Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
bushwacker361
Four Point

Default Even sports is now ruined

You know, after eight years of Obama, I was excited when Trump got elected. I used to watch the news daily (FOX) and kept up with current events. Then, about 80 days into his presidency, even FOX news was too depressing to watch. Nothing but hate on all of the news networks. So I haven't watched or listened to the news, either on my TV or in my car on SIRIUSXM, in months. Made the switch in my car to the NFL Network and during my lunch break at work I watch ESPN for sports.
After the last few days and weeks, I'm done with those as well. Between all of the sports players protesting and all the non-stop noise about Colin Kapernick and why he's being so mistreated, you can't even enjoy sports anymore.
Not sure if anyone has noticed or cared, but next time you tune into either of those sports networks, make a mental note of how many minutes go by without a player protesting or CK's name being mentioned.
I may have to watch football this year with the sound muted.
bushwacker361 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Been going on a looong time in sports. I can't stand Bob Costas' face.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Sport got ruined when it became a rule the all players got a trophy
I dont watch ESPN or even new cast because your right, it always mentions CK someone else following his lead.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Honestly this is the best thing to come out of all the idiocy of today's society. I have turned off the tv and strayed reading more.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post

I haven't watched sports in many years because of it. And, yes....Bob Costas gives me digestional distress.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Even the late night "comedy" shows do nothing but bash Trump.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Even the late night "comedy" shows do nothing but bash Trump.
In my opinion, he's the 3rd, maybe 4th President to get bashed left and right. Pretty much goes with the territory these days. I don't like it one bit, even if it's the guy/lady I didn't vote for. Do you think Hillary would be having it any easier right now?
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
bushwacker361
Four Point

I agree, both sides are guilty when it comes to nasty news against the opposing President, so, I turned to sports. Sports should be like hallowed ground, a place where everyone, regardless of how you vote, can feel free to come together and root for their team. I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm a conservative, yet I know there are people that have opposing political views that also root for the Cowboys. Both sides have always come together at peoples homes, at sports bars, at the stadium, or wherever, and those political views are checked at the door.
And ole' Bob is one of the reasons why the Olympics tank in the ratings, that's for sure. But Bob doesn't do football, so this isn't on him.

It's a shame...........
bushwacker361 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
I haven't watched sports in many years because of it. And, yes....Bob Costas gives me digestional distress.
Yep. Can't stand the guy..... Makes me want to puke just hearing him talk.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
In my opinion, he's the 3rd, maybe 4th President to get bashed left and right. Pretty much goes with the territory these days. I don't like it one bit, even if it's the guy/lady I didn't vote for. Do you think Hillary would be having it any easier right now?

I'm pretty sure Hillary would get the Obama treatment. They would fawn all over her.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker361 View Post
I agree, both sides are guilty when it comes to nasty news against the opposing President, so, I turned to sports. Sports should be like hallowed ground, a place where everyone, regardless of how you vote, can feel free to come together and root for their team. I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm a conservative, yet I know there are people that have opposing political views that also root for the Cowboys. Both sides have always come together at peoples homes, at sports bars, at the stadium, or wherever, and those political views are checked at the door.
And ole' Bob is one of the reasons why the Olympics tank in the ratings, that's for sure. But Bob doesn't do football, so this isn't on him.

It's a shame...........
I agree, and I can remember a time, not too long ago, it was like that in major sports. There were some incidents, but they were mostly isolated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
I'm pretty sure Hillary would get the Obama treatment. They would fawn all over her.
Mmmmmmm, I dont remember Obama having a cakewalk at all, nor W. Bush either.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
TP3
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree, and I can remember a time, not too long ago, it was like that in major sports. There were some incidents, but they were mostly isolated.

Mmmmmmm, I dont remember Obama having a cakewalk at all, nor W. Bush either.

