Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
texashunter74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, TX
Default Bad Boy Buggy Rebuild With Lithium Batteries

I have a 2010 Bad Boy Buggy XT. It has been well used and abused. After the last set of cheap Energizer batteries died I let it sit (for like 2 years). I finally brought it back from the ranch and started taring it down. Out side of Brown Recluses, Black Widows and lots of chewed up wires it is in pretty good shape.
I actually had to cut out the battery frame because of corrosion. That is not a big deal as the Lithium solution will have a custom frame.

When new I could get about 12-15 miles per charge through rough up and down terrain. With the crappy Sams batteries I was getting like 8-10.

It is a 48 volt dual motor system.

I will be putting in 150ah Lithium battery pack. This will give me 7200Wh. Compared to the factory 12kw this should give me a lot more usable range.
Lithiums allow for near full discharge where lead acid discharge to at best 50%. I will also be shedding 480lbs.

My goal is to push 25 miles per charge. Due to the dual motor setup I am toying with putting in dual 120ah batteries. Currently working with multiple lithium vendors to see how we can do this. If I used each pack to power its own motor I would not have to deal with balancing the cells between packs. This would give me close to 50 miles per charge.

here is what I am starting with.

texashunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
14JKURX
Eight Point

If you go to the Buggies gone wild website there are people that can answer all of your questions!
14JKURX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
texashunter74
Eight Point

Yes. I found that group while researching. Lots of good folks on that page, very helpful.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
crumrw
Four Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Two 150ah @ 48v batteries are going to make it a pretty dang expensive setup. Other than that, sounds like a plan!
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #5
woodsman08
Six Point

Hunt In: Falfurrias & Brenham

watching this one. Take lots of pics please
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
texashunter74
Eight Point

Last Night I was able to get the motors and motor controllers tested and they are all good. Winch and lights also work.

I damaged both solenoids removing the wires so that is my 1st $140. The good thing is it seems all the corrosion stops there.

Tare down is taking some time as I have to carefully diagram every wire its connection and size.

Any thoughts on an easy way to pop the rivets that hold the skin together. Unlike my 4 wheelers and my son's razor that use those simple plastic screw rivets, this thing is held together with metal rivets. Right now my only solution is to drill them out.

EVBatterycenter.com is the place where I am leaning towards purchasing the batteries and battery control module. Instead of purchasing 4 12volt packs and risking struggling with keeping the cell balanced. They make custom packs My price will range from $2500 for the 6400wh pack (this will get me close to 20 mile per charge all the way to $5000 for a dual pack. however I am thinking now about using 2 4200wh packs driving each motor independently. This will take me close to 40 miles per charge. That package would cost $3000. Still working with their designers on what is the most efficient package for the money.

If I bought new Trojan T145s I would be spending close to $1600 plus $225 for the hydro link watering system.

My original plan was to scrap this and buy a Kawasaki Mule but decided I would give this a shot. Hopefully I am not throwing away good money.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Why run dual motors? I would redesign to run only 1 motor. Most golf carts will move through mud with no issue due to there weight. Thoughts?
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
cperry115
Four Point

Hunt In: webb/edwards

depending on the rivet size we just use a drill bit for that size rivet and they pop right out, then go back with the same size . we've been doing it on aluminum race car bodies for years and works fine
cperry115 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
texashunter74
Eight Point

Matt C I have thought about that. The 4 Wheel drive is nice. I have never been stuck using the bad boy and I have been through some thick stuff. Our current lease has a lot of crop land with thick black mud. You do bring up a thought though. Running 2 packs and a larger pack for the rear wheels and smaller one for the front, with a 2 wheel, 4 wheel switch. I would have to play with the front diff to ensure I do not damage it pushing it with out power. May be more work than i want to tackle.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #10
sethg
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Dewitt county

Nice ride
sethg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #11
Rockin' G Ranch
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Following
Rockin' G Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
14JKURX
Eight Point

See if you can find some pictures of the Bad Boy Instinct it is 2wd. It uses stub axles but the frame is set up for 4wd.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

Yep, those rivets look like the same size as my ezgo I just rebuilt here in the DIY section. Easy as heck just to drill em out. I'm curious tho, what's the size of the speed controller? I'm assuming it has one just like a golf cart.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
texashunter74
Eight Point

Uses dual Sevcon controllers. This might be an issue if either one does not work. I called Altex and they said they had no way to program 2 controllers to work off 1 throttle. Textron the company that bought Bad Boy has basically told me they could care less about anyone who bought a Bad Boy before 2012. So fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

I had to google that controller but two 500 amp controllers sounds awesome!! Heck of some torque!! Anyway, guess I'll shut up and just follow along cuz that's past my knowledge level. Good luck.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
gmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt County

Tagged. I have a 2012. May try the same as you in a couple years. In for results
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
14JKURX
Eight Point

Any progress on this project?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
texashunter74
Eight Point

Waiting on the Lithium Packs to be built. I found that EV Battery Center offered the best solution at about 2/3 the cost. They utilize Nissan Leaf battery packs and have amazing customer support. Once I get the pack I will fabricate a new battery rack under the front seat.

Looking for new rotors as the factory ones are completely covered in rust and pitted. As with every part of this Textron is zero help.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #19
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter74 View Post
Waiting on the Lithium Packs to be built. I found that EV Battery Center offered the best solution at about 2/3 the cost. They utilize Nissan Leaf battery packs and have amazing customer support. Once I get the pack I will fabricate a new battery rack under the front seat.

Looking for new rotors as the factory ones are completely covered in rust and pitted. As with every part of this Textron is zero help.
You would be wise to discuss this project with your insurance agent to see how it can be insured. Sure would hate to poor a bunch of money into it and loose it all if something malfunctions or it ends up in mexico
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

I have a titan utv that actually let you switch from 4x4 to 4x2. Either way drained the batteries quicker. I removed the front motor and gear box. The reduction in weight, resistance and additional battery doubled my travel time and have not got stuck yet.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #21
Bmfvet
Spike

Hunt In: Laredo

I used EV Batteries for upgrading a 72 V Gem car. It was pretty seamless and easy to do. I have more range and the batteries will last 2-3 times as long, weigh less, and much less maintenance.
Bmfvet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #22
texashunter74
Eight Point

Still waiting for them to start selling complete packages again. Was told 6 weeks and that was about 3-4 weeks ago. Fingers crossed they start up again soon.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
HankePanky
Spike

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter74 View Post
I will also be shedding 480lbs.
Must be a helluva diet. Seriously though, that's a cool project.
HankePanky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top