Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIL's Jerky Recipe

Here ya go Devin!

Here is my Father In Laws Jerky Recipe. I've always enjoyed it. I included Directions in the recipe. I've never made it before but is very good. I took his recipe and put it in excel format. You can change the weight to however much you need. On a guess 5 pounds or rub will be more than enough for 20 pounds of meat.

FIL's Jerky Recipe.xls
    Last edited by mesquitecountry; 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Bbq Quailsadillas!

Well considering I had leftover BBQ quail. I figured why not make some Quail Quesadillas!

Here's how I did it.

Meat of 6 Quail torn into small shreds.
      1/4 Onion Diced
      1/2 Bell pepper Diced
      5 sprigs fresh Cilantro
      Olive Oil
      Pinch Black Pepper
      Pinch Salt
      Pinch Cumin
      Pinch Red Pepper Flakes or Dice Fresh Jalapeno
      Pinch Garlic
      1 Round Queso Fresco
      4 Tortillas

First heat skillet with Olive oil and immediately throw in Bell Pepper and Onion. Saute for 1 minute then add in Meat, Cilantro, and Spices. Toss around in the pan for a minute or two to combine flavors (If you need more Oil add it). Remove from heat.

In another pan (preferrably a griddle style with low edges) heat on medium and spray with pam.

Fold tortilla in half like you were making a taco. Place in a generous helping of cheese and meat mixture. Fold Taco together and mash it to flatten it out. Place on griddle and brown on both sides and repeat with the remainder of the filling.

Serve with Guacamole, Fresh Pico, Sour Cream and Black Beans!

Comment

Got it. Thanks, Travis.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Cranberry Bacon Wrapped Venison Bites

Venison Chunks
          Bacon

Ingredients
          Cranberries
          Brown Sugar
          Butter
          Bourbon
          Sage
          Rosemary
          Salt & Pepper
          Toothpicks

Place a stock pot on medium and add 1/2 stick of butter. Once melted take a bag of fresh cranberries and place it in the pot. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar. If you think it could be a little sweeter add a little more. Cranberries vary quite a bit depending on the year and region they come from. Remove the leaves from one sprig fresh rosemary and a pinch or two of dry sage (fresh will work also 1-2 leaves) and add it to the pot as well. Also add a pinch of salt and some black pepper to taste. Finally pour about a 1/4 cup of your better Bourbon. You want to simmer this down until the cranberries are busting. Keep stirring and it will thicken up very well. Taste if. If it needs a little salt or sugar or more spice add it here. Pour about 1/2 cup of the liquid into a separate bowl (for dipping sauce).

Wrap the venison and bacon using a toothpick to hold it in place. NOTE: You most likely only need a half strip of bacon for each piece not a whole one. But if you want it go for it!

Take bacon wrapped venison chunks and salt and pepper then immerse them in the liquid before you cook them. Leave them in the fridge for a couple of hours then take them to the grill and discard the remaining liquid. Grill them until the bacon shrinks up but not crispy and they will be medium doneness.

Serve with the dipping sauce.

This is a very earthy meal so serve it with mushroom and potato au gratin and some fresh steamed asparagus.

If you really want to jazz up a salad with this instead of the asparagus go with a mixed green and add sweet dried cranberries and walnuts and use a raspberry vinaigarette for dressing.

Comment

My wife and I tried the turkey breast, the one thing I changed was jalapeños instead of spinach. They were excellent thanks for the recipe

Comment

My wife and I tried the turkey breast, the one thing I changed was jalapeños instead of spinach. They were excellent thanks for the recipe
              Very nice twist LW. You just sparked an Idea. Roasted Poblano's and Sun Dried tomato's would be awesome as well.

Comment

Mesquite Country's 30 min Red Beans and Rice

Here is my quick and painless Red Beans and Rice recipe. I know its great to slave away all day but you can get just as much flavor out of this quick and easy recipe.

