Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
jakefromtx
Spike

Hunt In: Brazoria, Cameron, and Webb County
Default Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt, 1/4/2018 - 1/7/2018. I live about 5 hours away so it's not very convenient to go check it out. From what I've read, it looks like it's mainly thick brush and tall grass. Older forums say that a tripod is the way to go. Anybody know of any good tripod brands that won't break the bank? Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake
jakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

I'll be there in December for my first time as well. Also had some of the same questions regarding tripod vs. ground blind.

Have you looked at the Millenium T100 tripod. It's a lightweight option and about in the ballpark with all other comparable options. Probably the route I will go if I'm going to haul one in.
Ironman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
philipolsen
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: where ever i can

I was drawn for the second hunt in November, I purchased a Hawk brand stand at the end of last seadon, it's 8ft and folds up with 2 wheels on it and can be pulled around kinda like a game cart
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

Have you hunted here before? Do you think a tripod is necessary or just a nicety?

And thanks for the Hawk tripod recommendation. Interesting design that I hadn't seen yet. Pretty Dang heavy it looks like though.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
philipolsen
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: where ever i can

No, this will be the first time for me, but i did hunt laguna atacosta last year, i didnt have a tripod but i guy i met actually let me use his one evenimg humt that he wasnt able to make it out and it made me wish i had my own. And yeah it is a bit bulky but the wheels are big enough that it's pretty easy to move around. Plus you can put all your gear on it and help tote it around
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

In reference to the Mill T100. Although I think their good. I think a 10' tripod will be right at the limits for down south. 8' would be about as tall as l like to go with 6' being more ideal. Try South Texas Tripod. They have some great light weight short ones just for down here.

Last edited by Muddy Bud; 09-03-2017 at 11:50 PM..
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
In reference to the Mill T100. Although I think their good. I think a 10' tripod will be right at the limits for down south. 8' would be about as tall as l like to go with 6' being more ideal. Try South Texas Tripod. They have some great light weight short ones just for down here.
Thanks Muddy.

I did look over the STT option but didn't see anything other than the 10' version (as the smallest option). I may just stop by there and chat with them since they're not too far from me.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

Would y'all say that without a tripod, you're at a disadvantage down there? I've seen guys say that they hunt tripod and ground, so if I don't have to drop $300 right now, then I'd rather not. That said, if it gives enough advantage to make a difference for my hunt, then I'll definitely do it.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

Never hunted Teniente but I have hunted Atascosa. I hunted out of a pop up and saw a few does in range and one group of nilgai cows about 50 yds out but no shot.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
Would y'all say that without a tripod, you're at a disadvantage down there? I've seen guys say that they hunt tripod and ground, so if I don't have to drop $300 right now, then I'd rather not. That said, if it gives enough advantage to make a difference for my hunt, then I'll definitely do it.
Speaking from experience for me at least, I hunt from the ground. If you see something from the tripod just out of range, there is nothing you can do but watch it walk away. From the ground you can always move a bit even it is just 10 or 15 yards. That may be enough to put you in range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
Speaking from experience for me at least, I hunt from the ground. If you see something from the tripod just out of range, there is nothing you can do but watch it walk away. From the ground you can always move a bit even it is just 10 or 15 yards. That may be enough to put you in range.

Very good point! That's probably more my style anyway...

Thanks RGV.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Homer75
Eight Point

Quote:

This is the best advice about stands there. I've done way better at that place on the ground than in a blind. I had a nilgia come in at 20yrds and couldn't do anything because he was lower then me, all I could see was his head. That place is very thick and easy enough to build a blind.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
jakefromtx
Spike

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.12.32 PM.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  78.7 KB

I got this map emailed to me after buying the permit and as y'all can see, the boundaries on the right side extend past what they sent. Does anyone have a full map with the boarders clearly defined?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Its easier to walk in and walk out at the end of your hunt. You can hunt farther in because you don't have to carry anything heavy but your bow and backpack. I use to hunt the atascosa before it went to the draw system. All you had to do was go the office and pay your fee. If you were one of the first 600 you were set. If you lived out of town you could mail it in. I liked it the way it used to be. I live five minutes away from the place and it looks like this year I will just watch everyone drive by on the way to the hunt area.

