No announcement yet.

Colorado Bend SP Youth Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not jealous of those of you that are out in this rain! We will be there at the end of the month, both my boys were drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Recap of Colorado Bend Youth Hunt

17 of the 23 hunters showed up No stand by hunters showed up.
      5 young ladies hunting with their dads .
      We left by noon Sunday at that time the count was 9 deer 2 bucks 7 does.
      the bucks were a six point , and mooney_ag's son got a nice hill country TEN.
      The TPWD Staff were great and made this an enjoyable hunt even with the rain.

Comment

My daughter and I hunted a ridge in Unit 2 and saw 8-10 does and 3 bucks. She passed on a couple does while setting up the pop-up on Saturday and had a buck walking in and out of the trees at the far end of the clearing that evening but he didn't give a shot opportunity. Had a really nice buck in the corn at legal Sunday morning but didn't have enough light for her to get setup before he bailed and she passed on a small 6 point a little later before shooting a 1.5 year old doe around 8:00. Hunted until 10:00 and then from 12:00 - 3:00 but only saw one other doe.

Comment

We set up on a draw in unit 1. By the way those deer love apple corn and are skiddish as heck of popup blinds!! We saw several deer and my boy passed on 6 different small bucks saturday evening after us seeing a big one while waiting on orentation. The first evening he shot a spike and we seen 13 deer. The next morning we saw 7 does and he shot a big doe. We went back out at noon sunday and sat till 3:30 when a 6 point walked out and he decided it might be his last chance so he took the buck. He ended up shooting three deer and another son/father duo killed 3 deer in our unit as well. It was a great hunt and the staff were pleasent as well. The deer were alot more skiddish than i would have figured but once we got the popup brushed in better it was game on.

Comment

Also in Compartment 1

Hey DX,
            My grandson and I were in the front of compartment 1 , and he got a six point Saturday evening. Glad to hear yall did so good back in the back, sense we never saw yall after orentation.

Comment

I can't say enough good things about the park, the staff, and the hunt. It doesn't hurt to have had both of my boys score a buck. We are all still pumped from our experience. Short of each of their first deer kills/hunts; this is the best hunt I can remember. I know these were state park deer. but it was a challenging and rewarding hunt. We were the last to leave sunday night and when we checked out they were 1 deer shy of 100%; their best record for a youth hunt. Looks like unit 1 picked up some slack.

First off, the park was huge. It took 15 minutes to drive from the front gate down to the river and campground areas. We drew unit 5 along with two other youth and their dads. We were told it was 1,000 acres. The cover was thick with quite a few elevation changes. We are already planning for a trip back in the summer to explore the trails and caves and fish. Will definitely apply for draw again next year.

The staff was top notch - friendly and very accommodating. They answered questions helped us with some directions and even provided chili for everyone on Saturday evening after the hunt. We were able to visit with the staff and make some new friends.

The hunt - It was great to scout and set-up over some hand thrown corn as opposed to permanent blinds and feeders like we do normally. Great educational experience for my boys on the art of hunting. We found trails rubs, and two scrapes jumped a buck bedded down. Well they show you the compartment from the main road and give you a couple starting/parking spots to consider. Looking at the satellite map they gave us I picked two open looking areas for us to hit. We followed a trail for a half a mile and then went uphill into the thick and boy was it thick. No good place to really set up and definitely no lanes. We never found that open area I was looking for. By now it was 1600 hrs and no staked out spot until we junped a buck. A little further in and we found a nice area with some sign and trails and two small shooting lanes. It was still thick. Set up a pop up, threw out some corn, and flagged a way back down to the trail. My oldest boy got this spot. While my youngest and I went back down to pick up the trail. With daylight fading quickly we setup along the trail close to some crossings and tracks we had seen walking in. We saw two deer out of this spot that darted across the trail that evening and nothing the next morning. Nothing had touched our corn along the trail the entire time we were there. My oldest shot a 10 pt the first evening. Told me he never gave the buck a chance at getting away. The next morning he saw three more bucks and a doe at that spot and the doe never presented a clean shot. After the morning hunt we packed up the blind on the trail and searched for a better spot at the second open area I was looking for. We found a spot with great sign for both deer and hogs. Set up and corned to prep for the evening. My youngest decided to hunt his brothers spot and with some intel and advice from older brother took an 8 pt. At the new spot, my oldest saw a massive 10 pt., spike, doe and a hog. He could hear more hogs rooting in the brush but never saw them. Had a 25 min stare down with the 10pt that knew that pop up wasn't supposed to be there. Said he didn't feel like gutting the spike at dark and the doe and hog were briskly skirting the brush.

Big Steve, It was nice to meet you and to put a face with a name.

Sea dog & DXT, sorry we missed each other.

Last edited by mooney_ag; 12-07-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Good for the youth hunters. Now if the does can survive to next month.

Comment

Mooney_ag,
                  Both of my boys were drawn too for the hunt next week. We had assumed they each got a spot (this is our first draw hunt) but then started wondering if they had to hunt together with the adult listed on their entry.

You clearly had two spots, correct? Did you have an adult with them the entire time? My husband doesn't know if he will be able to make the first day so if may just be me and the boys.

Thanks and congratulations to your sons!

Comment

Been putting in for this place on the adult side for 15 d@mn years and still not been drawn.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 12-21-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaseyinTX View Post
                      Mooney_ag,
                      Both of my boys were drawn too for the hunt next week. We had assumed they each got a spot (this is our first draw hunt) but then started wondering if they had to hunt together with the adult listed on their entry.

You clearly had two spots, correct? Did you have an adult with them the entire time? My husband doesn't know if he will be able to make the first day so if may just be me and the boys.

Thanks and congratulations to your sons!

Pm sent. Hope y'all have a great time

Comment

Just finished up our first public hunt and couldn't be happier. My boys have only bowhunted so this was a great experience to get to see the other side of hunting.

My husband and I each took a son and there were two additional youth in our compartment. We were assigned compartment 2. I think there were around 20-25 kids there. I'm not sure how many deer were taken, but they did mention that only two small bucks and a spike were brought in by the second day.

It was such a different strategy when you only have one full day and two half days to hunt! We ended up with two does and an aoudad. My sons were thrilled. It was a great family memory! All of us had a great time!

Comment

I just got back from there. I was in Compartment 1 with 3 other guys. The first night I took a 3.5 67lb doe and one of the other guys in my compartment took a 5.5 68lbs doe. The next day I had a check engine light on so I only hunted until 8 and ran to town but I saw 6 deer. That night I shot a 2.5 61lb doe. When I was checking her in a guy from 5 came in and he had shot 10 spanish goats with 9 bullets. The reason he didn't shoot more was he was out of ammo. A guy from 2 brought in a 7.5+ 58lb doe and an Audad ewe. Next morning my truck wouldn't start and when I finally got it started I just packed up and went home but I saw 7 deer in my area as I was passing. Total animals as of 10:00 Wednesday morning:

4 does
                          1 Audad
                          11 Goats
                          3 Pigs

Comment

Good deal, thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X