No announcement yet.

Ozonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, learning to read sign is more important than a trail cam. Trial cams only cover one station, and in a limited direction. Learning to read sign will tell you where to place them so you might can see what is currently visiting that sight. Learning what is currently being eaten, what will be eaten later, how fresh deer dung is, how fresh tracks are, what a bedding sight looks like, current water supply, how to tell the difference between what hogs, dillos, deer, and squirrels do under a tree with lots of leaves on the ground when you see push or kick marks or the leaves turned over, ect. will tell you a lot more. It won't give specifics on what deer is there. But could give you an idea of how many. And bucks are gonna go where the does are come the rut anyway.

I don't have an Ozonics. But do take great care in scent control, unless I'm gun hunting. I still practice scent control then too. But just don't take it as seriously. I wouldn't mind trying an Ozonics. But just don't get to the woods like I used to when I was younger due to limitations. And it's one more thing I'd have to pack in with my back condition.

Comment

Ozonics

I don't use an ozonics, but I do use an Ozone unit in a sealed tote with my hunting clothes before I get to my hunting area. Does it work considering I hike and sweat my tail off on the way in? Probably not.

I've tried scent killing sprays, Nose Jammer, all sorts of stuff. None of it is fool proof, and I don't think Ozone is either. I just play the wind, on both ACCESS routes and stand location. Here's an interesting link.

Hunting and fishing tactics from the pros, gear reviews, and adventure stories. Field & Stream is the Soul of the Total Outdoorsman.

TG's point is great. Because if you can't find sign, trail cams are worthless... unless you like hogs or other woodland critters on film [emoji23]. Whatever cam you choose to invest in, I'd suggest making sure you can lock it up, and that it's cheap. Walmart has a 6mp Tasco for $24 I've had decent luck with, and I take a tree step to hang it out of reach to lock it as well.

One other thing to mention, and you may well know this but the first year I ran a camera I got super excited. I'd take corn out each weekend and swap the SD card.

Come opening weekend, NONE of those bucks stayed within the area after the bachelor groups broke up, and to make things even worse, I put pressure on those deer by leaving scent everywhere each time I checked the cam.

Trail cameras can help, but checking them too frequently can let that buck know he's being hunted before you want him to know it too.
      Last edited by Kirby86; 08-05-2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I think im gonna pull the trigger on the ozonics. Not sure if i will get the hr 200 or 300. I know I will buy the extra battery. I will buy cameras as well later. Probably for right after season ends so I can do a true off season scout.

Anything I should know before buying ozonics machine? Accessories?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
          I think im gonna pull the trigger on the ozonics. Not sure if i will get the hr 200 or 300. I know I will buy the extra battery. I will buy cameras as well later. Probably for right after season ends so I can do a true off season scout.

Anything I should know before buying ozonics machine? Accessories?
          I believe the only thing that the Ozonics comes with is 1 6HR battery and a screw in style mount. I just purchased 2 8HR XL batteries and an extra charger and will be looking into getting the ground blind mount.

The directions that come with the unit recommend charging in Storage Mode during the offseason. I forgot to do this and now the battery wont even charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            I don't use an ozonics, but I do use an Ozone unit in a sealed tote with my hunting clothes before I get to my hunting area. Does it work considering I hike and sweat my tail off on the way in? Probably not.

I've tried scent killing sprays, Nose Jammer, all sorts of stuff. None of it is fool proof, and I don't think Ozone is either. I just play the wind, on both ACCESS routes and stand location. Here's an interesting link.

Hunting and fishing tactics from the pros, gear reviews, and adventure stories. Field & Stream is the Soul of the Total Outdoorsman.

TG's point is great. Because if you can't find sign, trail cams are worthless... unless you like hogs or other woodland critters on film [emoji23]. Whatever cam you choose to invest in, I'd suggest making sure you can lock it up, and that it's cheap. Walmart has a 6mp Tasco for $24 I've had decent luck with, and I take a tree step to hang it out of reach to lock it as well.

One other thing to mention, and you may well know this but the first year I ran a camera I got super excited. I'd take corn out each weekend and swap the SD card.

Come opening weekend, NONE of those bucks stayed within the area after the bachelor groups broke up, and to make things even worse, I put pressure on those deer by leaving scent everywhere each time I checked the cam.

Trail cameras can help, but checking them too frequently can let that buck know he's being hunted before you want him to know it too.
            Interesting read Kirby. I have noticed that the deer seem to know that something isn't quite right but never go on full alert. i've been busted more by downwind deer from my movement than from scent.

Comment

I know the wind is huge (now I do).

Last year my stand was facing south and the wind was a south wind during archery season. Seen plenty of deer.

During rifle season when I went back, wind was from the north and I didn't see anything.

This year, I decided to educate myself on why (lol). Now I know what it means to hunt the wind.

That being said, my goal is increase my percentages to fill the freezer. Once I get good at killing deer, I might then choose to make it more challenging. For now, I will take all the help I can get.

Comment

Well. I made the plunge. Picked up a HR200 (Cabelas had them on sale for $300). I picked up the XL battery as well. Hopefully in a few months, I won't need to depend on what others are saying about Ozonics. I will be able to tell you myself.

Comment

Look forward to hearing the results. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                    I own both cameras and an ozonics.

I think I would buy some cameras w/locks before I bought an ozonics if I was in your situation.

No sense in owning an ozonics if you are hunting in an area with no deer. There would be nothing to smell you.....
                    I agree with this. Plus, hunting in the forest you can get high enough to get you above the scent line.

I'm an ozonics fan but like Rob said, it's at it's best in a blind. Not what you'll likely be doing.

I Have a Moultrie TC that I'd sell you for $50 shipped. It's the smaller unit that runs on 8 AA batteries. I have 3 and they've been great little camera's for me. I could even be talked into selling you 2 of them as I'm using a Covert now. I'll also include a 4GB chip.

You could search around on here and get a used Ozonics and possibly have both before season starts.

Now get to posting so you can PM.

OOPs...didn't see your last post about picking up an ozonics. Good choice and even better choice on the XL Battery. My offer still stands if you're interested in the camera.
                    Last edited by Slick8; 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I have owned several, is it the end all be all? No, it is a tool that can help in scent control. Worth the money?maybe depending on situation and setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X