Questions on Boss Buck VS. Banks free choice feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Boss Buck VS. Banks free choice feeders

If there's a thread on this I apologize and feel free to send me a link if so.

I've been caught up in building a hog trap and made a late decision on a free choice feeder. I've narrowed it down to a Boss Buck 350# and a Banks 300#. Do to the close proximity to my lease, these sizes will be just fine for me. According to various videos, both of these claim to be virtually rodent free do to the design of the feeders/legs. I am aware that a squirrel can chew through a hickory nut so a plastic drum will be no match. Those of you that have experience with these brand feeders could I please have your thoughts, opinions, complaints, modifications etc please?

In my opinion, the banks would be more squirrel proof. You are setting it on a single post and then you can wrap that post with a pvc pipe making it virtually impossible for them to get to the feeder. I have no experience with either, but I am going to try the banks out

Comment

Great question OP, I have been wondering about this exact thing as well with the same setups.

The flying squirrels at night are murder on anything plastic where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
        In my opinion, the banks would be more squirrel proof. You are setting it on a single post and then you can wrap that post with a pvc pipe making it virtually impossible for them to get to the feeder. I have no experience with either, but I am going to try the banks out
        I'm leaning towards the Banks. It could have been here on TBH but someone used metal stove pipe from HD to wrap the 4x4 post. I think the Banks will be far more stable with hogs pushing up on it than the Boss Buck.

Comment

Check out elgatos farm thread....he uses Banks I think

Comment

Found a good older thread for the Banks.

Comment

Buy the feeder sleeve from Banks for the Banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                Will do, thank you.

Comment

I just put out a Boss buck 350 and haven’t had any Coon trouble. They’re Hitting it hard in this crazy weather, with just cheap protein cattle pellets. You’ll be good with either of them I feel like!

Comment

Do u think that plastic sleeve is better than a section of metal chimney pipe? Wondering how thick that plastic sleeve is and if coons can sink their dirty paws into it with enough motivation

Comment

I had 2 of the Boss Buck 1200 free choice protein feeders for several years and don't recall ever seeing a squirrel on them - while hunting or on trail cam pics.

Occasionally there was a bigger than average raccoon that could reach a feeder port. I placed a 2x8 squares under each leg to keep the legs from sinking and that must have raised it just enough to limit the raccoons from reaching because I seldom noticed them again.

I just don't know if the height of the feeder ports is different on the on 350# unit.

During those seasons I did not have feeder pens, I did not have a problem with hogs. They would hit the corn around the corn feeders but never touched the Boss Bucks. Though if they set their mind to it, I'm sure they could easily knock down.

No damage to plastic from any critters.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                        Do u think that plastic sleeve is better than a section of metal chimney pipe? Wondering how thick that plastic sleeve is and if coons can sink their dirty paws into it with enough motivation
                        Tough and I can’t see any claws digging into it. But, if u already have chimney pipe they can’t wrap their legs around and is tall enough try it.

Comment

Banks

Comment

Tough and I can’t see any claws digging into it. But, if u already have chimney pipe they can’t wrap their legs around and is tall enough try it.
                            Cool, thanks Baaaaaaaw!

Comment

Working...
                            X