Long work commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long work commute?

Me and the wife are kicking around the idea of moving to our property outside of Brenham. Only issue is this would create a 2 hr one way travel to work for me... now let me explain because some of y’all may already think I’m nuts for even considering this. I work a rotating shift schedule ( DuPont schedule). Without overtime I work 14 days a month and have 7 consecutive days off every month. The way I look at it there are people who sit in Houston traffic everyday for more than 2 hours and work 5 days a week... I’m thinking just buy a cheap commuter car and roll with it. Anyone else do something similar or have attempted it? Or am I still nuts for even thinking about it?

Id say nuts - I die an hour everyday.

Some people dont mind the drive, but I have never understood it when you add all of them hours up.

I have kiddos that are fun though. I play catch and run around with my Son, kick the soccer ball around with one of my Daughters, throw another Daughter around and then can usually fit some bumping and setting in with my tallest Daughter.
    Last edited by jer_james; 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I work the DuPont schedule also, and I would hate traveling 4 hours a day on to of the 12 hour shift. That wouldn’t leave much time in the day to do anything but sleep and do it again. I guess it would depend on the family also. A lot of my time spent with my son is after I get off work/before I got in on nights since I work 2 weekends out of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
        I work the DuPont schedule also, and I would hate traveling 4 hours a day on to of the 12 hour shift. That wouldn’t leave much time in the day to do anything but sleep and do it again. I guess it would depend on the family also. A lot of my time spent with my son is after I get off work/before I got in on nights since I work 2 weekends out of the month.
        This is the one thing that concerns me, but also as it is now with only a 20 minute drive to and from work I don’t see my boys hardly at all when I work days and not at all working nights. Just part of the sacrifice we make to be able to make the big bucks right? I think in the long run they would appreciate growing up out in the country, would just be hard for them to understand at the time.

Comment

I do 80 miles 1 way every day. Well worth it when I get home.

Comment

Ive done an hour and a half and hated every bit of it. My office is now only about 30 minutes away, but I am currently looking at some office space that is about 5 minutes from my house. We will see what happens. Some people don't mind the drive. Which person are you?

Comment

I do about 160 miles round trip 5 days a week, but its mostly FM roads not much city driving.

Going from Brenham to Santa Fe you would have to go through or around Houston which is going to add traffic time. That would be tough for me to do on top of a 12HR day.

Comment

My wife and I have a similar commute.

We only have one kid at home and he’s about to graduate high school.

When you live in a place as large as DFW you either live in the metroplex that covers 100 miles radius or elect to live outside that area and commute to live where you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I moved from Austin to Smithville and still work in Austin. It's about 100 miles round trip for me and I wish I would have done it sooner. I couldn't get out of that weird place soon enough

Comment

Man you will be fine. Just takes a lil adjusting to get used to. I dove from San Antonio to OKC every Monday morning and back on Friday for 10 months straight. 7.5/8 hrs one way. Then transferred to Odessa and mad that drive from SATX to Odessa every M/F. I'm now back in San Antonio and drive 55 minutes across SA to Pleasanton to my new office. Possibly may be moving to Corpus in a few months and that drive will be 100 miles one way. I drove 98k plus miles last year and those 100 mile trips are nothing now

Comment

1 accident on the way to and from work, can easily make that 2 hr drive a 3 hr drive. Say you have to be at work at 0500. Are you going to be able to get up at 0230, get ready and leave no later than 0300. Work 12 hrs, get off at 1700, start of the height of traffic in the Greater Houston Area. Beltway 8 at the height of traffic is a beast, plus you'll have to hit 290 which, is another beast. I would say your drive home during a day shift would be more like 3 hrs. Or, you fight traffic and stop lights on Hwy 6 to get to Grand Parkway. Say you get home at 1930, eat dinner with the family and it's already 2030 by the time you get to bed. This doesn't include spending any extra time with the wife or kiddo's. Providing you sack out right at that moment, that is only 6 hrs sleep. Now, figure in extra wear and tear on any vehicle plus gas and routine maintenance. Current drive time as of this post from Santa Fe to Brenham is 2 hrs and 8 min. You can always make the drive one day from work to Brenham, on one of your off days, during your expected travel hours to see if you really want to make that drive daily.

Comment

We moved out of town with 40 mile commute in dfw, moving back to town as the little one changed things...life’s too short!

Comment

We moved to our place in September of '16. I went from a 10 minute drive to work to an hour drive. It took me about year to really get used to it. I couldn't imagine a 2 hour drive after a 12 hour shift.

And that little commuter car you speak of...I did that. I hit a raccoon doing 75-80 in a Nissan Altima. The coon won. $3,800 to fix that. I traded it in on a truck the day it came out of the body shop. There are lots of critters on the road in the country after dark.

Comment

I live on Cedar Creek Lake and commute to Plano every day. It's about 1 1/2 hours each way if there are no wrecks on 635. There are never no wrecks on 635 182 miles round trip. I love my little place on the lake but it's hard to make a living down there.

Comment

I drive a hour and 10 minutes one way and work 10s 5-6 days a week. Wasn't bad when we didn't have kids but now with 2 little ones its starting to wear on me. I couldn't imagine 4 hour round trip on top of 12s even if its only 14 days a month. What I drive is straight highway with no traffic which helps but its still tuff at times to make it back in time for things.

Comment

Working...
                              X