Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 09-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #51
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
What I want to see is personal responsibility, if you build or buy property in a floodplain then you personally accept the responsibility for those actions. In other words... you flood, it's on your nickel... No government bailout..

Javi
That's way to hard for some to understand.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #52
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
That's way to hard for some to understand.
Life is a PASS or FAIL TEST

Javi
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #53
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/Marshall

Quote:
What I want to see is personal responsibility, if you build or buy property in a floodplain then you personally accept the responsibility for those actions. In other words... you flood, it's on your nickel... No government bailout..

Javi
I hate wearing seatbelts
They get my shirt wrinkled
Why does the govt force me to pay extra money installing them in my car and making me wear them getting my shirt wrinkled

I've never been in an accident in 30+years of driving so I'll like to take my chances of not flying thru the windshield in case of an accident
But if I do go through the windshield then so be it

That'll just be my time to go

Too much govt intrusion
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #54
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
I hate wearing seatbelts
Why does the govt force me to pay extra money installing them in my car and making me wear them getting my shirt wrinkled

I've never been in an accident in 30+years of driving so I'll like to take my chances of not flying thru the windshield in case of an accident

Too much govt intrusion
You're correct, but the government forces us to do things like wear seatbelts because a large percentage of the population will not accept personal responsibility for their own actions...

Javi
Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #55
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/Marshall

Quote:
You're correct, but the government forces us to do things like wear seatbelts because a large percentage of the population will not accept personal responsibility for their own actions...

Javi
Same for flood insurance

What should have happened is the mortgage company (or the fed govt if FHA/GI loan) should require flood insurance in these areas

Have the market police itself

But that would be a perfect world

Who cares about the money when over 50 have lost their lives and tens of thousands lost their homes
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #56
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Same for flood insurance

What should have happened is the mortgage company (or the fed govt if FHA/GI loan) should require flood insurance in these areas

Have the market police itself

But that would be a perfect world

Who cares about the money when over 50 have lost their lives and tens of thousands lost their homes
The people who will flock to the affected area to get rich off the misery and charity of others... That's who will care about the money...
Old 09-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #57
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did your account get hacked? You want the government to dictate where and where not a private citizen can live? Centralized planning much, komrad? Not very Libertarian of you JSweet.

You are having a knee jerk reaction to a once in a millennium event. Don't over-correct, you will roll the thing
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #58
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
The computed elevation to which floodwater is anticipated to rise during the base flood. Base Flood Elevations (BFEs) are shown on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and on the flood profiles.

The BFE is the regulatory requirement for the elevation or floodproofing of structures. The relationship between the BFE and a structure's elevation determines the flood insurance premium.

https://www.fema.gov/base-flood-elevation

Is this not already happening?

The issue with Harvey is that yes flood plain areas flooded, like the have in the past, Meyerland, Greenspoint, Bellaire, Brazon River Basin. But this time the reservoirs filled and flooded Buffalo Bayou, so lots of areas not in the floodplain (as defined by the Feds) flooded this time. Most of them are expensive properties, not in the floodplain, therefore people didn't have flood insurance.

The government is already in the flood and insurance business. That is one of the many issues. They told people if their house would flood or not flood based on BFE. And they flat our pooped the bed on their predictions.

Regarding insurance, there is a lot of fine print in their policies. I am no expert but I understand that Harvey caused damage through flooding. So if you had hurricane or wind insurance you are SOL, because the insurance companies are defining Hurricane Harvey as a flood.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #59
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
I hate wearing seatbelts

Too much govt intrusion
The problem with your anology is that if you are involved in a wreck a seatbelt can help you remain in the driver seat and thus possibly maintain control of the vehicle. In the event you lost control of your vehicle because you weren't able to stay in your seat and then hit someone head on then your actions or lack thereof endangered or even potentially killed someone.
Driving isn't a right its a privelage.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #60
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Irresponsible Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Did your account get hacked? You want the government to dictate where and where not a private citizen can live? Centralized planning much, komrad? Not very Libertarian of you JSweet.

You are having a knee jerk reaction to a once in a millennium event. Don't over-correct, you will roll the thing

Libertarianism is not Anarchism.

Should we abolish the police and fire departments? How about laws against fraud, rape murder?

