Truck buing advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck buing advice please?

Fixing to break down and get a new truck first time buying new. Stuck between a tundra and the F-150. Been driving an 04 F150 v8 4.6. 140k miles. What should I lookout for when dealing with the dealerships?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Buying new or used? Lookout for those sneaky salesman. Go in with your set amount and if it doesnt feel right, dont be afraid to walk away. I usually search pricing within 200 miles of where I live.

Comment

Don’t be afraid to walk out on a price you aren’t happy with. Talk buying price before talking trade in amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought mine off the interwebs. AutoTrader.com. Shopped them for couple months. No hassles or haggling. Super easy and saved thousands. The dealers are super competitive with those trucks so they have their best prices posted.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
          Bought mine off the interwebs. AutoTrader.com. Shopped them for couple months. No hassles or haggling. Super easy and saved thousands. The dealers are super competitive with those trucks so they have their best prices posted.
          That's what they tell you. They will usually always come off some more.

Comment

Watch for their mouth to be moving. If it’s moving, then they’re lying!

Comment

Are you trading or selling outright? If you have the time, sell yours outright. I also get my financing in line BEFORE I go. That way I know exactly what I can spend and what my payments are, as well as having my interest rate approved. Then I shop a bunch of dealers and let them fight for my business. I usually walk out on four or five deals before I end up buying one. I never fall in love with a truck and Love ruining salesmen’s day if they start getting sleezy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                Are you trading or selling outright? If you have the time, sell yours outright. I also get my financing in line BEFORE I go. That way I know exactly what I can spend and what my payments are, as well as having my interest rate approved. Then I shop a bunch of dealers and let them fight for my business. I usually walk out on four or five deals before I end up buying one. I never fall in love with a truck and Love ruining salesmen’s day if they start getting sleezy!!
                Good advice there, but I'll add this. DO NOT tell the salesman that you already have financing setup and ready to go. They'll negotiate more on price, if they feel they can "make it back" when they get you to the finance dept. Another plus of having your financing set and ready to go, the whole "what do you want your payment to be" hogwash can be nipped in the bud before you ever walk thru the doors. Be firm and let them know that if the price is right, the payments will be where they need to be. They don't need to know that you have financing lined out and already know what your payments will be

Comment

so far I have been pre-approved through my bank for about 50k at 2.0% interest. just been kicking tires at the dealership trying to find a good deal and a truck to suit my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by PiNoyHunter View Post
                    so far I have been pre-approved through my bank for about 50k at 2.0% interest. just been kicking tires at the dealership trying to find a good deal and a truck to suit my needs.

That’s not bad at all. I’m in the same stage as you. Finally decide I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new F250 so I’ve been doing my homework the last couple months. I’ve been told by multiple banks that interest rates are sucky right now. My credit can do me for 3.8% right now which is a lot higher than my last one! I just found out today that the color I want is being discontinued in the 2019s so I’ll have to find what I want out of what’s left.

Comment

Most all Houston area Toyota dealers are owned by Gulf States Toyota. They can all honor the same price another gives you. Beat them up using each other as ammo. You will probably be able to get a better deal on the Ford than the Tundra. Don't be afraid to walk out if you don't get the deal you want. It is close to the end of the month and they will be ready to deal.

Know your credit score, and competitive rates. Use their financing deals to get incentives and then refinance at a better rate.

Comment

Find the truck online that you want. Take about 10-15% off the retail price and don't settle until you get that price. When you go to whatever dealership has the truck advertised, tell them immediately that if they try to play any games, you are walking out. They will still try, and when they do, politely thank them for their time and start walking out. Tell them not to ask what you want your payment to be. Negotiate the sale price on the new one, then move to the trade if that's what you are doing (both numbers are exclusive of each other, one has nothing to do with the other). Then talk financing. Show them that you are serious and they will do their best to EARN your business. If not, move on to the next one.

Comment

Yes, steer clear of the “ how much a month were you looking to spend” bs.

That’s nunya.
                          How much is this truck drive out?
                          (Is the only question I want answered).

And watch out for the sales managers office- they put confusing dust in the ventilation to that room and will have your head spinning in no time.
                          NO is my answer to most of the questions-

I don’t want a paint sealant
                          I don’t want an extended warranty
                          (Salesman says it’s the most reliable thing going, sales manager warns you it’s going to fall the pieces as soon as the factory warranty ends and empty your bank account)

I don’t want an alarm
                          I don’t want my bed sprayed
                          I don’t want my windows etched
                          I don’t want my windows tinted
                          I don’t want the oil change package
                          (Coworker just got burned on that one when dealership changed names)
                          I don’t want my interior treated
                          Etc.
                          All of those items can be done at a later date (if desired) and not financed for the length of the loan.

My last truck purchase I just set down and said “I don’t want any” he started on his list and after a few “nopes” he said “I gotcha” and the charade ended.

Btw, GAP insurance is much cheaper at the credit union if you finance through them.
                          In the past I have taken the incentives the dealer offers to finance through their brand, then after a month or two of payments refinanced at the credit union for my convenience and usually lower cost overall.

Ford vs Toyota- go drive both in your price range and see which one trips your trigger the best for the amount of money spent.

Comment

Originally posted by PiNoyHunter View Post
                            Good rate. I’m shopping too. What bank if yo don’t mind me asking.

Comment

Look out for dealer add ons!

Comment

Working...
                              X