Ingredients
                1- Link Andouille Sausage
                2- Cans Red Beans
                2- Cups Cooked Instant Rice
                1/2- Onion Diced
                3- cloves Garlic Diced
                Black Pepper
                Crushed Red Pepper
                Butter

Melt Butter in pot. Place in Onions, Andouille, and Garlic. Saute on medium for 1-2 minutes. Add Black Pepper, Red Pepper (to your liking). Saute on medium for 1-2 min. Add in Red Beans. Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Prepare Instant rice to box directions. After 15 minutes add in rice and turn to low for another 10 minutes check salt add if needed then serve! Very Easy Very good!

Here's the process and pics!

Last edited by mesquitecountry; 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Citrus Titos!

Is it possible to make Titos Better? OH HECK YEAH IT IS!

Take a few washed lemons, limes, and Oranges and peel them. Keep the peels and eat the fruit! Becareful not to over peal. We just want the colored part of the fruit not the white pulpy part! YUK!

Place it all in a gallon Container with lid.

Next pour in the Titos!

Let sit for one week! I know I know its forever but its worth it! Trust me! Mix with OJ and have a great screwdriver!

Funnel back into Titos bottle and mark it Citrus vodka!

If you want a spicy Titos for Bloody Marys you can take a palm full of whole black pepper and a handful of crushed red pepper and repeat the process you can have some spicy Titos! It's endless on what you can do! And you can do this with rum as well!

Dried Coconut and dehydrated pineapple with Rum. Vanilla beans and Rum. Vanilla Beans and Vodka! Go nuts! Make your own blends its easy the problem is you just have to wait one week!
                  Last edited by mesquitecountry; 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Travis do you have anymore recipes for wild hog?

Comment

Did you try the molasses and whole grain mustard one? Or did I even post that one?? Let me see what my brain can concoct!

Comment

I didnt see it on here. Also can you post up a good way to cook ribs?

Comment

Texasbound its on page one. Give that one a shot. It has been the overall fan favorite.

Ribs I'm an extreme traditionalist.

Dry rub overnight. Slow cook on the pit until the meat pulls back from the bones.

Use a little sop as well. I have a sop recipe on page one. But here's my minimums for sop. I dont measure when I make it just eyeball it.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
                          1 stick butter
                          1 bottle italian dressing
                          1/2 bottle soy sauce
                          1/2 bottle worcestshire
                          1/2 bottle louisiana sauce
                          handful of cracked or whole black pepper
                          1/2 onion coarse chopped
                          3 lemons cut squeezed and dropped in.
                          1/2 cup of honey or molasses
                          2 Beers

heat all up then spread it on after about 45 minutes in every 20 minutes.

Comment

Mesquite Countrys Baked Garlic Habanero Wings!

Easy low fat not deep fried version of hotwings. If you want instead of my cooking instructions just drop them in hot oil about 350 for a couple of minutes until golden brown.

Ingredients
                            Hotwings about 4 pounds
                            1 bottle Franks Red hot
                            1/2 stick butter
                            Crushed Red or Habanero Pepper
                            3 garlic cloves crushed

First startoff by boiling all your hot wings in water. When they're all nice and white drain the water off and then place them on a broiling rack or sheet pan in your oven. Set it at 400 degrees and cook them until golden brown.

Now make your wing sauce. Melt butter. After melted add in franks red hot. Bring to a simmer. Add in about a teaspoon of the pepper. Next drop in garlic.
                            cook on low for about 10 minutes.

When wings are done place them in a large tupperware dish with lid. Pour over wing sauce place lid and shake em up! Serve with some good old homemade ranch dressing!

Beer is good with it as well!

Comment

Thanks Travis. I guess I over looked it.

Comment

Texasbound,

I made it this past weekend along with a brisket and a goat leg. 20 guys destroyed 15 pounds of meat. It was awesome! The biggest key is wrapping it in foil after about 2-3 hours on the pit. It literally falls off the bone!

Here it is all cooked up!

Comment

Working...
                                X