I would not be surprised if management hires Broken Arrow Ranch again to slaughter the nilgai from a helicopter after all the hunters leave and we can only watch. They did it last year.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Unless they changed, the right side is not correct. Don't get caught on the other side of that fence. I would confirm that with TPWD in writing if I was you.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
Ironman8
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
That place is very thick and easy enough to build a blind.
I was under the impression that you couldn't do anything with the foliage as far as cutting/building a blind?

I'm thinking of going the Ghost Blind route. I backpack hunt elk out west so I have a Kifaru for hauling gear and meat. Figure I can strap the GB to the pack and it would be easy enough to walk in with it.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
I was under the impression that you couldn't do anything with the foliage as far as cutting/building a blind?

I'm thinking of going the Ghost Blind route. I backpack hunt elk out west so I have a Kifaru for hauling gear and meat. Figure I can strap the GB to the pack and it would be easy enough to walk in with it.
Thats a good idea

Old 09-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Zjesse22
Four Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Check craigslist you can find tripods for less than a $100
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
Homer75
Eight Point

Quote:

Correct, don't cut the trees/underbrush. I was kinda in a rush when I wrote that reply. I usually just hunker down under a good tree, nothing says you can't stomp down the high grass under the trees. Kinda like what you would do if you posted up a pop-up blind under a tree. There use to be a ton of nilgia there, haven't been in a couple of years. The whitetail were OK, I never really saw any does and the bucks were desent for public ground. I use to hunt on the place to the east before the old man was killed. More nilgia killed than deer on his place.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #20
jakefromtx
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Correct, don't cut the trees/underbrush. I was kinda in a rush when I wrote that reply. I usually just hunker down under a good tree, nothing says you can't stomp down the high grass under the trees. Kinda like what you would do if you posted up a pop-up blind under a tree. There use to be a ton of nilgia there, haven't been in a couple of years. The whitetail were OK, I never really saw any does and the bucks were desent for public ground. I use to hunt on the place to the east before the old man was killed. More nilgia killed than deer on his place.
I've noticed in the past that Nilgai tend to hang around open plains. I saw on google earth that farm fields surround the area. Is it better to hunt along the edges of the property that are closest to the fields or would I have better luck hunting the tall grassy areas that they bed in?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Old Mexico
Default Boundries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefromtx View Post
Attachment 871160

I got this map emailed to me after buying the permit and as y'all can see, the boundaries on the right side extend past what they sent. Does anyone have a full map with the boarders clearly defined?
That is the map of the refuge: ""BUT" it is not correct... The finger over to the East is out of limits, That is protected area and no hunting is allowed there. Look carefull and you will see the signs on that area. most of them are down or leaning.
BOW BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #22
Hank Hill
Eight Point

I went with TBHer rwkiel for the nilgai hunt last year @ teniente, you can PM for his advise. From my experience the landscape (outside of the "lake" bed bottom) is extremely dense. There are some relatively easy to spot choke points from the road, but you'd be hard pressed to find a line of sight longer than 50 yards.

If there's water in the lakebed then I'd be camped near openings to the water as there were lots of tracks. Bring a thermacell, because the ticks are THICK, you will get covered in them if you spend much time stationary on the ground.
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #23
j_chaserman1
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: PHL, COE, Wherever i Can

