Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Draco
Pope & Young

Default String Trackers

I have literally used string trackers since before they were invented. I may have co-invented them but just wasn't smart enough to market them. Before they came along I used JetLine. It was a spool of line that you blew through conduit with a vacuum cleaner so that you could pull a heavier line through to pull cable with. I used the size for 3/4" conduit. It only had 400 yards of line on it but that was sufficient for recovering most game. The String Tracker spools have 2500' on them and can be used on several animals if they don't run too far. They cost about $7 the last time I bought them and that is cheap for what they can do for you.

There is two colors of String Tracker, white and flo. orange. Only buy the white ones. The die they use for the flo. orange tends to make the string stick a little and it doesn't shoot out as smooth. The 2500' spools are 17# test. They also make a 1500' spool that is 30# test. I wouldn't buy that one either. It just isn't as smooth shooting as the 17#. I can't tell that the 17# makes my arrow drop enough to notice it out to 25 yards or so. Even with the lighter bows it doesn't matter much, maybe because of the heavier arrows we shoot. I have shot a doe at 30 paces and a couple hogs at around the same with the string on. Even so, I usually suggest people buy an extra spool and shoot it up at longer and longer distances just so you know. You will think it is too noisy but that is just because it is close to you. Standing out front while some one else shoots you can tell it is really quiet. It's never been a problem with deer moving at the shot any more than with out it. I've shot over a couple deer with it and had them stand there with the string on their back. It just doesn't seem to bother them.

Getting it on the bow can be a problem though. String Tracker makes a spool holder that screws into the stabilizer hole. I don't have one of those on any of my bows so I just taped it on for years. I finally made a little hootus that holds it on the bow. It has the benefit of being able to take the spool off and putting it on a tree limb after you shoot something. That way if they should run again while your looking, it can still feed out.

To make it you will need to have a piece of 2" elastic that is 5" long and a piece of 3/4" elastic that is 13" long. You will need some 1/2" wide velcro as well. I think you can see by the pictures well enough to build it from here.
Attached Images

Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Draco
Pope & Young

To put it on the bow, you stick the velcro on the smaller elastic to itself on the other end, to form a loop. You set the spool on the outside of your sight window, pull the loop around the bow and back over the spool again. It's ready to go.

You can see it here on my Pronghorn. It's kinda a medium size handle. Then there is a picture of it on a Robertson Stykbow, a little handle and then a picture of it on my old Brackenbury, a large handle. It holds snug on all of them real well.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Stykbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Newton, Tx

Now that is really neat.
Thanks for a great tip !
Stykbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Trick
Ten Point

Thanks for taking the time to post this. So how do you attach it to the arrow?

Matt
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

I remember that stuff from way back and I had forgot all about it. I didn't think they made it anymore.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Draco
Pope & Young

The original way was to loosen your point on screw in points) and wrap the line around the shaft and screw the point back down. On wood arrows I would tie a clove hitch and then a couple over hand knots right behind the head.

If you can imagine a shot that the arrow goes through the animal and sticks into the ground, as the animal runs or flies off, the line would have to slide through it. On a turkey this is a good thing, the string from the bow with no pressure and the string to the arrow having to slide through the bird making more pressure on that side. This will keep the bird from flying off, a bad thing. I've shot a lot of turkeys and I have lost every one that flew and found all but one that ran. But with a deer it doesn't seem to matter except that you are using your string at twice the rate. However I have had bones cut the string. There was a little doodad made for years that had a straight fish hook molded in a little plastic thing so that when the arrow went through the animal the fish hook with string attached would come out of the doodad and be stuck in the animal. That way only one string attached and less likely hood of a broke string.