All im saying is stop corrupt county officials from putting people in danger by signing off on negligent development plans for a quick buck.

Last edited by J Sweet; 09-05-2017 at 10:28 PM..
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #61
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Default Irresponsible Development

Comrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #62
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
So what you're dying is you want MORE govt entrusion in our lives dictating what we can do with our properties

And then you want to bring the EPA into this because they are the ones that spearhead those environmental assessments

Hmmmmm

You are too funny. I love your posts, always good for a laugh.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #63
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:

Should we abolish the police and fire departments? How about laws against fraud, rape murder?

All im saying is stop corrupt county officials from putting people in danger by signing off on negligent development plans for a quick buck.

Slice how you want, but you have requested for more govt intervention leaning towards centralized planning. All for a once a millennium event

And I know how to spell comrade.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 AM   #64
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:

Privatizing the fire departments would be a step in the right direction. Firefighters would make more money and have better equipment.

centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #65
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Slice how you want, but you have requested for more govt intervention leaning towards centralized planning. All for a once a millennium event

And I know how to spell comrade.

3 times in 2 years is not once. I am requesting less govt interference. I said nothing of private land owners. Crooked developers and crooked politicians is who I mentioned. You want to buy a house in the middle of a flood plain go for it. More power to you. But a developer gives the appearance of safe haven which is false.

Example. I live next to you. We both have land and live in an area where it might flood once every hundred years. We are on even ground. I bring in dirt to raise my land 16 ft and drain it all to yours. Now my land is no longer flood prone. So can be approved for development. Every time we have a good rain your house is under 10 ft of water and you lose everything. I give the county commissioners a kickback and start a subdivision. Now its all concrete and theres more run off. Your house is now 12 ft under water. Laissez faire? Youll be just fine with that right?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #66
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post
Privatizing the fire departments would be a step in the right direction. Firefighters would make more money and have better equipment.

Valid argument but it would still be paid for with tax dollars so overseen by the govt.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #67
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
3 times in 2 years is not once. I am requesting less govt interference. I said nothing of private land owners. Crooked developers and crooked politicians is who I mentioned. You want to buy a house in the middle of a flood plain go for it. More power to you. But a developer gives the appearance of safe haven which is false.

Example. I live next to you. We both have land and live in an area where it might flood once every hundred years. We are on even ground. I bring in dirt to raise my land 16 ft and drain it all to yours. Now my land is no longer flood prone. So can be approved for development. Every time we have a good rain your house is under 10 ft of water and you lose everything. I give the county commissioners a kickback and start a subdivision. Now its all concrete and theres more run off. Your house is now 12 ft under water. Laissez faire? Youll be just fine with that right?

You live in a land of bayous, rivers and coastal plains..... it's going to flood. Do you cap the growth of the Houston metro because it's flood prone and land/real estate prices sky rocket because of low supply of buildable land?

C'mon up to Lubbock, we got 99 problems, flooding ain't one of em...

this is just general goading in a friendly way. You are very small govt guy, but in the face of disaster the call for prevention is to government!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #68
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
You live in a land of bayous, rivers and coastal plains..... it's going to flood. Do you cap the growth of the Houston metro because it's flood prone and land/real estate prices sky rocket because of low supply of buildable land?

this is just general goading in a friendly way. You are very small govt guy, but in the face of disaster the call for prevention is to government!
I don't understand how you are saying my call for prevention is to government. I am saying govt in the form of the county officials signing off on this stuff is the problem. Therefore govt is the problem. Establish a rule that precludes govt officials from screwing over people. That is in essence what our constitution and bill of rights is. Im not saying write a bunch of laws and start some agency to oversee them. I am only ONLY saying get corrupt govt officials out of flood zone development.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #69
tps7742
Ten Point

J Sweet by starting this thread with its topic, you will have to defend your no government involvement from now on. People will not forget.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #70
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

Here are my thoughts summed up.
People have/need to know where flood plains/lines are. We can all agree on that
Insurance companies need to pay up, not the taxpayers.

No need to cap the growth but Houston 100% knows it will flood again in the future. So just like we complain about bailing out liberal cities, we should complain about bailing out Houston. They should plan starting NOW for the next flood, not wait until it happens and then expect the government to rush in to rebuild.

