Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #501
Bumpy
Ten Point

I'll be hunting some family land bordering the Davy Crockett tomorrow specifically the Alabama Creek section. Kind of excited because I've never hunted there before. There are a few stands set up. I think I'll pick the one over looking a clearing. Wondering should I throw some corn out or not? My cousin hunted there a few weeks ago and saw a few does. Any tips you guys should suggest? Kind of wanting to wait till daylight because I'd like to look the stand over before I get in.

Last edited by Bumpy; 12-13-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #502
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

Anyone been able to get on some deer lately? Seems like before thanksgiving our movement haulted completely.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #503
EatemUpCats
Nubbin' Buck

I was out at Alabama Creek for the past 3 days and the only activity I saw were 2 doe and a fawn running across the road. I don't know if anyone else saw much but I got skunked. I still had a great time...maybe next year!!!
EatemUpCats is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #504
dummble
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Groveton, San Isidro, La Joya

Anyone ready to start talking about this season? We were checking cameras, clearing brush and moving stands this weekend.
dummble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #505
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Keep an eye out for this pup, not sure who the guy is but I figure we could help out if someone sees him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #506
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Geez guys, Give the guys dog back to him!
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #507
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummble View Post
Anyone ready to start talking about this season? We were checking cameras, clearing brush and moving stands this weekend.
Nope.. i think blue tongue got all the deer.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #508
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Nope.. i think blue tongue got all the deer.
I'm just wondering about this whole clearing brush and moving stands in the DCNF thing.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #509
BW96
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I'm just wondering about this whole clearing brush and moving stands in the DCNF thing.
Lol I was wondering the same thing. I didn't think that was something to broadcast

Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #510
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehound View Post
Not accusing anyone of anything but the way those deer are posing and watching they are definetly feeding on something in that spot. Right in that spot.
All you have to do is pee on that same spot every time you go in there. Deer will come check it out and pee on it as well. Peeing ain't baiting.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #511
dummble
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Groveton, San Isidro, La Joya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Well technically I hunt private land that butts up to the DCNF. All the same work, less rules.
dummble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #512
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummble View Post
Well technically I hunt private land that butts up to the DCNF. All the same work, less rules.
Private land with immediate access to thousands of other acres? That's a helluva deal.

I was just picking at you, by the way. I kind of figured you weren't actually doing any of that in DCNF.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #513
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

Already been in the woods just about every weekend. Put the hammer down on some hogs Saturday. Checking out some new places this year.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #514
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

I predict more hunters than ever in the woods this year. Out of the 6 cameras we are running, 2 were tampered with and one was turned off last weekend. I done posting about these woods in public forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #515
BW96
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I predict more hunters than ever in the woods this year. Out of the 6 cameras we are running, 2 were tampered with and one was turned off last weekend. I done posting about these woods in public forums.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of traffic. Seems like there will be a lot more hunters as if there wasn't enough. Not to mention the ones that just show up randomly during season.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #516
roostar14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shnf, NE tx van zandt

Hows the camping out here? Wife and daughter wanna go camping so im set for oct. Gonna go put some time in and wanted to hear input on camping and decent camping locations.
roostar14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #517
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Yep ppl posting on the internet about public land are just inviting more people. I'm done too. Anybody that does anymore ain't the brightest star in the sky. All it takes is a google search with a few key words and anything u said can and will be used against you.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #518
..Ambush..
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF, DCNF, 711, Trinity

Agree with the above comments. I'm guilty of this and have seen the negative impacts as well... Social media has ruined many great Hunting, Fishing and Arrowhead spots for me in the past few years. It's enjoyable to be able to share with others, but it definitely comes at a price.. Spending years stomping around the Backwoods to find that magical spot, only to have someone behind a computer screen slide in without breaking a sweat.
It would do us all some good if we kept things a little more tight-lipped amongst public forums. Unfortunately there's not much left to the imagination these days..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
..Ambush.. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #519
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
Agree with the above comments. I'm guilty of this and have seen the negative impacts as well... Social media has ruined many great Hunting, Fishing and Arrowhead spots for me in the past few years. It's enjoyable to be able to share with others, but it definitely comes at a price.. Spending years stomping around the Backwoods to find that magical spot, only to have someone behind a computer screen slide in without breaking a sweat.
It would do us all some good if we kept things a little more tight-lipped amongst public forums. Unfortunately there's not much left to the imagination these days..

If sharing deer pictures from the DCNF on social media were a crime you'd be on death row right now.

It's a shame too because it is fun to see those.

Lay low for a while, give the fair-weathers time to burn out and you'll be fine.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #520
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thats why i said blue tongue got em. Folks wag their tongue until its blue and the good spots get crushed. I have a few i would really enjoy sharing right now. Nah better not.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #521
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

DCNF is some big property though. Everyone knows the deer are there just don't give out too many details about your area when sharing. I have shared info with Ambush but I know guys like him have put in the time and at time we may help each other. Just gotta be careful who you share with and how much
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #522
..Ambush..
Eight Point

Quote:
Thats why i said blue tongue got em. Folks wag their tongue until its blue and the good spots get crushed. I have a few i would really enjoy sharing right now. Nah better not.
Haha, Ya I picked up on something to that effect by your last comment Steve... With the internet and all the forums these days its near impossible to keep anything a secret for long.
Just look at what Trinity white bass fishing has become. If you plan on fishing certain spots you better be there early and don't forget your boxing gloves!

Old 09-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #523
roostar14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shnf, NE tx van zandt

Well ive always hunted the Sam for the past 9 years.... My first year here i shared some pics got chewed out in private messages and never posted a pic again. Ive decided to up my roots from the Sam because like most of yall am trying to avoid pressure and would like a change in scenery. That being said other than maps and hunt stand app i don't know a lick on boundries and rules of hunting this region. ... Any insight....
roostar14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #524
BW96
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar14 View Post
Well ive always hunted the Sam for the past 9 years.... My first year here i shared some pics got chewed out in private messages and never posted a pic again. Ive decided to up my roots from the Sam because like most of yall am trying to avoid pressure and would like a change in scenery. That being said other than maps and hunt stand app i don't know a lick on boundries and rules of hunting this region. ... Any insight....
Only Insite I have is you won't avoid the pressure or people. More people than ever right now.

Last edited by BW96; 09-02-2017 at 03:32 PM..
Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #525
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Haha, Ya I picked up on something to that effect by your last comment Steve... With the internet and all the forums these days its near impossible to keep anything a secret for long.
Just look at what Trinity white bass fishing has become. If you plan on fishing certain spots you better be there early and don't forget your boxing gloves!

Lots of pinoak acorns up there this year
Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #526
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
Only Insite I have is you won't avoid the pressure or people. More people than ever right now. I'm actually going to hunt the sam more than dc.

Yep. Pressured deer are easy to pattern.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #527
..Ambush..
Eight Point

Quote:
Lots of pinoak acorns up there this year
What most people call "water oaks" ive always called Pins.. that what you're referring to Steve??

Old 09-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #528
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar14 View Post
DCNF is getting to be just as bad as Sam. Too many ppl can't keep their mouth shut.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #529
TxsBuda
Six Point

Hunt In: Near Crockett National Forest

I hunt near Kennard. Anyone seeing more hogs? I got a cam and they are coming in from 2 to 4 am.
TxsBuda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top