I got drawn for this hunt in early December last year. I too live 5 plus hours away. So my scouting was by map also.
I took my ground blinds with me but found the best oppertunities based on the terrain and vegetation was to spot n stalk. I kicked up several Bilbao hogs and deer this way and while wasn't able to stick anything successfully it was a good hunt.
Just be prepared for the wind. Last year I got winded out the last 2 days of the hunt with gusts in the 30mph range and blowing steady in the low 20s.
Also may not be a big as deal in January but I still saw a few snakes in December. So snake boots or guards may be good idea for packing list.
j_chaserman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
j_chaserman1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I've noticed in the past that Nilgai tend to hang around open plains. I saw on google earth that farm fields surround the area. Is it better to hunt along the edges of the property that are closest to the fields or would I have better luck hunting the tall grassy areas that they bed in?
I saw big au last year in the middle of the park and towards the boundary. They do seem to cross that back road onto private quite a bit with evident trails and I saw a bunch of rubs right off the roads last year as well.
I spot n stalked and kicked up a fair number of nigai deer and hogs. The nigai tend to be a little flighty like WT. but it's doable. Just keep a sharp eye out n go slow n quiet
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Quote:
Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt, 1/4/2018 - 1/7/2018. I live about 5 hours away so it's not very convenient to go check it out. From what I've read, it looks like it's mainly thick brush and tall grass. Older forums say that a tripod is the way to go. Anybody know of any good tripod brands that won't break the bank? Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

We got drawn for the same weekend... This will be our 3 year to hunt out there. We always talk about taking a tripod but always just hunt on the ground in the brush
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #26
yanta61
Ten Point

a couple years back a TBH sent me a video of a homemade trypod. Cant remember who he was but all it was, was a 6-8' ladder and he put a boat seat on top of it.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
jakefromtx
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
I got drawn for this hunt in early December last year. I too live 5 plus hours away. So my scouting was by map also.
I took my ground blinds with me but found the best oppertunities based on the terrain and vegetation was to spot n stalk. I kicked up several Bilbao hogs and deer this way and while wasn't able to stick anything successfully it was a good hunt.
Just be prepared for the wind. Last year I got winded out the last 2 days of the hunt with gusts in the 30mph range and blowing steady in the low 20s.
Also may not be a big as deal in January but I still saw a few snakes in December. So snake boots or guards may be good idea for packing list.
When you spot and stalked, did you ever run into other hunters? From google earth, it doesn't look that big for how many hunters will be there but then again I've never been out there to see what it's like.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #28
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
When you spot and stalked, did you ever run into other hunters? From google earth, it doesn't look that big for how many hunters will be there but then again I've never been out there to see what it's like.
More than likely you will.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #29
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

We will be there for the first hunt in Dec. We got drawn for 2 hunts last year there. When I have a little more time I'll sit down and give more info. Here is my buddy and the Nilgai he took.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #30
j_chaserman1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
No I didn't see or run into any other hunters while out there. I thought the same thing but boots on ground proved otherwise.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #31
Gmhall87
Nubbin' Buck

This is a great thread, I got drawn for the December 14-17 hunt for this year and have been looking for info just like this. Thank y'all.
Gmhall87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #32
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFireFighter View Post
We will be there for the first hunt in Dec. We got drawn for 2 hunts last year there. When I have a little more time I'll sit down and give more info. Here is my buddy and the Nilgai he took.
Was this on the teniente track or east lake?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #33
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanta61 View Post
Was this on the teniente track or east lake?
Teniente

TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #34
firemove
Spike

Hunt In: Texas, CO, NM
Default East Lake

What did you draw this year? Have you hunted East Lake LRGV NWR? Hobratsch
firemove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #35
firemove
Spike

Default NWR Laguna

From Laguna Atascosa NWR
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
firemove
Spike

Default Blazed Orange NWR 2014

Must have Orange
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #37
nickstone
Spike

me and a buddy got drawn for 1/11-14
nickstone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #38
TXGorillaHNTR
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hidalgo Co, Public Land

Hello Everyone! I'm a brand new member to the forum. I was looking around on the web for info on the Teniente and came across this thread. I was drawn for the archery hunt Jan 11th -14th. I got home from work the night of Sept 1st around 11pm and saw an email from tpwd that it was the deadline to apply. I got my application put in just before midnight and received an email the next day that I was drawn! That is never the way my luck normally goes, LOL. Anyways, I'm very excited about the hunt and wanted to say thank you to all the folks that shared their information about it. I saw some questions here about whether to use a tri-pod or not from ppl that may not know the area. If I may, I would strongly suggest you try to get one. I say this because I hunted the Chapparal last year and sorely regretted not bringing mine. I hunted with a blind and couldn't see very far around me. With the dense brush down here, it really helps you to be able to see what otherwise would be totally obscured. I found a nice (pretty) light weight Game Winner tri-pod at Academy for just over $100 a couple of years ago and it is great. That's coming from someone who's 6'5 265#s, lol. Hopefully this helps someone as much as all of you have helped me already.
TXGorillaHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #39
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
Attachment 871160