The whole problem is "we" all complain about government spending UNTIL it's our turn. Then we have our hands out expecting money. "We" means individual people, counties, schools, cities, and States.

And I must repeat before I get bashed. I have no problem with man power rushing in to help. National guard and everyone else.

So should we "help" New Orleans rebuild again if Irma went that way and destroyed them again? Why? Does anyone with a brain not see N.O. going under water again mainly due to their own stupidity?
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #71
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
Using a local politician as an example, I could see how this sort of thing could happen in Houston. The guy I'm referring to is as crooked as a politician gets and has made dozens (if not hundreds) of land deals based on his insider knowledge of where future roads will be built. He's never the buyer of said properties but he seems to be friends with all of them and seems to make a mighty handsome living on a lowly politician's salary.

I could see politicians in Houston or, any City, doing the same thing; turning a blind eye to engineering cautions about particular areas--for a nominal fee, of course. But you are absolutely correct, 50" is a lot of freakin' rain.

Playa, it sounds to me like y'all are making the same points in different words. I cited a local example early in this thread and didn't feel like remaking the point so, I quoted myself. I could be wrong but it sounds like this is what Sweet is saying.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #72
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Yall are ridiculous, 50+ inches of rain drops in a couple of days and the world is coming to an end and we are all going to float away. I buy the land I can build what I **** well please on it. Govt needs to get out of what I do and do not do with my land period. I want to build a house in a spot that floods out every year so be it. It isn't the govt job to tell me that is stupid and quit doing that long as I am willing to pay to try it and own then the govt can go pound sand. But this will never happen sadly we are already to far down the rabbit hole...
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #73
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Yall are ridiculous, 50+ inches of rain drops in a couple of days and the world is coming to an end and we are all going to float away. I buy the land I can build what I **** well please on it. Govt needs to get out of what I do and do not do with my land period. I want to build a house in a spot that floods out every year so be it. It isn't the govt job to tell me that is stupid and quit doing that long as I am willing to pay to try it and own then the govt can go pound sand. But this will never happen sadly we are already to far down the rabbit hole...
Bingo
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #74
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post

I'm not so sure pay and equipment would improve. A privatized fire department would be given the same amount of money from the government (though likely significantly less, in order to win the contract), yet now they would need to make a profit. If you cant increase your revenue, the only way to increase profit is by cutting costs. Some of this cost cutting can be seen in cutting through bureaucracy, getting better deals on equipment, etc. But that only saves you so much, and the goal of any company is to maximize profits. That ultimately means cutting pay and equipment.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #75
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
I'm not so sure pay and equipment would improve. A privatized fire department would be given the same amount of money from the government (though likely significantly less, in order to win the contract), yet now they would need to make a profit. If you cant increase your revenue, the only way to increase profit is by cutting costs. Some of this cost cutting can be seen in cutting through bureaucracy, getting better deals on equipment, etc. But that only saves you so much, and the goal of any company is to maximize profits. That ultimately means cutting pay and equipment.
I wouldn't have the government awarding the contracts. Private individuals would pay each station for their services. Everyone would be free to choose if they wanted fire station response. I'm all about self reliance. You want something, you pay for it. Sadly fewer and fewer people want anything to do with self reliance.
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #76
Tbar
Ten Point

I agree with a previous poster. Keep goberment out of it. Let insure-ability and capitalism decide.

This was a 1-in-1,000-year flood event thus reward out ways risk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c9441a9d3eeb

Rebuild Houston ASAP!!!
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #77
B Littleton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County & Public Land

Just to throw in my two-cents (as the pot stirrer I am), If the current administration has their way and the clean water rules are revised to only cover intermittent and perennial streams and abutting wetlands, there will be a surge of development filling in wetlands and ephemeral streams ultimately leading to larger and more dangerous floods. Over development up-gradient in watersheds always leads to increased volumes and velocities of water, combine this with an already outdated and over-burdened flood control infrastructure, and an increased frequency of 100-year storms, and we are setting ourselves up for some catastrophic situations.

Something to think about when you're cheering on the deregulation of some of our most important natural resources.
B Littleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #78
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

If we start building around 800 year natural disasters, it will raise the price of homes. A lot.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top