Riding lawnmower issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding lawnmower issues

I have a Craftsman riding lawnmower that was acting up this weekend. It is probably 10 -12 years old. It has always worked perfect.

I started mowing this weekend and it acted like it didn't have full power. I was guessing the carb was clogged up. As I mowed, it would bog down if I hit thicker than normal grass. That isn't normal. If I turned sharp, it would act like it was running out of gas and it would start cutting out. As soon as I stopped it would get back to almost a normal idle.

One time I was turning sharp while mowing and it killed the engine. As soon as it died I saw some smoke come out from under the hood. I opened it up and the smoke was coming out of the air intake. It wasn't much just a little smoke. I then noticed it had an oil leak on the side of the engine. It didn't look bad, just a little wet, but it wasn't there before I started mowing. I checked the oil and smoke came out from the dip stick area. It was about a quart low. I added the oil and put it away.

It wasn't low on oil before I started mowing. It didn't have a leak before I started. It was acting like it was being starved of gas while mowing.

Any ideas?

I will try to upload a picture of the oil leak.

I have a 2 year old Craftsman and it does something very similar. I found the problem to be a small clip that connects to the solenoid did not have a good connection. I Still have to mess with it nearly every time I mow. And 1 quart low is nearly empty in mine.
    Last edited by RutnBuk; 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Burnt ring?

A quart low is a lot on those size engines

Comment

Here is the leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

My craftsman does that every once in a while if I am low on gas and make a sharp turn on a little hill, it will sputter but once it gets leveled out it goes to running again.

Comment

I didn't mention, the gas tank was 90% full.

Comment

maybe the vacuum line from the engine to carb/fuel pump is clogged. And check the air filter
              ?

Comment

Blown sump gasket??? Bad rings/blow by, blew it out. Caused oil leak.
                Last edited by Abctx; 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

The air filter is just dusty, but not clogged.

Comment

Could it be a low oil sensor?
                    when you turned the oil was just low enough for the sensor to detected low oil and as you leveled out it detected enough oil to start running again.

Comment

Happened to my Deere and it was simply spark plugs.

Comment

air filter clogged

Comment

my granddad has had several craftsman do this. No clue what fixed it though. The lawnmower repair man says they are just not good mowers anymore-made by mtd who makes all the cheap riders now. He gives me heck for spending 5k on my zero turn but im sure he has more than that in mowers and parts during the same amount of time

Comment

Clean carb and sharpen blades

Comment

Working...
                            X