Selling a Firearm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling a Firearm

As I look through classifieds on various forums, I see a lot of people saying “TX LTC Required for Sale” or “Bill of Sale Required.”

WHY??

ATF says you don’t have to keep a record of what you sell, nor does it matter if they have a LTC, DL, credit card, vote from congress, or if the person is an ordained minister.

So why are so many so adamant about those documents? All that is required is that the seller believes the buyer to be legal to own a firearm. A simple question takes care of this.

I don’t know about others but were I selling a firearm knowing the buyer has a LTC means that at least at one point he was not a felon and could legally own a firearm. I would not want to sell to a felon, have the firearm used in a crime and have it traced back to me.

Comment

CYA and peace of mind in most cases I'm sure.

Comment

I don’t get it either and I’ve been selling, trading and buying firearms a long time. The only obligation is to reasonably assume that the purchaser is a Texas resident and legally able to own and possess a firearm. Period.
        That being said, most of my transactions are from this site or others or from friends of friends, etc. But I have been known to request to see a Texas Drivers License to ensure they are indeed a state resident.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          The only obligation is to reasonably assume that the purchaser is a Texas resident and legally able to own and possess a firearm. Period.
          I can understand why some people ask to see a LTC, since that immediately tells you they aren't a felon and are from Texas. Some people like to cover their butts more than others.

Comment

Homebrew gun control.

I myself like to see a credit report, valid Tx drivers license and proof of insurance if you buy a used vehicle with cash from me. Never can be too careful.

Comment

I require SSN, Mother’s maiden name and street you grew up on.

Comment

All I want to know is if you have the money and if you identify as male, female, or other !

Comment

The last transaction I made was with another TBH'r In a Walmart parking lot. I looked over the rifle; he didn't count the cash. The rifle went into my truck and then we talked about what hunts we had done for the next 15 minutes.

Comment

I do it because I’ve had ATF call my buddy because a gun registered to my buddy, who had sold it some ten years ago to his friend. Then that friend sold it to another friend, well the latest owner used it in a murder and since the last paper trail was In my buddies name. He had to explain and get all the info of the man he sold it to. Well that guy was dead, so that was even more of a problem to prove he had sold it almost a decade before to a guy who couldn’t vouche for it not say he sold it to the suspect.
                    Just a pain, but with a proof of sale with signatures, dates, and serial number just makes it a lot easier. At least that what I was told by my local ATF guy. Who knows though
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                      I do it because I’ve had ATF call my buddy because a gun registered to my buddy, who had sold it some ten years ago to his friend. Then that friend sold it to another friend, well the latest owner used it in a murder and since the last paper trail was In my buddies name. He had to explain and get all the info of the man he sold it to. Well that guy was dead, so that was even more of a problem to prove he had sold it almost a decade before to a guy who couldn’t vouche for it not say he sold it to the suspect.
                      Just a pain, but with a proof of sale with signatures, dates, and serial number just makes it a lot easier. At least that what I was told by my local ATF guy. Who knows though

Why was it registered at all? Did you ask the ATF that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Liability" and "Due Diligence"...same reason I run a background investigation on students before I let them into a course.

Comment

The ATF officer used to frequent my department for that sort of thing and we hunted together so I asked him about that sort of deal. It wasn’t “registered” in the sense of being listed like in other states. But the last report of selling the firearm on a 4473 form was his name and address. So when the pistol was found they ran the serial number for the last transaction to find out who owned it it popped up as a sale to my friend at a pawn shop like 15 years ago. So they went straight to him since they didn’t really have any leads on the murderer at that time.

Comment

Would you take a personal check with no ID selling a gun? I wouldn't, and doing so would cause you a lot less headache than selling a gun with no proof and it getting used and confiscated in a crime.

You aren't trying to protect yourself from honest people. You are trying to protect yourself from those who aren't. Living in CO a transfer is required. I have had people offer to sell me guns without one. I insist on doing it proper. Do I like a FFL transfer required and do I like paying the fee? No. But, it is the law and I am going to abide by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Why was it registered at all? Did you ask the ATF that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Post #13 I didn’t quote my bad

Comment

Working...
                              X