I lost contact with where to get the straight fish hook doodads quite a few years ago though. My friend Steve Slevin(Rotag on here) has been looking for them and says Saunders has them and he has orderd some for us. You wouldn't want to use them on turkeys as the hook wouldn't work well with feathers. It's at the bottom of the page.http://www.sausa.com/category.php?category=40

Hope this helps and any more question feel free to ask.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I used one once and made the mistake of shooting thru the net of my Double Bull. The result wasn't quite what I expected. As the thread came blitzing out of the canister it sort of caught on the inside of the netting with a loud crack about as loud as a 22 rifle. From that instant on it got worse. Not only did it yank the arrow down into the ground about half way to the intended piggage about 12 yds away, it also unloaded several hundred feet of orange string inside my blind and almost hog tied me. Luckily I had my trusty gut hook Gerber on my belt and was able to cut myself and my bow and quiver loose and escape without injury. I guess they work OK if there is nothing between the bow shelf and the target but I never tried it using again. Could be just a mental thing but I don't trust that gadget anymore. I do use pieces of the string for tying nock points and for fish tape on other stuff and I probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Texas5o
Ten Point

Hunt In: Haskell County

I have used string trackers quite a bit as well. I never made my own set-up like this but just bought the commercial type. I also don't have stabilizer holes drilled in any of my bows so I bought a "gadget adapter" from 3 Rivers. It straps on the bow with rubber straps and has a threaded hole to screw in the string tracker. I've also used it to attach a bow reel for bow fishing.
A few words of caution: the string comes out and makes a much larger loop than you think it is going to. Hence, you have to have plenty of clearance in front of you or the string will catch on limbs, etc. when you shoot. You can shoot it out of a pop-up blind but obviously not through the "shoot-through" netting. Best thing here is to shoot a practice shot or two with it and have a video camera behind you to film the shot; then go back and watch it in slow motion and you will see how big a loop the string makes as it is coming out.
Another thing: The line always seemed to feed better if the string tracker was attached above the arrow instead of below it; at least, that was my experience.
I've recovered a few animals, especially hogs, that I probably wouldn't have without the string tracker. Even if the string breaks after a little while, it gives you the path the animal took for a ways. Hunting hogs at night, you can't always tell exactly where they go after you shoot them, especially if there is a group of them in front of you when you shoot. This also helps because, depending on where you hit a hog, blood may not hit the ground for a few seconds.....and a running hog can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds. You can follow the string until you find blood most of the time, and you may not have ever found the blood without the string.
Texas5o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I used one once and made the mistake of shooting thru the net of my Double Bull. The result wasn't quite what I expected. As the thread came blitzing out of the canister it sort of caught on the inside of the netting with a loud crack about as loud as a 22 rifle. From that instant on it got worse. Not only did it yank the arrow down into the ground about half way to the intended piggage about 12 yds away, it also unloaded several hundred feet of orange string inside my blind and almost hog tied me. Luckily I had my trusty gut hook Gerber on my belt and was able to cut myself and my bow and quiver loose and escape without injury. I guess they work OK if there is nothing between the bow shelf and the target but I never tried it using again. Could be just a mental thing but I don't trust that gadget anymore. I do use pieces of the string for tying nock points and for fish tape on other stuff and I probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.
I would love to have a picture of that. Funny right there.
I had a friend of mine use the string thing many years ago and the best I remember it didn't work all that great. I didn't know they even made it anymore. Seems like a great idea if you can keep the string from catching on stuff. I do remember he shot a deer one time but the string hung up on something and it broke after the deer ran a few yards so it wasn't much help then.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Chunky
Pope & Young

I use to use them a lot. I once shot 4 animals in one sitting (3 pigs and doe). I looked like a big Ol spider with lines running out
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

Looks goog
meangene1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
aburkett9133
Six Point

i hunt with draco alot he got me to using the string tracker and i use it often i dont shoot out past 25 yards with it but i swear by it i shot a doe several years back shot was alittle for back she went about 700 yards i would have never found her if it wasnt for the string but i dont use the orange one just the white because it seem to come out smoother but that just me
aburkett9133 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
bountyhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: My little piece of heaven near Zavalla

I did a little research on this last night and found that Carbon Express bought out Game Tracker so now it is called a CX String Tracker 2500. Seems a lot of places carries the whole unit, but very few have the replacement string.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Draco
Pope & Young

Thanks for that bountyhunter. I'm getting close to needing to order more. String trackers and 2 part skunk scent is things I just can't hunt with out.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Trick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Thanks for that bountyhunter. I'm getting close to needing to order more. String trackers and 2 part skunk scent is things I just can't hunt with out.
2 part skunk scent??? Do we need a seperate post?

Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
jreyna920
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I use both, I have a set ofnbottles I got a year ago and they last a good while, before that I couldn't find the two part skunk scent, swear by the stuff. I use a sewed up sock to hold my string tracker to my bow... Works great.

Both the skunk scent and string tracker were both products I used alot until the got hard to find. I was raised using skunk as cover.... Now just driving by road kill skunk reminds me of hunting
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
Trick
Ten Point

Draco, are you still using the Foggy Mountian brand of skunk scent?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Draco
Pope & Young

No Matt, I found out that the two part is being made again. It's being made by some relatives of Tex Isbell, the originator, in Temple. It's called Skunk Fusion now and it's a little pricy but I bought it any way. It smells exactly like skunk too. I hunted this evening and the wind changed right before sun down. I had 18 deer come in, all from straight down wind. Not a snort in the bunch.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Bob, how do you place the skunk scent when you use it?

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
Trick
Ten Point

That was my next question as well. How do you use it when hunting ground blinds versus tree stands? Any experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #21
bountyhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: My little piece of heaven near Zavalla

Quote:
No Matt, I found out that the two part is being made again. It's being made by some relatives of Tex Isbell, the originator, in Temple. It's called Skunk Fusion now and it's a little pricy but I bought it any way. It smells exactly like skunk too. I hunted this evening and the wind changed right before sun down. I had 18 deer come in, all from straight down wind. Not a snort in the bunch.
Thanks for letting us know it was being made again. I got some on order and anyone interested here is a link.

http://farroutdoors.com/index.php?ma...products_id=97
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #22
Alley Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall & Concho Co.

Will this string tracker work on compound bows?
Alley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #23
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dog View Post
Will this string tracker work on compound bows?
Yes! You just have to make sure the line will not catch on any part of the bow (stabilizer, sights, etc.). I have shot lots of hogs with a string tracker way back in the day when I was shooting a compound.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
Draco
Pope & Young

No, it will not work on a compound. You must use a stick bow, and a pretty one to boot.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
Draco
Pope & Young

By ground blinds do you mean tent blinds? If so, I have no idea as I don't own any or hunt of them. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Looking for info on string trackers and I stumbled on to this old thread. I also managed to find a company still making the replacement spools at what seems like a good price.

https://www.driftertraditionalarcher...s/hunting-gear

3 rolls for $20.97
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
Draco
Pope & Young

That's a good price.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #28
kmon
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Last time I used a string tracker it was on a compound and it screwed into the stabilizer hole, don't remember the brand. In those days I shot with an open grip. Windy day got a shot at a very nice 8pt at 12 yards. Not known to me the string blew over my index finger just before the shot and the drag from it cutting my finger almost 1/8 inch deep was enough drag the arrow hit just behind his front feet. The cut did not bleed s it was cauterized. These days I just trust my dogs nose to find the deer for me.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #29
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I have one on order. Like I said, the sandy soil at our place can be tough to blood trail in. I'm getting older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Especially blood trailing in low light or by flashlight.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #30
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

I bought a string tracker and two spools from Drifter directly. Easy peasy. Chad wrote a handwritten thank you, loaded and flaked a spool, tied the tracker onto a tree limb to demonstrate mounting and sprinkled copious amounts of evergreen needles throughout the package (I reckon for scent cover). I like trading with folk like that.

Draco...thanks for sharing your string tracker design and tips.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: ThanksSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
Billy Shipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where ever I'm invited

I'm thinking about using a string tracker this year, will be shooting thru camo netting stretched really tight on a permanent blind, anyone know if or how that may effect arrow flight?
Billy Shipp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #32
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Shipp View Post
I'm thinking about using a string tracker this year, will be shooting thru camo netting stretched really tight on a permanent blind, anyone know if or how that may effect arrow flight?

