Progression from a .243?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My oldest boy is outgrowing his youth model .243. I'm gonna hand it down to his little brother and move him into a standard sized rifle. I could buy another .243, but would like to try something different. My question is this...What is the best option?? Keeping in mind, he is 11 and I would prefer to keep recoil low. Most likely not trying to shoot past 200-300 yards. Primarily for deer and hogs. Would like to be able to easily find ammunition. Also, must be a bolt gun. He hunts in the Texas youth hunt program, so no AR's
    What is your opinion?? Would a 308 with a brake be to harsh on the recoil??

Thanks

Hate to throw the usual out there but 6.5 creedmoor with no break needed. Factory ammo, accurate, and little recoil. Be a good gun for a long time to.

Comment

What about the program does not allow ARs?

6.5 Grendel is an awesome cartridge for what you are looking for.

The 6.5CM and .308 also check the boxes.

Comment

Not sure what your budget is but a mod 70 feather weight in 7mm-08 would be right up you alley. Better performance than the .243 but milder on recoil than a .308. Also ammo is readily available almost anywhere. And would be a nice classy rifle that will last his lifetime.

Also I would avoid a brake if at all possible they are super loud and have been known to cause flinching from the concussion. Buy him some reduced recoil loads or load some mild loads for a couple years if needed to let him get more size to him to handle the full power loads with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by westtexducks; 02-15-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

25-06?

Comment

7-08

Comment

I vote 7mm 08 or a 25-06 with the latter being my first choice.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                What about the program does not allow ARs?

6.5 Grendel is an awesome cartridge for what you are looking for.

The 6.5CM and .308 also check the boxes.
                They don't allow AR's and most of the hunts only allow single feeding.

Comment

Another vote for 7mm-08.

And I have one for sale in the classifieds. Remington model 7

Last edited by ColinR; 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

.25-06

Comment

7mm-08 would be great with lots of loads available. Great shooter with very little recoil and good range.

Comment

7-08. I gave two. My kids grew up on them and still love them.

Comment

3006 And reduced recoil loads. Then he is set forever

Comment

My son went from a 223 to a heavy dpms ar 10 in 308. No kick and very accurate. But since thats not an option, 6.5 creedmoor or 260 with a muzzlebrake. No kick whatsoever and accurate as can be. My daughter shoots the 6.5 and now my son shoots a 260, both with muzzlebrakes

Comment

I've looked into this same issue recently. I found the following calibers were consistently recommended:

6.5 Grendel
                              6.5 Creedmoor
                              7mm08
                              25-06

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All calibers will kill them equally dead at the ranges you are talking about. And they all should have manageable recoil for your son. I could be mistaken, but I think ammo availability and price will be somewhat consistent for all of them (although I feel like the 6.5 Grendel is not quite as available off the shelf as the others).

I ended up getting the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 7mm08. I have had no problem finding ammo for $20-$30 a box at the local Academy and Walmart.

The 308 you mentioned has the best ammo availability, but for some reason I could never get really excited about it.

Just to throw it out there, I got a 270 when I was 12 in a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I still have that rifle and it is my favorite rifle I own. While its not as popular or hot a caliber as some of the new ones out there, it is a great caliber and very versatile. I never had any trouble with the recoil.

Comment

Working...
                              X