and not subject to question.
3. If anyone has a problem, they should address it with you, but since #2 is in place, once a decision is rendered, that's it... end of discussion.

This guy is likely one that even though you apparently have gone over the rules is already trying to challenge them and likely will continue to do so. Or at the very least he's one of those guys that will always be pushing the edge...

There's a lot that is not in your post and I may be totally off base, but from what you've posted, this is how I would handle it...
Yep...Or he will wind up griping about every little thing...Go to the next applicant
Eric Pence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #24
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarullo View Post
This X 2
I think your opening your lease up to future problems and he will "that guy" on the lease as stated by previous post
Just move to next person to fill your spot
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggerjls View Post
For example, he thinks just because he is paying, he can allow his grown sons to hunt when he isn't even there.

No way in hell....No guests allowed on property without paying member unless another member agrees to be responsible for him and his actions. I have found in most cases that the second part is rarely used because of the responsibility issues. Now lifelong friends have hosted other members teenage kids when "member Dad" couldn't go but that's a different kind of trust.

I'm OK with grown sons hunting off Dad's allotted lease tags (although I can understand some folks hesitation).......but they better adhere to the rules set forth on age and horns. I look at it like this....either the member is going to kill that deer or his son/daughter is going to that day. It makes me no difference who kills it as long as its within our rules and his tag allotment......but we are a little more family oriented too. Hell we bring grown guests (like I brought Skinny) to help out with mgmt deer/does.

I hunted up to my mid-30s on my Dad's MLD lease because I was mostly duck hunting. Probably hunted twice a year with him....and those rich old farts including my Dad wanted folks to come in and help them meet their MLD buck and doe requirements. We boys were happy to oblige and there was no butthurt on who was shooting what on that level later in the season.

Last edited by Smart; 03-14-2017 at 01:52 PM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
wdtorque
Six Point

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Yeah....if you tell him he sons can't hunt an he wants a printed list of rules I'd tell him the fit isn't right and find a new guy
Ditto "not working out"

Sounds like a bad tire, quicker you change it the happier you'll be. JMHO

Last edited by wdtorque; 03-14-2017 at 01:57 PM..
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #27
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

THIS! Always have written rules so no one can question it. I always had a new member prospect read the rules & make sure there were no questions in my presence before I would consider letting them on.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #28
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

You don't need someone else's rules. Just write out your rules as you and the existing members of the lease want them to be. Send a copy to the new guy, and let him know that if he isn't comfortable with them, then it's not too late for him to get his money back so he can go find another lease somewhere else.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #29
Ynotdrum
Four Point

Hunt In: Kendall county and Travis county

Almost afraid to say anything because the last time this got brought up we were all called Nazis! ( even though some of the same people are on this thread now preaching the opposite LOL ) But yes you should absolutely have written rules that are crystal-clear without any doubt of what they are and there should also be crystal clear written repercussions if you break set rules and you should make them sign it and return it to you so when they tell you they didn't know you can show them their signed copy of the rules and regulations. To include things like if you're kicked off the lease you have x amount of time to get your property off or if you're not invited or you decide not to come next year you have till this date to remove your property etc. etc. in a perfect world everyone's always doing the right thing and being a good steward of the land and doing what's appropriate and best for the land but unfortunately there's too many people that always want to push the limits and screw it up for everybody else imo.
Ynotdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #30
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

This is "that guy" as stated before me. We are getting off a lease with two of them. If you print the rules, he will find a loop hole. Shuck this guy like three day underwear or you WILL have problems.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #31
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

Tell him not a good fit or you are going to have him, his friends, his son's, and his son's friends all out there. Also, he is demanding you write up a set of rules on YOUR lease. BYE!
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #32
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

A good lease had a good set of written rules. Ours is so good there are 3 or 4 sets and none of them match!

