First Trad Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Trad Hunt

So I finally got to go sit in the tree and see if I could have any luck. I have taken two doe in the past with the compound but this year I am going all trad. I am using a Bear Montana longbow.

Shot/Distance issue

I had a rabbit and a squirrel come in. I was initially going to let the rabbit pass but the longer it hung around the more confident that I could make the shot and decided I needed to start somewhere . I switched arrows to the "bunny buster" and let it fly. It was a dead on head shot at about 18 yards unfortunately the rabbit juked and was at least a foot away by the time the arrow got there. Is this common? Is my bow too loud? FYI, the shot REALLY angered the squirrel that was hanging by that rabbit and he let me know. :

Quiver Issue

What do you guys do for a quiver up in a tree stand? I have an old 5 arrow hip quiver that attaches to my hunting backup but its not made for wood arrows. I would like something quiet that I could pull an arrow depending on target which could be a deer (broadhead), critter (crappy broadhead or bunny buster), or stump that needs to be shot for fun.

Here are some other observations:

The longbow is quite long and presents some new challenges up in the tree. Branches that used to not be in the way are now in the way. My old compound bow holder doesn't really work and my pullup needs to be redesigned.
Working...
X