No announcement yet.

2020 Handgun Harvests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I’ve finally got my .44 7.5” SBH ready to go this year. Confident to about 30-35 yards, so just treating it like bow hunting for right now. Shooting 240gr hard cast hand loads and some 240gr Speer Deepcurl jsp handloads pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ I bet that bullet will do a number on whatever it makes contact with!

I was crossbow hunting. Can’t draw a bow back due to shoulder issues.

Right at dark, I had a sow come to the feeder. I watched her for about 10 minutes trying to get a clean shot on her. She never gave me a shot.

Being as to how I don’t like seeing pigs and not killing them, I drew my S&W 629 out of its holster, put the gold bead on her shoulder as she was walking away, and let her rip.

20 yards later, she was piled up in the thickest cat claw I’d ever seen.
      Attached Files

Comment

Heckuva day today. 60 yards. Same set up as the turkey. About 40 yard recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In the stand right now with my Thompson Center Contender .357 mag. Hoping to put some first blood on it. Got into pistol hunting this year so hopefully a doe walks out within 60 yards.
          Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 11-14-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I have a Magnum Research BFR ( BIG FREAKIN REVOLVER ) in 30-30 I'm hoping to get some glass on this year & join the Hangun hunting crowd

Comment

I shot a doe with my BFR in 475, but i always have trouble loading pics here so use your imagination

Comment

I used to hunt with pistols a lot for about ten years. Killed a lot of whitetails and one axis with my 30-30 Contenders, one with my Super Blackhawk. A Super 14 or 16 Contender in 30-30, with the right loads, is very deadly out to 300 yards or so. I always wanted to switch to a 7X30 Waters, but I kept buying 30-30 barrels. I had two or three 30-30 Super 14 barrels. I currently have a 18" 30-30 carbine barrel and carbine stocks on my Contender. I keep saying I am going to get some more Super 14 or 16 barrels again, and do some more handgun hunting.
                  Back then I had a 3X or 4X Redfield I used on my Contenders. with my 135 gr. Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet and a powder charge of either 30.5 or 31.5, don't remember, I think 31.5 gr., I could shoot 3/8" groups at 100. I wanted a custom built XP 100 so bad. I still want one very badly. Once I get to a point, where I have more time and money. I am going to get a XP 100 built, have it chambered for 6.5X47 Lapua, with a 16" barrel. For now just buying another 14 or 16" 30-30 barrel, then some pistol stocks and a scope would get me back in the game.

Good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    ^^^ I bet that bullet will do a number on whatever it makes contact with!

I was crossbow hunting. Can’t draw a bow back due to shoulder issues.

Right at dark, I had a sow come to the feeder. I watched her for about 10 minutes trying to get a clean shot on her. She never gave me a shot.

Being as to how I don’t like seeing pigs and not killing them, I drew my S&W 629 out of its holster, put the gold bead on her shoulder as she was walking away, and let her rip.

20 yards later, she was piled up in the thickest cat claw I’d ever seen.
                    Very nice. Congrats on the pig!

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      I shot a doe with my BFR in 475, but i always have trouble loading pics here so use your imagination
                      Awesome. Congratulations!

Comment

handgun kills

Here's my 2 recent whitetails I've shot with pistols:

#1 - 141" 8 point with my Ruger Super blackhawk in 44 rem mag, shooting 240gr hornady xtp's and a 4x leupold scope. Shot was 42 yards and he went 30 yards before piling up.

#2 - 161" 10 point with my S&W 460xvr, shooting 300gr hornady xtp's and a 2.5-8x leupold scope. Shot was 121 yards and he went 10 yards before piling up. My 2nd biggest buck to date with any weapon!
                        Attached Files

Comment

^^^ Nice!!!

Comment

CB4128, those are both outstanding! Congrats on the pistol kills.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                              CB4128, those are both outstanding! Congrats on the pistol kills.
                              x2 - WOW, Both in one season too. Congrats.

Comment

Thanks, the top one is actually from last season.

But the last 2 bucks I’ve taken have been with pistols.

It definitely adds some excitement to a hunt and it’s very challenging to me at least

Comment

Working...
                                X