I have shot a slew of critters with the string tracker through netting. The only thing that will hurt you is if you try to shoot at a real severe angle to the netting. In that case the feather quill will sometimes catch on the netting and screw the shot up. Try to stay somewhat perpendicular to the netting and you will be fine.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #33
Billy Shipp
Eight Point

Thanks Bisch....that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #34
Space Ghost
Four Point

Hunt In: WV/OH/TN

Just bought two spools and tracker from drifter too , hope it gets here soon.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #35
masonred
Six Point

My string tracker arrived quickly when I ordered it a few weeks ago, Drifter is good to deal with. The quality is top notch, good leather and nice stitching.
masonred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #36
Space Ghost
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonred View Post
My string tracker arrived quickly when I ordered it a few weeks ago, Drifter is good to deal with. The quality is top notch, good leather and nice stitching.
Thanks man!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #37
masonred
Six Point

Not Stitched and sure of term but put together with a metal system. Anyone know what they are called?
Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #38
Billy Shipp
Eight Point

I hope to try mine out soon. Like others have said, Chad makes a nice looking tracker that's pretty solid when attached to the bow. I pulled the recommended amount of line out before shooting, it doesn't effect accuracy at 20 yards, but man, that string is noisey coming off the spool.....sounds like a hot coke fizzing out of the can.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #39
Draco
Pope & Young

The string sounds noisy to the shooter but I don't think the deer hear it much or it's a noise that doesn't bother them. I can't recall ever having a deer duck when shooting at them with it. I have even mi...missss...shot at one where the arrow went right over it's back and it kept feeding and the string was laying on it's back.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #40
Space Ghost
Four Point

Draco thats cool !
Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Mine came in the other day and I put it on the bow. I'll take a test shot or two this week with it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #42
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

When they first came out I bought one. It was smaller than the newer ones and had less line. The line was bright orange. I practiced with it and couldn't tell that it made any difference in arrow flight out to about 20 yards. I switched to the larger spools when they came out.

I shot at a buck from my stand through a small opening in the cedar limbs. The string makes a hoop when it leaves the the container and that hoop caught on some of the cedar twigs. The arrow went crazy and actually hit the buck in the rump with the nock first. No damage and lesson learned.

I've had a few mishaps with the tracker such as the line breaking in really thick brush. But by the time the line broke the animal was bleeding well enough to follow. I can't think of any animal I ever lost using the tracker.

My buddy shot a bear in Canada using the tracker and failed to recover the bear. The line broke. The next evening he killed the same bear and discover his first shot was buried in the bears shoulder. Didn't even slow the bear down. Course my buddy shoots one of those mechanical arrow launchers (compound).

I was shooting Graphflex arrows at the time and hooking up the tracker line was easy. After they quit making Graphflex arrows I went back to wood and hooking the tracker up isn't as easy. I used it a few more years and finally quit.

My brother in law still uses one with great success (compound shooter).

Bottom line is, if you practice with it and do what you should, it will work for you.

My opinion only. JC
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #43
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Draco...I see that you set your tracker up on the opposite side of the riser from the shelf. What are the downsides to setting the tracker up on the same side of the riser as the shelf?

I ask because of my bow quiver. I want to balance the bow a bit more and not have everything attached to just one side.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #44
masonred
Six Point

When on the shelf side it obstructs view, or at least did for me. All I've seen are on the side away from shelf, I just wanted to try it.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #45
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Draco...I see that you set your tracker up on the opposite side of the riser from the shelf. What are the downsides to setting the tracker up on the same side of the riser as the shelf?

I ask because of my bow quiver. I want to balance the bow a bit more and not have everything attached to just one side.
I like it that way because the tracker string just recoils back with the arrow and doesn't come back over your hand like with the lower set ups.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #46
Draco
Pope & Young

Another way to attach the string to the arrow is with the Saunder's accessory for it. I've used it with aluminum arrows for years and they work very well. If you get a pass through, you will only have one line to the animal and with less drag. Less drag means a much better chance that the line won't break if one runs a long way.
http://www.sausa.com/product.php?id=64&category=
On my wood arrows that I normally use, I tie a clove hitch and an over hand knot on the point end of the arrow right behind the point. It has worked well but I have a double line as I almost always shoot through.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #47
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Bob, how do you place the skunk scent when you use it?

Rick
I use one of the wick containers. Put it just down wind at the level I'm sitting.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #48
Draco
Pope & Young

That was in 2011 so he's probably figured it out by now.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #49
DRT
Pope & Young

Refresher information. Gotta review the basics.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #50
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Quote:
I like it that way because the tracker string just recoils back with the arrow and doesn't come back over your hand like with the lower set ups.
Thank you Draco. Thank you MasonRed.