No announcement yet.

Drawn for Laguna Atascosa Archery Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be appreciated. We are down for the 2-6 and will do the same - set up Thursday and scout a little more as well. We scouted a total of 26 miles across 5 different sections a couple of weekends ago, but still wanted to check a couple more spots out. We have two or three really solid spots based on signs but can't have enough because a couple will be heavily dependent on the wind that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be prepared for a lot of idiots that think they are gonna spot and stalk, and dont have a clue how to hunt.. Doubt most of them could sneak within bow range of an armidillo.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        Be prepared for a lot of idiots that think they are gonna spot and stalk, and dont have a clue how to hunt.. Doubt most of them could sneak within bow range of an armidillo.

Did it seem pretty crowded? I am a little concerned with 250 permits that I am going to continuously be bumping into people out there. Especially if people are not allowed to mark spots. Thoughts?

Comment

Did anyone get eat up by chiggers?

Comment

I'll be arriving early Thursday morning to scout and setup my blind and then hunt Friday-Tuesday.

Comment

I am as well

Comment

Same except I'll have to bugger out Monday afternoon. I have another hunt starting Tuesday at Brazos Bend.

Comment

My group will be down on the 30th.
                  I'm also curious how crowded it felt, I guess we will have to wait and hear from the first archery deer hunters on that for a better understanding.

Does anyone know if the LA headquarters will give answer to how many permits were purchased for each respective hunts? 100+, 150+, 200+?

Comment

Originally posted by DaFountainBow View Post
                    Did it seem pretty crowded? I am a little concerned with 250 permits that I am going to continuously be bumping into people out there. Especially if people are not allowed to mark spots. Thoughts?

If you stay close to the roads, you're almost guaranteed to have people up on you. When I first started hunting out there, I had all kinds of people walking around during the best hunting hours. I had a tripod set up on a worn down trail and had a guy come walking down the trail crouching like if he thought he was actually tracking an animal.

Also, you don't want to mark where your spot is because will hunt your stands. It's happened in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                      Did anyone get eat up by chiggers?
                      Your biggest enemy are the seed ticks out there. I've never had chiggers out there but the ticks can be horrendous.

I thought one year my legs were dirty so I didn't pay any attention to the brownish color. By the time I knew it, hundreds had crawled all over my body and I spent the next day with a fever and chills. Permethrin is a must have.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        If you stay close to the roads, you're almost guaranteed to have people up on you. When I first started hunting out there, I had all kinds of people walking around during the best hunting hours. I had a tripod set up on a worn down trail and had a guy come walking down the trail crouching like if he thought he was actually tracking an animal.

Also, you don't want to mark where your spot is because will hunt your stands. It's happened in the past.

Thanks for the info...I have always gone far back in, my concern is that with it being crowded I would risk walking thru someone heading back out that has decided to stay close to the road. Because I **** sure ain't walking 1 mile through unfamiliar woods after dark.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                          I'm also curious how crowded it felt, I guess we will have to wait and hear from the first archery deer hunters on that for a better understanding.

Does anyone know if the LA headquarters will give answer to how many permits were purchased for each respective hunts? 100+, 150+, 200+?

I asked that exact question a few weeks back when I called, it was before the second draw though. I was told 250 were available and that her "best guess" would be that 220-230 will show up with a lot people getting there late on Friday night because of work and the numbers dwindling significantly Sunday mid day due to people returning to work on Monday. Which is all fine by me. I am staying until they kick me out...

Comment

Originally posted by DaFountainBow View Post
                            Thanks for the info...I have always gone far back in, my concern is that with it being crowded I would risk walking thru someone heading back out that has decided to stay close to the road. Because I **** sure ain't walking 1 mile through unfamiliar woods after dark.
                            I don't blame you. I was born and raised hunting in south texas and I still don't like walking through the brush out there in the dark. lol

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post

I checked with the hunter station today. They have no way how many no shows since no one is required to check in or out.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                                I checked with the hunter station today. They have no way how many no shows since no one is required to check in or out.
                                Just curious, how would they know that everyone hunting actually drew the tag? If they stop you I'm sure that is a quick way to find out, but other than that its a free for all?

Comment

Working...
                                X