George W. Bush was bashed throughout his presidency.
Obama is and always has been a media darling. I'm pretty sure that his reign was the definition of a cakewalk.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
George W. Bush was bashed throughout his presidency.
Obama is and always has been a media darling. I'm pretty sure that his reign was the definition of a cakewalk.
Rediculously one-sided comment. O got bashed just like the others from day 1 till the end. Anybody that cant agree to that wasn't paying attention or was too busy bashing him themselves.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
TP3
Ten Point

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree sir.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Rediculously one-sided comment. O got bashed just like the others from day 1 till the end. Anybody that cant agree to that wasn't paying attention or was too busy bashing him themselves.

By the msm? If you believe that I'm afraid you have early signs of dementia.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #16
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
By the msm? If you believe that I'm afraid you have early signs of dementia.
No, of course not. O had his cheerleading media sites, just like W and Trump. I do concede that it seems worse for Trump, but I think the media is more in everybody's face these days and politics have gotten a little out of hand. Just like it showing up in sports and what not.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #17
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker361 View Post

It's a shame...........
Actually, sports has always been the FIRST battleground arena post our uncivil war.
(Jack Johnson (prize fighting), Jackie Robinson (baseball), Curt Flood (baseball), Fritz Pollard (football), Charlie Sifford (golf), Jesse Owens (track & field), Wilma Rudolf (track & field).
Every one of them had the weight of the world on there shoulders as it related to citizenship, patriotism, and race. Just the way it is.........and this too will pass, trust me. WE have always become better in the long run!!! Just ride the ferry, WE will cross the river soon enough.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #18
Vermin93
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX, OK, TN
Default Even sports is now ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Actually, sports has always been the FIRST battleground arena post our uncivil war.

(Jack Johnson (prize fighting), Jackie Robinson (baseball), Curt Flood (baseball), Fritz Pollard (football), Charlie Sifford (golf), Jesse Owens (track & field), Wilma Rudolf (track & field).

Every one of them had the weight of the world on there shoulders as it related to citizenship, patriotism, and race. Just the way it is.........and this too will pass, trust me. WE have always become better in the long run!!! Just ride the ferry, WE will cross the river soon enough.

Great post and I would add Nate Northington to the list. 50 years is not that long ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yer/103584396/
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin93 View Post
Great post and I would add Nate Northington to the list. 50 years is not that long ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yer/103584396/
Yessir..............and the rest of the story:
Soon thereafter Bear Bryant scheduled a game against USC. This was specifically planned to illustrate to Alabama fans how the game was being changed. They were severely exposed offensively and defensively. The Tide loss the game in Los Angeles Coliseum on national television, .........and soon integrated their team with much less chaos from their fan-base.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
Rcole1310
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brackettville,TX

Quote:

Birddog you're wasting your time try to interject reason into this. Of Course Fox News never bashed Obama, of course Drudge, Brietbart, newsmax, talk radio, One America Network, the Blaze, all of us conservatives on TBH never bashed him over his 8 year term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rcole1310 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcole1310 View Post
Birddog you're wasting your time try to interject reason into this. Of Course Fox News never bashed Obama, of course Drudge, Brietbart, newsmax, talk radio, One America Network, the Blaze, all of us conservatives on TBH never bashed him over his 8 year term.

Hey, stop that!!!
Stop following all the outlets I follow.......lol! That puts you "outside the box!"
Sir, you are severely contributing to messing up the historical narrative! LMAO!!!

Last edited by Landrover; 08-20-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #22
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

Exactly why I stopped watching pro foot ball. Only college for me. Plus I get more time in the stand. Ain't nobody got time for all that wussy yuppie crap.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcole1310 View Post

I know, I dont know what came over me......

Old 08-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

The NFL is destroying itself from the inside. So now pro Kapernick supporters are threatening to boycott if he doesn't play.....and the fans who can't stand that crap have been bailing out in droves. They want to play politics by allowing these leftist a voice during the game....then prepare for your demise.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
skiguy327
Four Point

ESPN is just as guilty as the news networks in only offering content and discussing issues that they feel polarize opinions and therefore attract more viewers or listeners. Some really smart people at the networks know and understand what motivates the target market and will allow them to sell more advertising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top