For those of you getting this map. The boundary is not correct. I called the fish and game officer working this area and he says to not hunt on the other side of the boundary or your permit will be revolked. Do not hunt in the area I have marked in red.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #40
Homer75
Eight Point

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. To answer your question, both, I've seen them in the think nasty stuff where you only see the top portion of the neck & head. I've seen them walking just off the road. Look for heavily used trails and dung piles, they crap in the same pile repeatedly.

Y'all listen to RGV, he's correct about the map, that's off limits. Don't cross the fence, even the downed portion. The game wardens, both state and federal, are thick there. I've ran into at least one everytime I've hunted there, super cool guys but, I've been legal everytime.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 AM   #41
Homer75
Eight Point

Good luck to everyone going there and post pics.
Also, I've never seen them but, I've heard there are some huge pigs there.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #42
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

I just got back from a walk in Teniente, I like to go walk there whenever I have a chance, I know the place very well as I worked the USFWS for some time and that was one of the tracks that were took care of, I have also hunted there many years and have harvested some animals and have been able to put some guys on great spots over the years with multiple animals taken out, I did not share any info on the past year except for maybe a hand full of guys that called me and asked for tips, Well today as I walked the area I found a tripod that was left behind by one of the guys that I talked to, I recomended him to stay away from that area as it has multiple bee hives nested underground in the burm from an old irrigation canal. His name and contact info was still legible on one of the legs of the tripod so I decided to call him, LOL, he said that he was chased out by the bees on the first day of the hunt as well as another hunter who was also in the same area, He said that he got hit 7 times on the head, neck and face and that he was chased all the way to his truck, I guess he walked to close to the entrance to the hive... I took out his tripod and will be meeting with him sometime next month in H town to give it back to him, he said he wont be back here anymore as he had the worst experience ever. LOL... I also found what was left of the other hunters pup up blind, the chair, calls and binos are still good, no contact info was found. The locals know what Im talking about, But for all you guys that have never been out here or that you have been out here once or twice, Please be care full, For anyone that wants some basic info I have attached a map with the color coded areas, RED is out of thr game, Orange has tons of bees in it, Pink has plenty of snakes, and sink holes where they hide....Blue has some great hunting, but stay away from the roads and fence lines, BUT IT IS GOOD TO FIND A CROSSING POINT ON THEM AND SET UP A LEAST 50 YARDS AWAY ( Nilgai ). The black area is owned by an ***&%$ who will drive around by his fence line hitting his horn and making all kind of noises to make anyone hunt miserable if he spots you near by, so try to stay away. just east of the orange area is a private property that is leased out for hunting, so don't expect to see much animals around that area anyway, If I can provide anyone with any more info just give me a shout.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #43
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado,

Those of you who may not bring a travel trailer, where is the best place to stay?
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #44
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
Those of you who may not bring a travel trailer, where is the best place to stay?
Raymondville or Edinburg..
Old 10-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
Valley Gateway RV Park is about 12 miles from the hunt area... if we decide to pull the RV we might stay there.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #46
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Bump, who all has already hunted and how did it go? My hunt is a month away and Iím getting prepared!! Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #47
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

I'll be headed there next week! Getting pretty excited
Jared.King is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #48
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsck12 View Post
Bump, who all has already hunted and how did it go? My hunt is a month away and Iím getting prepared!! Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next week will be the first hunt.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #49
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

Quote:
Next week will be the first hunt.
Nope. The first hunt is November 9-12

Laguna Atascosa first hunt is November 17-21