With that being said if he is already questioning a rule that he has been told about and wanting to see it written.......adios and NEXT!!!!!!
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #33
Hoggerjls
Four Point

Hunt In: San Ygnacio and Sisterdale TX

Thanks for all comments. My bad on posting in wrong section.
Hoggerjls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #34
The Crippler
Ten Point

We had this situation last year, one guy was letting his 16 year old son go to the lease by himself, he was all over our trail cameras riding around with his friends, smoking cigarettes in blinds, shooting stuff and not logging it in to the kill book...we had to get the landowner involved to put a stop to it. The printed rule read "All guests must be accompanied by a lease member at all times", the guy just didn't understand the difference between "lease member" and "family member" and "guest". We bought his spot for this year, little more money but a lot less worry.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #35
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Tell him u run the lease and u make the rules. If he don't like it he can find another lease. This guy is trouble, don't let him on.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #36
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

While it is a good idea to write down your rules for a number of reasons, there are some problems no amount of rule writing will fix.

Best of luck to you.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #37
gilbear
Eight Point

Hunt In: Honey Hole

Sent
gilbear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #38
tom125446
Six Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

I don't think I would pay to join a lease without written rules (access, guests, etc.). It makes things much more clear between lessee and lessor.
tom125446 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

No grown sons or daughters, we allow sons or daughter under 18 and using the dads allotment.....
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #40
Mike
Ten Point

I will be the first to say, I am not a fan of all kinds of lease rules. However, having written lease rules keeps everyone on the same page and understanding what is expected, for everyone.

I know it's your lease and you make the rules, that sentiment is evident on this thread, whether or not you put them in writing is the difference. Playing the devil's advocate, you may not want to post them as you could be a violater? The last two instances of lease rule infractions that I dealt with in SE Texas involved the lease managers breaking the very rules that they adamantly enforced to everyone else on the lease. It goes both ways. I can understand your point but written rules keep everyone on the same page.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Someone more reasonable will pay. Give him his money back.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #42
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas / Hagermann when lucky

Leasee must be there with guest shooting off his tag allotment. Won't work any other way and may be why some leases don't allow guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #43
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: East & Northern Arkansas.

Had to think about our "rules" at our family camp... we're pretty lighthearted!

At camp:
-have fun
-Cut wood if the stack is low
-Clean the dishes if you're leaving
-don't sit in my wife's field
-don't sit in my SIL's field
-don't lock the gate
-no beer cans in the trash (crush and recycle)

Hunting:
-have fun
-try to make it an 8 point or better and outside the ears (15") for adults. You'll get harrassed if you kill a dinky one...
-kids shoot any deer
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #44
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Have to agree with this, seems like a PITA to deal with. It's one thing to ask, "Hey, my son is on leave from the military, can he come hunt this weekend on one of my tags?" It's another to have the attitude that if you paid for something your entire family is entitled to it. It doesn't work that way at Golden Corral, and it doesn't at the lease, unless it's designated as "family friendly."
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #45
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom125446 View Post
I don't think I would pay to join a lease without written rules (access, guests, etc.). It makes things much more clear between lessee and lessor.
I get where you're coming from as a stranger wanting to maintain a good reputation. I think in the OP's instance it's a case of him asking something like, "please don't shoot a bunch of pigs you're not willing to clean and eat, we like to save them for the kids", then the guy asks to see where that is written down, implying he will do whatever he wants.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #46
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I will be the first to say, I am not a fan of all kinds of lease rules. However, having written lease rules keeps everyone on the same page and understanding what is expected, for everyone.

I know it's your lease and you make the rules, that sentiment is evident on this thread, whether or not you put them in writing is the difference. Playing the devil's advocate, you may not want to post them as you could be a violater? The last two instances of lease rule infractions that I dealt with in SE Texas involved the lease managers breaking the very rules that they adamantly enforced to everyone else on the lease. It goes both ways. I can understand your point but written rules keep everyone on the same page.

This!
gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #47
Medina Springs
Four Point

Hunt In: Medina,Tx

yep,my son pays.
Medina Springs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #48
Addicted2bh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I would go over the rules with him now and be on the same Page, or else down the line additional rules that weren't even gone over would randomly pop up and a lot of miss communication can be involved.
Addicted2bh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #49
RogueSamurai
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmatt72 View Post
This.
RogueSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #50
RedBarn
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak County

I agree with others. Write your own rules. If he even questions you or gives you a hard time about them, kick him to the curb immediately because it won't end there. Don't let him ruin the good thing you've got going with the others on the lease. Not worth it.
RedBarn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top